October 22nd, 2007

Dozens of Capitol Hill protesters arrested

Protesters block the entrance to the Cannon House Office Building on Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Police on Monday arrested dozens of protesters who blocked the doors and streets outside congressional buildings near the U.S. Capitol.Nearly 60 were arrested on various charges, including unlawful assembly, said Sgt. Kimberly Schneider, spokeswoman for the U.S. Capitol police.

Police handcuffed a female protester dressed in a black pullover emblazoned with "Blackwater" and the U.S. security contractor's paw print symbol.

– CNN Producer Paul Courson

Full story

Filed under: Capitol Hill
  1. Eric, from THEocracy Republic of Texas

Yippee! Keep on acting like kooks, neo-cons!

The elections are a mere 12 months away. The kookier you act, the more we can record for posterity later! (ie campaign commercials)

I'm hoping you nutjobs will escalate this nonsense right up to your very own Oliver North Moment come election day.

Then, maybe then, the actual Repugnantcans can wrestle control of their party back from the the neo-PNAC Israel kissing born again did-wods(ie Ann Coulter robots).

October 22, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. joseph, austin, tx

chris, Orange county
    Dont ever blaim Texas for producing the Bush family. You can thank the North East, I think conn. GW and his family moved here. I do agree with Erik, maybe if instead of protesting not being able to afford health insurance, work for it. Thats what all the "non victims" do.

October 22, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  3. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Who do soldiers in Iraq hate more

A) Hippy kids protesting the use of mercenaries in Iraq, or

B) Mercenaries in Iraq?

Posted By Antonio, Tempe AZ : October 22, 2007 2:38 pm

I'll go with C – bleeding heart cut and run liberals.

They vote OVERWHELMINGLY for Republicans for a reason, and that is why Al Gore wanted to throw out the absentee military ballots.

Don't worry "Antonio", I now exactly where my recruiter is, been there and proudly VOLUNTEERED, just like these brave men and women who are serving now.

NO problem with these protestors doing what they are doing, but sorry, running around in polar bear suits while us Republicans are working, is going to piss a few people off.

October 22, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. LaAngeloMysterioso - NYC

Antonio: They hate the mercenaries more. If our wonderful commander in chief heard Tommy Franks call for 400,000 to pacify Iraq there would be no need for mercenaries. Its disgraceful what our fighting men must endure by an inept president and neocons like you that support him. And you thought Mn Nat'l Guard came home 1 day before getting benefits after over a year in country was an accident.

October 22, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. Stephen, Naples, Florida

Good point, Chris, but what about the wackos in Waco who tried to stand up for their beliefs a few years back? At least these guys only got arrested, not incinerated. But, hey, Clinton was President then, so it must be OK.

October 22, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  6. Already Overtaxed, NY

To all of you who keep kicking Bush because of SCHIP, Our family of 5 has lived at or below poverty level for the past 35 yrs. We presently gross $41,000, have everything we NEED and always pay our bills. Why should we also have to pay for the health care (yeah!we pay taxes, too!) of children whose parents earn $20-40,000 more, per year, than we do? Bush sees the injustice, thank God!

October 22, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  7. Kate, Aurora CO

Henry Tucker: so to you and all the other republicans, exercising your right to free speech and protests makes you a "wacko"? I think going along with and supporting a president who has a below 30% approval rating as well as an administration sinking in controversy is "wacko".

October 22, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Posted By Eric, from THEocracy Republic of Texas

Yippee! Keep on acting like kooks, neo-cons!

October 22, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. Karen,nj

CHRIS..keep wondering....

October 22, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. LaAngeloMysterioso - NYC

Just wondering if Rudy as president would declare protesters enemy combatants to deny them habeas corpus. On 42nd St. in Manhattan a man was arrested for talking with two friends on a sidewalk by a God with a badge (Livoti syndrome) policeman that had asked him to move and was refused. That is his legacy in law enforcement.

October 22, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. Corbett, Seattle WA

Henry Tucker in Georgia,

Eric from THE Republic of Texas

Ronnie in knoxville tn

Great attitudes guys. It's people like you that make your states suck ass.

(Deep apologies Sam in Nashville please don't hate me)

October 22, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. John P. Falzarano, Hornell, NY

LOL- I NOTICE THE NEOCON NAZI'S ARE CACKLING CHICKENS. JUST CUT THERE HEADS OFF AND WATCH THE NEOCONS RUN AROUND IN CIRCLES. SAYING O crap WE GOT CAUGHT. GET THE FRYING PAN OUT.

October 22, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. Posted By Eric, from THEocracy Republic of Texas : October 22, 2007 3:22 pm

Yippee! Keep on acting like kooks, neo-cons!

October 22, 2007 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  14. the north

"John Lennon was a dope-smoking peacenic which insulted those vets that sacrificed their lives."

And is Henry from Georgia, who sounds like an alcoholic war-mongerer, not a bigger insult to those who remember what this country once meant, and stood for? I'd fight to save the polar bears far in advance from saving these gun-shooting, RV driving waste-cases...

October 22, 2007 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Mike, New York

All these conservatist right wingers are saying support the troops, keep sending money to protect america. I have a better idea for you people that support war, go enlist or send your children to Iraq to support our American values. Thats the best support you can give your country, instead of sitting on your high horse and sipping on your latte's criticizing everyone who is anti-war. I will take your criticism's more seriously when you're sending them from Iraq!!!!

October 22, 2007 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. Grace, Port Richey, FL

Eric, you are from the REPUBLIC OF TEXAS....hmm so that must mean you're not American and as such have no comment! Thank God that there are some people in this country who still stand up for what they believe. Our Founding Fathers would be proud of them, now if they would be proud of the CONS running the government, and their friends, I am not so sure, and I wonder why the CONS keep criticizing those who try to defend the Constitution of our country.....makes you wonder.

October 22, 2007 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  17. Moe, NY

I will protest whenever and wherever I want, with or without a permit. If I see something happening in America that I do not agree with, such as this oil war, then it is my duty as an American citizen to protest. Why should I even need a PERMIT to do so? Who is it that is granting this permission anyway? and why should they have the power to grant or decline a permit? Sounds unamerican to me!

October 22, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  18. Eric, from THE Republic, yes, the REPUBLIC, of Texas

Ah, yes, there is that liberal "tolerance" of which we're so often reminded.

I was told that my views are "narrow minded." That's lib-speak for "any views with which I disagree."

Conservatives don't consider liberal views "narrow minded" or "hate speech." We just think they're naive, and dare I say, so "College-Freshman-Year."

October 22, 2007 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  19. Justin, Lawrence, KS

Hey Eric,

Maybe before attacking McGovern you should know a little bit about the great man. Its ridiculous to hear people ever attack one of the greatest leaders our country has had in our last 40 years. Even before he started the World Food Program and fought world hunger and poverty, he flew 28 bomber missions in World War II into occupied Germany. Anyone who attacks George McGovern attacks a fellow veteran like myself, who has seen the horrors of war and wishes it upon no one.

October 22, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. Gary, Detroit, Mich.

Henry Tucker GA

Have you and your hound dog ever heard of "spell-check"? Your neck is so red I can see it from here. Yall yall.

October 22, 2007 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. ronnie knoxville tn.

why don't these protesters do something positive instead of dividing our country like this

October 22, 2007 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  22. Robert Burns, Ocean Beach, San Diego, CA

Hey, GA, you sound like you have heat prostration. There was nothing but an hint of the cause behind the protest, so how can you label them "wackos"?!?

October 22, 2007 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  23. jeff d. , burlington , vt.

Bunch o' hippies !

October 22, 2007 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  24. Robert Burns, Ocean Beach, San Diego, CA

GA, here's a limited apology: Sorry, I didn't notice the inconspicuous bluish "Full story" link irresponsibly burrying the purpose of the protest. That aside, I would rather the political theatre no have involved blocking public accessways; in my opinion it only cheapens the political expression.

October 22, 2007 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  25. D. Endo, Honolulu HI

Last I checked, don't we have the right to peaceable assembly guaranteed by the Constitution? Oh yeah, I forgot, this administration believes that the Constitution is a quaint collection of thoughts. These people are doing what I wish that we could...protest the corruption of the corporate war machine and how this adminstration is so far up the corporate machine's butt that they can taste their lunch. I'm so sick of neocons saying that whenever anyone questions the war, "we are traitors and don't support the troops." I support the troops...Bring them home...don't let another man or woman die for this corrupt and evil administration.

October 22, 2007 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |