October 23rd, 2007

Hillary opens up on romance with Bill

Sen. Clinton said she is 'really happy' she made the decision to stay with husband Bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is quite the romantic husband, according to wife Hillary.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner discusses her relationship with her famous spouse in the latest issue of Essence Magazine, describing how the former president often showers her with gifts when returning from trips abroad.

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips," the New York senator told the magazine. "He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch…I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth.”

Clinton adds she is "really happy" she decided to stay with her husband following the news of his affair in 1996 with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

"Obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows," she told the magazine. “But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision."

"Again, not a decision for everybody," she continued. "And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them.”

Clinton also describes her first impressions of the future president when passing him by chance at Yale Law School in 1971.

"I thought he was very attractive. I mean, he was tall. At the time he had long hair and a red beard. His hair was much more red-gold, and it was curly, and he had a vikingesque beard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Dave, Evergreen CO

She stayed with him because he is a brilliant political tactician with an enormous amount of important political contacts. Like everything she says or does this decision was based on what is best for her career.

October 23, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. James, Phoenix AZ

Hillary said,

---–

You have GOT to be kidding us!! Hillary is going to gush about how romantic Bill, the philanderer is?? She's lucky along with the stiff giraffe, Bill didn't bring her a dose of Gonorrhea!

Sadly – there is a segment of this country will actually believe her and feel warm & fuzzy by Hillary's fake admonitions.

October 23, 2007 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. Tom, AlBUQUERQUE, NM

If America had a King and Queen, William Jefferson Clinton and Hillary R Clinton would be our royalty. Bill and Hillary are the most loved and most reviled couple in the country.
    Bill at his worst is 100 times better than Bush and Hillary, well, she is nonpariel. These two are an American treasure, much to the dismay of republicans.

October 23, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. MS, NY, NY

I think, based on her upbringing, she believed in her Marriage Vows and practiced them.

October 23, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Maria, Houston

Oh, gag me...

October 23, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  6. WMD, Chicago, IL

I wonder if he ever brought her back a STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) from any of his trips?

October 23, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  7. Chris, Middletown, CT

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips" – she needs to check the engraving for other womens names....omg...this is a riot!

October 23, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

Why yes. Without "investing" in her marriage to Bill, she might not be running for president right now.

We all have to pay our dues, I guess.

October 23, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. pl. at the UN for a while.

Dave,
    a bit cynical, aren't we?
    Explain to me and your fellow Americans why it is not appropriate for women to make alliances in order to pursue their interests.
    Is that not what men have been doing amongst themselses since the beginning of eternity?

October 23, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. Tom Dedham, Mass

CNN, tell you what, the next time these two kiss, post the picture and that will be a story worth reporting.

He brings you gifts out of guilt, not love, there is a difference.

Now, what could he be guilty of...

If she thinks Monica was the only affair, she is as misguided and jaded as her cult like sheep.

I give these two GREAT, GREAT credit for their sheer political brilliance by putting this is Essense magazine and trying to reframe the truth about their "relationship" before others tell the truth and "redefining" it.

He is an excellent and brilliant politician, she was therefore brilliant to stay with him.

She would not even get close to the presidency if it were not for him, period.

Yep, the same can be said for the idiot Bush as well.

October 23, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Vast progressive conspiracy New York, NY

I could care less about her sticking with a cheating husband.

What I do care about is her sticking with George W Bush and Dick Cheney by voting for their war in Iraq.

The truth will be known about Ann Coulter's favorite candidate for the Democratic nomination.

October 23, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. Amy, Seattle, WA

Wow, Dave, Evergreen CO, you seem to know everything about women! The Clintons are a nice couple. They are both brilliant remarkable people.. So keep your envy for yourself.

October 23, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  13. Bob, San Francisco, CA

Naturally the haters will jump on this and say the whole relationship is a sham or one of convenience. Idiots aside, however, I think the Clintons display a more genuine form of family values than the fire-breathing hate mongers who often have trouble practicing what they preach.
    Bill Clinton never moralized from the pulpit, so don't bother trying to bring up the whole Monica debacle (like that's going to stop the haters).
    Hillary has shown strength to work through their personal issues that were made public by a group of dispicable old men who were often doing the same thing on the side (or even worse...hello Larry Craig!!!)

October 23, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  14. Wayne, Greenville, TX

Posted By Tom, AlBUQUERQUE, NM : October 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Which is why at the last GOP debate, they spent more time attacking Hillary than talking about themselves. Guess the "Party of Ideas" is fresh out.......

Bill and Hillary may have had rough times, but who hasn't? One way or the other, they made their marriage work – unlike that marital "cut-and-runner", Rudy Giuliani.

October 23, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. Philip, Elkhart IN

A guy I know used to always cheat on his wife. Every business trip he went on he would bring her back a nice gift.

What a romantic.

October 23, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  16. pl. at the UN for a while.

Here is one money-raising idea for Ms Rodham Clinton.
    Perfect this take by CNN and offer it for sale–or donations. This take has got to be as loving as it gets in politics, and the envy of many honeymooners.

October 23, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

With friends like these, who needs enemas?

October 23, 2007 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. Jim, Atlanta, GA

Wow! Dave can read Hillary's mind! When are you going on the road, Dave?

Assuming Dave is correct, what makes Hillary different from most other politicians, business executives and others in positions of power and influence? I don't agree with everything Hillary says but I don't dismiss her arbitrarily either. I weigh her arguments carefully against those put forth by others and try to determine what's best.

At least, she has concrete proposals for solving problems. I see no real proposals from Republican candidates. They chant the same mantra, "cut taxes, cut spending", but don't spell out any details about how specific programs should function and how they should be funded.

October 23, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. Mike, Cleveland, OH

I'm not a Hillary supporter, but...

I'm sure Chris from Middletown will post something about Hillary and Saul Alinsky again...

Truth is that Hillary was not a mentor or a student of Saul Alinsky. All she did was write a thesis about him. A thesis is hardly worthy of scorn considering many students write reports every year about Hitler, Mussolini, and other evil people.
    They were both from Chicago area and she met him 3 times. Not to mention that the paper was written nearly 40 years ago.

FYI, I'm not defending Alinsky with this post, I'm not that radical. I'm also not voting for Hillary either. I just feel if you are going to attack a person, do it on the issues not what they did 40 years ago in college.

October 23, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  20. Linda Carter, Portland, OR

You right wing bloggers, whether you like it or not, there is no qualified candidate in your camp as Hillary. So, just shut up! Who cares about Hillary and Bill's marriage life? As long as Hillary as a President (with help from Bill) runs this country smoothly without cowboy mentality and brings prosparity and peace, its all that matters. We have seen for the past 7 years how disasterous this country was run by such a wonderful and religious family man Bush with the help from Cheney, Rumsfield, and Rove.

October 23, 2007 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. CAROLE ALLENDALE NEW JERSEY

CALUCULATIONS– ITS ALL ABOUT CALCULATIONS.. SHAMELESS PEOPLE

October 23, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  22. Angelia, Indiana

Not hating, but just making an observation. Hilly stayed w/ Bill b/c she knew she eventually wanted to be in politics herself, and let's face it, without Bill, she would never even have become a senator, nor get as close as she is to presidency. And to those who think she ran the country, what a laugh. I would rather see Michael Jackson and that monkey he used to have as Pres and VP for that fish out of water Hilly.

October 23, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  23. Emily, DC

I am surprised by so many of the reactions people have to the Clinton marriage. Its fine if you don't like Hillary Clinton, but this dislike because of her marriage is really upsetting. Her and Bill do not have the perfect marriage, but how many of you would look like the happy married couple if every single thing you did, every kiss, every trip, every comment, was analyzed with skepticism. I am sure most marriages would look terrible. I do admire the Clinton marriage in one way...it is a marriage where both the man and woman can have successful careers. Hillary didn't just decide she wanted her own political career after Bill became president. She has, since the begining of their marriage, been a successful woman with strong aspirations. Women should not be expected to put their careers on hold if they marry men with equal strong goals.
    Cheating is terrible and I don't approve of that. But, their marriage is between them and I feel like there are many more important issues for people to analyze than this.

October 23, 2007 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. John Adkisson, Sacramento, Californiia

Big mistake for Clitnon to discuss personal issues. This makes it fair game for the media:

1. Who will be in charge?

2. What are the constitutional and practical implications of an essentially "dual" presidency?

3. How can the Clitnon's raise objections to the media's or the republicans' airing of "dirty" laundry, when they attempt to score political points with their "romantic" laundry.

I am glad for any couple who makes it through tough times. But this is not a qualification for president - and, in fact, the focus on the marriage is a misstep.

One president at a time should be responsible for leading the executive branch - how can Senator Clinton fire or demote former President Clinton if he deserves it? It will never happen because they both know too much about one another. Dangerous.

October 23, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  25. tk, columbia, il

give me a break...she is delusional

October 23, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |