October 23rd, 2007

Hillary opens up on romance with Bill

Sen. Clinton said she is 'really happy' she made the decision to stay with husband Bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is quite the romantic husband, according to wife Hillary.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner discusses her relationship with her famous spouse in the latest issue of Essence Magazine, describing how the former president often showers her with gifts when returning from trips abroad.

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips," the New York senator told the magazine. "He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch…I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth.”

Clinton adds she is "really happy" she decided to stay with her husband following the news of his affair in 1996 with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

"Obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows," she told the magazine. “But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision."

"Again, not a decision for everybody," she continued. "And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them.”

Clinton also describes her first impressions of the future president when passing him by chance at Yale Law School in 1971.

"I thought he was very attractive. I mean, he was tall. At the time he had long hair and a red beard. His hair was much more red-gold, and it was curly, and he had a vikingesque beard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Bob, Seattle, WA

What a joke. Everybody knows that he can't stand her, and she can't stand him. Just two power brokers that are 'drunk' on 'self' so badly that they will 'say' and 'do' anything to keep the wave rolling. Watch out when it all washes ashore, flattens out and disappears into nothingness. Fool the people once, shame on the liars. Fool the people twice, shame on the people. The people won't be fooled this time. What a disgraceful disrespect of the common sense of America.

October 23, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  2. Nina

I am happy she is opening up a little bit on her decision and her feelings on Pres. Clinton after the affair.

October 23, 2007 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. Beth, DC

"Does she REALLY want to act like she's the purveyor of family values?
    Posted By Matt R, FL : October 23, 2007 1:19 pm"

You've got to be kidding?! Why does Matt R think any politician needs to be a "purveyor of family values"? Hasn't he learned that any politician who claims be a pillar of family values is a hypocrite? From Newt Gingrich asking his wife for a divorce while she is in the hospital recovering from a cancer operation to Jesse Jackson getting his mistress pregnant, both sides of the fence are guilty of pretending to be on some kind of moral high horse. When will voters learn that this very subject should be a non-issue anyway? I'd much rather have a philandering president who keeps us out of bogus wars than an idiot who keeps his fly up and sends young people to die for WMD that don't exist!

October 23, 2007 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  4. Jake, Iowa

Newsflash Canadians: We don't care what you think.

October 23, 2007 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

I have never understood why so many people engage in personal attacks, one to another, when commenting on a story in the Ticker.

This is America, and though I disagree with many of the responses to this story on President and Senator Clinton. I don't begrudge the writers for having a different opinion than mine. That is one of the many things that make this country the best on earth.

We still couldn't call President Putin in Russia a fascist dictator, without endangering ourselves or our families.

But here, we can call President Bush a complete idiot, and President Clinton one of the best presidents in the modern era and feel relatively sure about seeing tomorrow.

But I do wonder sometimes, why would supposedly Christian Republicans wish the Clinton's had divorced?

As a Christian I am glad they worked through their problems and stayed together.

I hope that Republicans and Democrats can.

October 23, 2007 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. Rob, Chicago, Illinois

Hillary is calculating ? What an absolutly novel idea!! Imagine, thinking before you act? Now that's something that no one could accuse "W" of doing.

October 23, 2007 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. Bauer Richard Danbury Ct 06816

Hillary, He brings back gifts because he is feeling guilty about his behavior. Are you that naïve? You need to look at the track record and the two of you need to leave the American public alone. Go back to Arkansas. Best Regards

October 23, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. Kathy Ingham, Hungtington Beach, California

The sight of it wants to make me throw up....if this isn't staged...NOTHING IS.....how stupid do they think people are?????????????

October 23, 2007 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  9. Peaved, Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks for the transparent entertainment article, CNN. No doubt, you guys are on the Hillary bandwagon since you can't seem to see how baited you are. Give us some real news and help us elect a deserving president with values enough to have not voted to invade Iraq in the first place.

October 23, 2007 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  10. just me

wait a second . . . wait just a second . . . . i don't even get into politics until it is so blindingly obvious to someone that doesn't get into politics how politically wrong this is. so really, between the affair and now, when was the other ONE time, just one time, that there was affection between them of this nature? silly, AND insulting of her subject, that she would think they aren't smart enough to see through it. silly girl.

October 23, 2007 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. Anka, Houston, Texas

Ahh! How very sweet! That is to the idiots who will be buying the crock of BS of warm fuzzies Hillary wants to con for their vote.

Wake up people. All Hillary wants is your vote to SCREW YOU in the end to make her look good.

October 23, 2007 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  12. DT Wisconsin

Linda of Portland:

I never said anything about a person's marriage history and that person's ability to be an effective president. But thanks for telling me about "my standard", even though you base that on nothing I wrote.

Also, nice rebuttal: "You know nothing outside of Fox and Rush." Oooh! Snap! If that's the case, Linda, what am I doing on a CNN message board? My eyes are wide open, thank you very much.

I just said if Bill would have done something when he was president, MAYBE we would not be in Iraq. I'm in no way blaming Clinton for Bush taking us in. That was Bush's choice. I'm just saying that things would likely have been different.

But Bill WAS obsessed about his poll numbers and legacy- after all, going to war tends to make poll numbers dip as time goes on, right? Fact is, we got attacked...and attacked...and attacked by terrorists on Bill's watch. Plus we split when things got tough against them (Somalia, '93). They looked at the US's record of doing absolutely nothing and mustered up the nerve to pull off 9/11. bin Laden said as much when he called the US a "paper tiger" when he copped to being behind it. Of course, as bin Laden had been behind so many terrorist acts during Bill's tenure, we new immediately who was behind 9/11. That says something, doesn't it?

Point is- when you get hit, hit back. Schoolyard bullies are encouraged when it's easy for them. Why would it be different for a bunch of screwballs who are willing to lose their lives to take some of us out?

October 23, 2007 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  13. Robb Chandler, AZ

Hmm my comment was deleted.. Thanks CNN. Lets try it again.
    Pertaining to the pic above.
    Bill: You are going to owe me for this!

Hillary: Ha ha, once I am elected you can have all the interns you want.

October 23, 2007 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  14. joan niantic ct.

Quick give me a puke bucket. This woman is a first rate liar and is as despicable as her slick Willy is. Give me a break!

October 23, 2007 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. donna mae valdosta, ga

To all the judgemental americans out there in cyberspace: To paraphrase a quote from the good book that you all probabley outwardly tell the world you are living by JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED BY OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN

October 23, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. Mark, Springfield, MO

To RD Carter in Canada. We are not "P.O'd" because Bill "got a little action" in the White House. We are "P.O'd" because Bill got away with perjury. Apparently it wasn't only Americans that bought the "bait and switch" tactic used by Bill during that period.

Posted By Mike, Houston, TX : October 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Actually you are P.O.ed that the Clinton Administration had the best prosperity and lowered the deficit better than any other Republican Administration.

The Republican Party has been the "No-Tax and Spend Like No Tomorrow Party". The Republican party has raised "Check Kiting" to an artform.

After the Republicans get through running things, like an Adult cleaning up after a messy child, the Democrats have to clean up the mess the Republicans left in the world.

And for the Republican Religious Right I hate to tell you this but Jesus would never have been a Republican as he was a Uniter and not a Divider. Jesus would have been a Liberal.

October 23, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  17. Karen, Chicago Illinois

MY 1st COMMENT WAS PULLED SO I'LL SAY IT AGAIN!
    THIS COUNTRY IS SCREWED IN EVERY WAY, SHAPE AND FORM IF SHE BECOMES PRESIDENT!
    GOD HELP US!

October 23, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  18. Melvin (Chapel Hill, NC)

....

no comment

October 23, 2007 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  19. nonetooconfused

Beware of adulterous sleazes baring gifts..

October 23, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  20. katherine, ventura, ca

If he is so romantic- Why are trips not taken together? This is nothing more than a business relationship. Even a star-gazed teenager would see through this scam.

October 23, 2007 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  21. Daniel, NY

New surveys by Rasmussen in Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois suggest things are not as rosy for Clinton as they should be, especially in Illinois. Check out the polls here.

October 23, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. Pippen, Arlington VA

When did CNN start running articles from The Onion?

October 23, 2007 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  23. Kelly Puckett, Kenton, Ohio

Hillary you and Bill keep up the good works that you are doing, Hope to see Mrs. President in near future. LOVE to you guys.

October 23, 2007 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  24. todd, Colorado Springs CO

Bill is an enormous help for Hilary's campaign for good and bad

October 23, 2007 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  25. BERNARD, SCOTCH PLAINS NJ

I think I just threw up in my mouth!

October 23, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |