October 23rd, 2007

Hillary opens up on romance with Bill

Sen. Clinton said she is 'really happy' she made the decision to stay with husband Bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is quite the romantic husband, according to wife Hillary.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner discusses her relationship with her famous spouse in the latest issue of Essence Magazine, describing how the former president often showers her with gifts when returning from trips abroad.

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips," the New York senator told the magazine. "He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch…I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth.”

Clinton adds she is "really happy" she decided to stay with her husband following the news of his affair in 1996 with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

"Obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows," she told the magazine. “But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision."

"Again, not a decision for everybody," she continued. "And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them.”

Clinton also describes her first impressions of the future president when passing him by chance at Yale Law School in 1971.

"I thought he was very attractive. I mean, he was tall. At the time he had long hair and a red beard. His hair was much more red-gold, and it was curly, and he had a vikingesque beard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Andrew, Jakarta, Indonesia

I would regard Hillary's views on marriage much as I would those of OJ.

October 24, 2007 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  2. Justin Paige, Hendersonville, NC

[this entire article makes me ill. SURE he brings you things. I"ll bet she spends alot of time in the VD clinic with everything he brings her home. she is a poor poor example to women in this country. God help us if she is elected president.]

You, and all other bashers, are sorry examples of humans. Who the hell do you people think you are? Are you all now experts? I think it is very low to slam anyone like some of you are doing to the Clintons. Bill got busy with Moinca wtf cares. Hillary stayed with her man..case closed. It is really easy to speak all bad when you can hide behind a pc screen a thousand miles away from the one you talk such vile about eh.

I am not sure who I will vote for right now. But I for one will not base my vote on what this lady does in her private life. I think they are a good example of what a real American family is about. Until you walk a mile in their shoes..judge yourself first.

October 24, 2007 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  3. hawnstyle

This is the funniest stuff I ever seen on the web... "I just barfed on my keyboard"- classic!

October 24, 2007 05:14 am at 5:14 am |
  4. Brian, New York, NY

I think it's ridiculous that people are attacking her. Yes, she voted for the war... she has admitted that had she known then what she knows now, she would not have voted for it. Many of the congressmen who voted AGAINST the war did so because they would vote against ANY war. They don't believe in war at all, in ANY case... and now it's easy to say, "WELL, I didn't vote for THIS WAR!" Please...

I LIVE in NY. She is MY Senator. She has done a terrific job. She was re-elected for a reason.

The woman is EXTREMELY intelligent.. she is HIGHLY respected on the world stage. She may have a filandering husband.. but do we KNOW that he still is? Sure, he MIGHT be, but maybe not. WHO CARES?!? She didn't leave. Do you actually think these two aren't a good pair? How many marriages in the U.S. are full of fidelity AND sexual fire? MANY MANY marriages are kept alve simply for financial or social reasons.

The ridicule is ridiculous... and it's all because Americans are too LAZY to question all of the candidates' ABILITIES and RECORDS. The media gives us what we WANT. We want GOSSIP.

People who hate Hillary, do so because they are intimidated and envious. Even if you STRONGLY disagree with her political positions, there is still no reason to HATE her. Hate should be reserved for people who steal tax dollars to fund "wars" intended to further control the quickly fading oil industry.

And as for Americans wanting things for FREE?? Whoever the ignorant person was who commented on that. WE PAY TAXES. WE WANT HEALTH CARE. EVERY OTHER SUPER-POWER PROVIDES HEALTH CARE THROUGH TAXES.
    People like you complain when the goverment has to raise taxes... you're the ones who want things for free. You can't LIVE here without paying for the things you take for granted (roads, police, infrastructure, parks, armed services, etc.). I am sorry, but HEALTH CARE is as, or more, important than ALL OF THOSE THINGS. Our country can absolutely afford GOOD socialized health care, as long as out tax dollars are used for THAT instead of funding the theft of elections, and wars for the elite.

Yeah, let's cut taxes.. sure, you do that... and you can go live in a canyon with no police, no roads, no water-works, no bridges, etc. etc.

Right.
    Please. Grow UP, America! Read a book, run for office, do something other than complaining and sitting on your asses.

I love this country, but I am incredibly disillusioned by my people.

October 24, 2007 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  5. Tom Myers, Latham NY

It took guts for Hillary to talk about the 'challenges' her marriage with Bill faced. The same kind of guts she'll show when she's in the White House cleaning-up Bush's global mess.

October 24, 2007 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  6. totaltransformation

I seriously might just yack. Hillary takes pandering and P.R. to a whole new level of unbelievability. Wow!

October 24, 2007 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  7. Santosh Mukherjee

“But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in....."

Hmmm...INVESTING IN...

ROI: 2000: A Senate seat 2008: ...gosh I hope not!

October 24, 2007 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  8. thescoundrel

ROFLMAO! Really what can be said about Bill and Hillary that has not been said a thousand times over. They are who they are. Bill is always in search of sexual conquests, Hillary is always in search of power. And this puff piece is pretending that their marriage was anything other than a convenience should be considered unintentional satire.

October 24, 2007 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  9. Chip Celina OH

The most amusing posts on here are the ones where the HillPraisers tell us not to form an opinion on the private lives of Hill & Bill, then turn around and wax so authoritatively on the shortcomings of candidates with much less publicly celebrated lives.

These are also the folks most likely to call others hypocrites.

Calling it like I see it!

Have a good Wednesday!

October 24, 2007 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  10. Latrish Thomas, Wasington, DC

Hillary, Hillary, Hillary.....you sly dog! You go girl!

October 24, 2007 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  11. Sue in Michigan

Where to start...STDs. Do you seriously believe that if Hillary had an STD the Republican spin machine would not have dates, times, and Rx numbers? That was a Rove specialty, (and if you can't find facts, throw something out there and see what sticks) and while he is not "officially" on staff any more, I doubt the power monger behind the Supreme Court election, and the Ohio voter fraud 4 years later is out of the picture this time around.
    Does any one thin k this kind of scrutiny is fun? Hillary really believes that she can get this country out of the messes created by GWB and company. And stop ragging on her for her original vote for Iraq. Even Colin Powell, probably the only honest member of Bush's crew, was fed lies about WMBs and whatever else it would take to convince enough Congress people that we HAD to invade. Do you not see the same spin machine at work now on Iran? The difference this time is that everyone (except a segment of hawks who think bombs and troops are the answer to every problem) is a little smarter and a lot more aware of the $3 billion weekly being thrown away in Iraq. We cannot afford another boondoggle, so I fully expect Bush to want to press the old nuclear (nucular) button. Wait, is there a spelling test before you are allowed to end life on Earth. Can we have an executive order, please?

October 24, 2007 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  12. bob, des moines iowa

To kris in St. Paul. ummm....that might be the best example of the pot calling the kettle black that I've ever seen....nice post. If people like you are supporting Hillary, the Republicans have nothing to worry about.

October 24, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  13. JB Boston MA

HEY JON Pittsburgh-

You just called quite a few people on this thread gossipers and liars, and yet said nothing of substance. Are you denying that Bill has cheated on Hillary MANY times? Do Christians ignore facts?

Your comment was a waste fo space while attempting to defend hillary. The truth is, you cannot. She is actually a bad example to all women. If my sister chose to be with a man who continually cheated on her, I would forcibly remove her and her daughter from the situation.

And if you would not in the same situation, well. . . that isn't very christian like!!

October 24, 2007 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  14. Honestly, Tx

Giuliani – NO
    Clinton – NO

Let's see where the republicans and democrats go with their nominations. But neither of these two would allow America to move forward.

Clinton has a big lead in the polls nationally – but those poll numbers will change. The polls in Iowa reflect the real race when people are closely paying attention to the candidates. In Iowa she has a slight lead. That is likely what her national numbers will reflect in about two months.

October 24, 2007 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  15. Fred, Walnut Creek, CA

While she is winning wide support in nationwide samples among Democrats in the race for their party’s presidential nomination, half of likely voters nationwide said they would never vote for New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, a new Zogby Interactive poll shows.

The online survey of 9,718 likely voters nationwide showed that 50% said Clinton would never get their presidential vote. This is up from 46% who said they could never vote for Clinton in a Zogby International telephone survey conducted in early March. Older voters are most resistant to Clinton—59% of those age 65 and older said they would never vote for the New York senator, but she is much more acceptable to younger voters: 42% of those age 18-29 said they would never vote for Clinton for President.

October 24, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  16. Frank, Orlando, FL

Whatever. You're so lame if you think we are supposed to believe this. No way she was ever leaving this power marriage. Romance=gifts.

October 24, 2007 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. John, Chicago, IL

I am constantly amazed at the bigotry of the so called "progressives". A number of responders here used this platform to take gratuitous swipes at Christians. The fractured logic seems to go like this: (1) in this progressive and morally relativistic age, any judgment as to personal behavior is out of bounds; (2) therefor anyone who finds Bill's profligate and abusive behavior distasteful and dangerous, and Hillary's response to Bill's long history of philandering coldly calculating, is a judgmental hypocrite; (3) judgmental hypocrite = Christian; ergo (4) anyone who has a negative view of the Clintons must be a Christian.

I have news for you anti-Christian bigots out there, yes Christians believe in moral absolutes. But Christians also recognize that all human beings, including Christians, fail to live up to those absolutes (the old fashioned term is "sin"). True Christianity also believes in grace, forgiveness and redemption. As a Christian, I am willing to give private citizens Bill and Hillary the benefit of the doubt as to the genuineness of his repentance and her motives for forgiving him. But when it comes to Senator Clinton's public role as a candidate for leader of the free world, Christian forgiveness does not mean that I must deliberately blind myself to this and other evidence that candidate Clinton cares more about getting and holding power than she does about the ideals she purports to espouse.

And I'm not willing to accept the false argument that recognizing human failing and believing in forgiveness means that we can never make societal judgments about behavior. Actually, it's the bigoted and hate-filled comments from the moral relativists which frighten me. Remember the lessons of history. It was Christians who were not afraid to call "slavery" evil and who led the abolition movement of the 19th century, when the "progressives" of the day accepted "white superiority" as the natural order. It was the "enlightened" atheistic and Social Darwinist philosophers of Europe, not Christians, who paved the way for the rise of fascism, totalitarianism and the Holocaust. I ask you, which philosophy is more dangerous?.

October 24, 2007 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. DMW, Roeland Park, KS

I thought marriage is suppose to be so scared in America. Here is a woman who decided to stay with her husband after he cheated because she still loves him and believes marriage to one person for the rest of her life is a GOOD thing.

I do not understand all the hating about this from most of the comments. Is not forgiveness a virtue??? Or are most of you just hating Hillary no matter what she says or does???

I feel you all need to do a reality check. A lot of us do not feel when something goes wrong in a relationship, that that is the time to run; at least half of us feel that you stay and work on issues and resolve them if you can.

America is so schizophrenic and it is very confusing how you all think about what a relatiohship is; people do make mistakes...we are only human and learning always.

Give Hillary the credit she deserves.

October 24, 2007 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  19. JB Boston MA

DMW-

When your spouse cheats once, do you forgive him or her? How about the second time? How about the third? The fourth? The fifth? How about after that, your spouse gets accused of rape? At what point in time do you simply look like either a) a pushover with no backbone or b) a power hungry opportunist riding the coat tails of your infidel husband.

Can you see why some people may question her motives? Don't act so holier than thou. Wrong time to do so!

October 24, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  20. Diane, NYC, NY

The mind just boggles with this one...

First of all, I think it's 'romantic' that my husband kisses me good night every night. I don't need him to buy my affection with gifts.

Second, my marriage is 'worth investing in' because my husband treats me with kindness and respect. I would not be married to someone who couldn't do that.

Third, who is this woman to tell women how best to support each other?

Women needed her to get her husband to stop treating women as objects and playthings. The only message she sent out to all of our daughters is that it is OK to abuse women if you're the President. Oh, and you send gifts later.

October 24, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  21. Tom Dedham, Mass

Funny how this story stays on top, but the more important and REAL story of her getting caught with yet again more illegal contributions got whisked away fast as Bill can unzip.......

Real simple question to the nice ladies that support Hillary:

Knowing that your husband cheated on you more than once, lied about it to the world and in front of the courts, do you all believe that she is a "strong woman" for staying with him?

Remember, this wasn't a one time dalliance, multiple times, multiple.

That is the part that many people don't get, how can someone that knows their spouse cheated (thus breaking their vows) more than once, be considered strong for staying with the lout.

Wouldn't leaving him and trying to find someone that won't cheat on you and love only you, make more sense?

Yes, a wife can forgive a one time indiscretion, but multiple?????

October 24, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  22. Sarah

DMW in Kansas:

You're right. Hillary does deserve some credit. Let's acknowledge her here. I give her credit for the following accomplishments:

1. She voted for the war in Iraq.
    2. She voted against limiting GWB's power to execute the war.
    3. She refuses to apologize for her vote, instead saying "If I knew now what I didn't know then..."
    4. Oops- Maybe she didn't know "then" because she didn't read the intelligence that was made available to her.
    5. But she learned from it right? Oops again– She just voted for Lieberman-Kyl and now our president is talking about WW III, and we are counting the days until the U.S. invasion of Iran (or perhaps those much nicer "sterile" air strikes).

Give credit where credit is due. Good idea.

October 24, 2007 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  23. Mamie, Freeport, ME

I wonder what the saw in Monica...other than his cigar

October 24, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. RightyTighty

Hillary MADE Bill buy her a house before she would marry him. Now she crows about his gift giving...??

Ha Ha!

October 24, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  25. JB Boston MA

I also find it incredibly. . . amusing, no, hypocritical, no. . . . disgusting that women try to protect Bill Clinton.

This guy was accused of forcing himself on MANY women.

It is bad to cheat on your wife several times. It is bad to lie about it, and claim that the women are liars.

It is completely another to force yourself on women. That is called Sexual Assault or Rape.

How can you justify this mans actions? One woman above said that "Bill is very charismatic". So, he can rape and sexually assault women?

Or are the women asking for it?

If this guy was a republican you women would have burned him at the stake (literally).

When do your political views make up for your vile behavior? I guess in this instance, it does.

October 24, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |