October 23rd, 2007

Hillary opens up on romance with Bill

Sen. Clinton said she is 'really happy' she made the decision to stay with husband Bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is quite the romantic husband, according to wife Hillary.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner discusses her relationship with her famous spouse in the latest issue of Essence Magazine, describing how the former president often showers her with gifts when returning from trips abroad.

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips," the New York senator told the magazine. "He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch…I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth.”

Clinton adds she is "really happy" she decided to stay with her husband following the news of his affair in 1996 with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

"Obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows," she told the magazine. “But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision."

"Again, not a decision for everybody," she continued. "And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them.”

Clinton also describes her first impressions of the future president when passing him by chance at Yale Law School in 1971.

"I thought he was very attractive. I mean, he was tall. At the time he had long hair and a red beard. His hair was much more red-gold, and it was curly, and he had a vikingesque beard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jim Cleveland ohio

I now understand why people Magazine has been around for all thee years and the Soaps.

The Founding Fathers were not professional "politicians" they got things done. These people only care about a vote.

Hillary is a disgrace, She is "Everything for free if you elelct me" Free health care free, free money, let the Govt take care of you.

What ahppened my Dad had to go to work to support his Mom worked for the same company for 46 years he never complained and never asked for anything.
    This Country has gotten weak and all we do is ask the Govt to take care of us.
    Grow up and elect someone that understands the constitution and what this country is about Ron Paul. Democrats Republicans all the same, nothing changes.

What is your dollar worth?

October 23, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. Abu Mohdahabahla

It's a gray world. So Hillary is calculating, political, opportunistic? Who isn't? You have to be to make a difference. You have to roll with the shades. Sounds like the three success traits of Gates, Jobs, Iacocca, Smith, or any other successful CEO in good old capitalistic US of A.

October 23, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. richard goodwin, Coweta Oklahoma

Hillary gave up her dignaty and self respect by staying with the bum for her own political ambitions and power. Nothing else.

October 23, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. RightyTighty

Excuse me while I puke.

October 23, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. Jon, Pittsburgh, PA

Amazing how people can speak so knowledgeably about others they have never met, never spoken to, never even been in the same room with. They “know” them because of what someone else said about them? There is something horribly wrong with these people – they are engaging in gossip and hearsay. It’s very unbecoming. A very wise person, my grandmother, once said – the worst someone can do to you is spread a lie about you. There is very little you can do about it. Some will believe it without even knowing who you are. The easy thing for Hillary to have done was to divorce Bill over his affair with Monica. The hard thing was to stay together and forgive and move forward. What are Christians supposed to do?

My bet is that a large percentage of these people attacking Hillary now with such deep knowledge of her every thought and intention would claim to be Christian. All the while they are spreading gossip and lies. They are not acting very Christian-like. If you think you know so much about the Clintons from what you’ve heard on the news or talk-radio, you are so sadly mistaken and should be ashamed instead of so bold. My guess is that you could never stand up to this kind of scrutiny and focus on yourselves.

October 23, 2007 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Steve Mantua, NJ

If Guliani's past indiscretions are going to be overlooked, why not give Hillary a free pass? After all she's atleast on her first marriage. What's this Rudy's second?...third?...or have we just stopped counting? The bottom line is that her marriage to Bill reflects that of many marriages in this country. People should stop assuming she stayed with him simply for political gain.

October 23, 2007 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  7. Lee, Ann Arbor, MI

CNN is going to get Hillary elected no matter what!

Look at these stories they have on Hillary...all positive, upbeat, syrupy...then look at the articles on Obama and the other candidates...questioning their policies, who they're seen with, etc.

The "Clinton News Network" – CNN – isn't going to miss this opportunity to put as much positive spin on her campaign as they can...it's just disgusting.

October 23, 2007 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  8. R.D. Carter, Edmonton, Canada

Let me get this straight. You folks are PO'd with Hillary because you're still PO'd Bill got a little action at the office. Yet, you're OK with your current President who has sent 3800 of your finest sons and daughters to their death in the armpit of the world for no good reason.

I will never understand you Yanks....

October 23, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  9. Momma2Two

As my 2 year-old son would say, "yucky! yucky!" Puh-leez. This should be in the entertainment section of CNN – if at all. If Mitt Romney starts blabbing about his wife's snuggles, I'm emigrating to Canada. What the hell does this have to do with anything?

October 23, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. E. C., Houston, Texas

IF America had a King and Queen and Bill and Hillary were 'Royalty,' they would have both been 'Guillotined' by now and be just a 'mention' in History Books: Bill for Adultery, Shirking Presidential Responsibility and Excessive Lying, and Hillary for Unabashed Lying and Underhanded Crookedness. The Bush Family is a Godsend to Americans. Bush will be remembered as being a Great Leader who stood by Christian Principals and Character while serving in the White House. When under-educated persons are swayed by political aspirations of LowLife such as the Clintons, it is a sad day. The entire Bush Family is of the Highest Quality in every respect, and they will ALL be remembered as such. Bill CLINTON, so romantic? WAKE UP AMERICA...SEE THESE POLITICAL DRIVEN LIES FOR WHAT THEY ARE....HILLARY'S A POWER-MAD, SELFISH, LOVELESS, AND HORMONAL FEMALE WHO IS UNFIT TO BE PRESIDENT. AS FOR BILL, WHY DO YOU THINK HE TRAVELS SO MUCH???

October 23, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  11. Pixie, Murfreesboro, TN

Everybody making judgements on Hillary and her marriage just need to STFU. I said the same thing in regards to Fred Thompson and his wife. The fact is, you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors so stop the inane psychoanalysis.

Take her statements at face value. She's married to the guy and she says she's glad she chose to stick with him. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who can relate.

October 23, 2007 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. Cable King Pittsburgh PA

appears that the naysayers really fear Hillary

October 23, 2007 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  13. Maria, Houston

Yes, Hillary is sooo romantic... never mind that she voted for the war in which thousands of inocent people are being killed, remember, at least she is not DIVORCED...

23 of her fellow senators were not "mislead" and voted AGAINST the war. Hillary Clinton did not bother as much as to read reports. Those dead soldiers will never have chance to bring gifts to their loved ones. And you Hillary can continue being sooo romantic...

October 23, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  14. J Murphy

to Steve in new York yes adultery is a sin mentioned in the bible like homosexuality, but one big difference...those who practice adultery...usually know it is wrong (hence sneaking around) and two: are not marching in the streets for everyone to accept their behavior as good and equal to marriage. Same for the guys who like 3-ways, and other whacked out stuff

October 23, 2007 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  15. Sharon, Kansas City MO

I used to be proud of Hillary for being a strong women and not afraid to speak her mind as first lady. I remember her saying she was not a "stand by your woman man". I finally had the guts to get out of a 25 year marriage, but I feel Hillary let me down when she let her husband keep on humiliating her again and again. She is my hero no more. Obama has my vote.

October 23, 2007 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  16. Steve, Sumter SC

While this is all heart warming and all, this election is about ideas! No brownie points here! Next "story" please!

October 23, 2007 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. Thomas, Towanda, PA

Yea, make me gag! Hillary is out for one thing and that is power. For the amount of times that Bill got caught with his pants down around his ankles and she still calls him romantic! CNN is this all you do is give this bleeding heart liberal a platform, shame on you!

October 23, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. Heartlight 3, Maui, HI

I find it interesting that most of these posters presume to know what is "really going on" in someone else's relationship. What I see here is pure speculation based on the writers' own experience or imagination and may or may not have any relation to the reality of the Clintons' marriage.

October 23, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  19. Brett, Minneapolis, MN

Republicans can whine and complain about Hillary all they want, but the fact of the matter is Hillary will win the upcoming election in a LANDSLIDE.

October 23, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. Wayne, Greenville TX

I will never understand you Yanks….

Posted By R.D. Carter, Edmonton, Canada : October 23, 2007 2:34 pm

I've lived here all my life, and I can't understand that.

What a bunch of hosers, eh??
    :-)

October 23, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. Hannah, Somewhere in Montana

You've got to be kidding me...Ewww!

October 23, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  22. Barry Gold, Orange, CA

WHY????? Why did I choose to read this during lunch? !!!! Oh, G-d, I'm going to puke.... bye!

October 23, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  23. Talia, Overland Park KS

R.D. Carter – believe me, we're not "OK with your current President." Those of us, including former military personnel and ones currently stationed over there, have no faith in this Presidency. I talked with a friend stationed in Iraq the other day, and he said he'd feel better about what he was doing if he "believed it was really making a difference or worth anything."

My friends are dying and being wounded for a President who could care less about the men and women of his country. The Decider is an idiot, and many of us can't wait to see him leave the office he's disgraced.

October 23, 2007 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  24. D. Bond, Pleasantville NJ

It's funny to see them all hugged up close together. I feel she's only doing this because she wants to be President. None-the-less, she still doesn't have my vote. When her husband was President, and they went thru that stuff about him and Monica L., well I expected to see the President with some brusing or something, to hear her voice her anger. (nothing) He looked and she looked as if nothing happen. She should have took care of business. If she can't take care of business at home and got with his butt, how can she stand strong for the United States. (She's the women who let her husband walk all over her). So, I don't think she would be a strong leader. It's like she gave every man the right of way to do what President Clinton did and get away with it. She does not have my vote.

October 23, 2007 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. Archie Holoubeck Kearney Ne.

Good grief; how many of you honestly believe the stuff this woman says or does? Its all a thinly disguised act for the nomination and her lust for money and power! What an act! She ought to get awards just like Al Gore does for "flim flam"!

October 23, 2007 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |