October 23rd, 2007

Hillary opens up on romance with Bill

Sen. Clinton said she is 'really happy' she made the decision to stay with husband Bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is quite the romantic husband, according to wife Hillary.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner discusses her relationship with her famous spouse in the latest issue of Essence Magazine, describing how the former president often showers her with gifts when returning from trips abroad.

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips," the New York senator told the magazine. "He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch…I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth.”

Clinton adds she is "really happy" she decided to stay with her husband following the news of his affair in 1996 with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

"Obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows," she told the magazine. “But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision."

"Again, not a decision for everybody," she continued. "And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them.”

Clinton also describes her first impressions of the future president when passing him by chance at Yale Law School in 1971.

"I thought he was very attractive. I mean, he was tall. At the time he had long hair and a red beard. His hair was much more red-gold, and it was curly, and he had a vikingesque beard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. fort lauderdale, fl

I love how much all of you neocons hate the Clintons. You supported the worst president in history and now YOU have american blood on your hands! I just hope you remember your repubican icons were liberals. Jesus and the founding fathers were LIBERALS!

October 23, 2007 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. Marshal Phillips, Wichita, Kansas

To those who are posting negative comments: do you know any wives who stayed with their husbands after an affair? It's quite common. Plus she's a Methodist at heart and believes marriage is for keeps. And there's Chelsea to consider, who loves her dad.
    Disagree with her on politics, maybe; but on marriage she's pro family all the way!

October 23, 2007 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

....and they walk forth blindly.....
    Hillary is Bush....don't you get it??

October 23, 2007 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Jim, Nashville, TN

OK, stone throwers. Dont hate!

We'll have to see how the beloved Guilliani markets his multiple divorces, infidelities, and the fact his own kids wont talk to him.

October 23, 2007 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. Murray Jones, AL

"He's so romantic"....to everyone he meets.

October 23, 2007 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. Bonnie Buffalo NY

There is something wrong with any abused woman who stays with her abuser.What is wrong with Hillary is she is greedy for power. She sold herself for that power by staying with Bill after numerous affairs. If she will sell herself, she will sell you and me. Voter beware.

October 23, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

"

Let me get this straight. You folks are PO'd with Hillary because you're still PO'd Bill got a little action at the office. Yet, you're OK with your current President who has sent 3800 of your finest sons and daughters to their death in the armpit of the world for no good reason.

I will never understand you Yanks….
    Posted By R.D. Carter, Edmonton, Canada : October 23, 2007 2:34 pm "

And Stephen Harper has done so much for you there R.D.?
    Well maybe for you Alberta folks, while the rest of the country waits their fair share.
    Some of we "yanks" pay attention.

October 23, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. Jo, Atlanta GA

someone makes her marriage works and she's calculating? Maybe you need to do the same to save ur marriage. Life itself is calculating if you don't please try it.

Shameless idiots GOP. You talking point Rush can't even keep a marriage..

IF DO ME A FAVOR LEAVE THE COUNTRY IF SHE WINS. DON"T TAKE THE INSURANCE JUST LEAVE.

October 23, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Why are people looking down on her just because she chose to stay in her marriage? She stated in this very article, "It's important for women to stand up for the right of women to make the decision that is best for THEM." I think that Hillary would have stayed with Bill if they were just a couple of regular Joe Schmoes, and that doesn't make her any less capable. No one here knows the intimate details of their relationship, or how they truly feel towards each other, and her relationship can't be judged along the same lines of anyone else's relationship. Claiming that she's no longer a hero because she chose to forgive and move on is absolutely ridiculous.

October 23, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  10. Donald Penniall

Hillary says in her recent book that she did not know her husband was cheating on her! This is hard to believe in view they had people involved to quell any Bimbo Eruptions in the 1992 campaign. If she can't tell the truth about her husband, then she can't be depended upon to make the tough decisions in the white house'

October 23, 2007 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  11. Corbett, Seattle WA

As usual you arm-chair pundits in your endless desire to out cynic each other are missing true humor in this piece.

And I quote

"he had a vikingesque beard."

I really like the Clintons, but I will never be able to look at them the same way knowing that it started with "Bubba the Viking!"

October 23, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. RP, Woodstock, GA

I just threw up on my keyboard.

Does anybody in the world believe this?

Cinton wants POWER!! Be foolish, give it to her.

Say goodbye to your bank account. If anyone is thinking of voting for clinton, stop, give everyone in the room $100 and reconsider. Don't want to give everyone $100- DON'T VOTE FOR HER. Think I'm being ridiculous? Remeber this Clinton knows how to spend your money better then you do.

October 23, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Bill, Streamwood, IL

Aw, how touching! Looks like they're still in love ... and after all the terrible things he has done.

Question! How many wives has Mitt Romney had? How many wives has Fred Thompson had (and if his current one is the trophy wife, what do we call his next wife)? How many wives has Rudy Guiliani had (as of today, the number might be different a year from now)?

Looks like the Republican candidates talk about family values while the Democratic candidates practice it.

October 23, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. Ken Marks, San Jose, CA

There is only one possible reaction to this article - nausea.

October 23, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. randy, va

I don't believe that anyone would question Bill being romantic ; )

October 23, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. Mike, Chicago, IL

You repubs act like no one in your party has ever lied or cheated...you sanctimonious soap-boxers! Get real! Look at Mark Foley and Larry Craig for god's sake!

...and if you MUST cast judgment (which you always seem so skillfully able to do), I'd rather have those shenanigans in the White House than the current mental deficit we do now.

For example, just look at how many scandals your party has recently had...how dare you have the nerve to pry into and criticize someone else's private life while your very own little GOP party dress is tainted with the blood of all those American soldiers.

At least the dems haven't manufatured an unecessary war that's taken so many lives and ripped apart so many families-both here and abroad.

Talk about family values...hypocrites.

October 23, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. Lori, Minneapolis

Yuck.

October 23, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  18. Barry Gold, Orange, CA

I didn't vote for Al Gore, but at least he could kiss his wife on the lips and you felt the love.

Watching the Clinton's, I just feel the pain! Go ahead, Bill... kiss her on the lips... I dare ya, Bubba!

October 23, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. Dave, Pittsburgh, PA

BARF!!!

October 23, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. pam Eugenen, OR

The "story" is so thin it makes me want to gag. Come on CNN.
    If anyone thinks she is anything but a power hungry, calcualting cold fish they are blind. She would stay with the devil if she thought he could get her in the WH. I am sure she never considerd leaving Bill and was only angry because he made her look bad...not that she actually loved him. This woman has no warmth or humanity, just greed a lust for power. You don't fool me and I know you are no fool so who are you trying to kid. The good little wifey! Hah
    What a sick joke.

October 23, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. Dave, Evergreen CO

For those of you who have OD’d on the Clinton cool-aid let me explain. I do not underestimate the intelligence of either Bill or Hillary, in fact I think they are both brilliant and I voted for Bill twice and supported her Senate bid in 2000. I could also care less about his side action or anything else that goes on in either of their personal lives. But I believe her decision to stay with Bill was made for the same reasons as her 2002 vote to authorize the Iraq war – to better position herself as a potential presidential candidate. I hold the same views on any other candidate (Edwards, Dodd, Biden, and Richardson) who voted or supported that 2002 authorization at the time, male or female, so don’t try to play the sexist card on me. We all remember (or should) how any member of Congress who opposed the first Gulf War saw any future political aspirations he/she had eliminated because they were suddenly seen as “wimps” or weak on defense. We also saw what happened to Max Cleland in the 2002 election after he bravely opposed this bogus war.

I believe all these candidates used their intellect to make a calculated political decision in 2002, not one based on reason and what is truly best for America, but one that was based on what was (at least they thought so at the time) best for their careers.

I for one and sick and tired of this kind of political posturing and calculated decision making. I want someone who will vote their conscious and do what they believe is truly best for all Americans.

October 23, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. Anyone But Hillary

Hillary should spend more time contemplating votes that could end American lives and less time making me gag with her magazine interviews.

October 23, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Anonymous

I just love these two people. I don't care what the haters say, both have been and will be good for the country.

October 23, 2007 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Thomas Mann, Shepherdstown, WV

I am not against her, but it is very hard to believe with all the published and proven affairs by Bill, that she is so smooth about him. Well, this is a good tactic when pandering to conservatives from the Bible belt, I guess. I am a little concerned that she is so gullible about certain moral issues and this just proves my concern.

October 23, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. Jane McNair, Mystic, CT 06355

I thought I was going to barf when I heard this. A real woman would have tossed him on his ear long ago despite what Charlie Rangel has to say.

October 23, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |