October 23rd, 2007

Hillary opens up on romance with Bill

Sen. Clinton said she is 'really happy' she made the decision to stay with husband Bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is quite the romantic husband, according to wife Hillary.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner discusses her relationship with her famous spouse in the latest issue of Essence Magazine, describing how the former president often showers her with gifts when returning from trips abroad.

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips," the New York senator told the magazine. "He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch…I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth.”

Clinton adds she is "really happy" she decided to stay with her husband following the news of his affair in 1996 with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

"Obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows," she told the magazine. “But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision."

"Again, not a decision for everybody," she continued. "And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them.”

Clinton also describes her first impressions of the future president when passing him by chance at Yale Law School in 1971.

"I thought he was very attractive. I mean, he was tall. At the time he had long hair and a red beard. His hair was much more red-gold, and it was curly, and he had a vikingesque beard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Greg M, Naperville, IL

Bill and Hillary are so cynical. Only Republicans know the meaning of "love", "commitment", and "family values". If Bill and Hillary were Republicans, they'd each be on their third marriage, and each to someone twenty-five years younger.

October 23, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. Sam, Lincoln, Nebraska

I never fail to be amazed at the number of small minded people, mostly Republicans, conservatives, and Clinton haters, who think they really know what is in the heart and mind of Hillary. We all know about Bill's marital infidelity but apparently Hillary's learned how to forgive him for it and move on with her life, which is more than I can say for most of her critics. Who the hell are ANY of you to question her decision to stay with the man she married?

October 23, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. Liliana Peterson, Thousand Oaks California

I can't believe people are still caught up with the Monica story. Get over it. You were willing to impeach a president for this but not for sending hundreds of people to die in a useless war. I am also surprise how many people know Hillary and Bill so well that know all the details of their personal life. Don't be ridiculous!! I wonder what many of you here will do if in the same situation. Americans think for once and elect a president that really cares about the issues in this country.

October 23, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I posted a comment and saw that others posted after mine were published. Could it be that my comment did not get published because I said something good about the Clintons? I do not believe the one sided negativity you publish is representative of your commentors let alone the public at large.

CNN is worse than FOX when it comes to instigating hatred.

October 23, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. Connie, Tn.

It's funny that they get so much flak when they are doing what the right-wingers are always preaching and just can't seem to accomplish themselves. Look at Rush, Rudy, Vitter in La. Guess they are so frustrated because they can't live up to their own expectations!

October 23, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. Mike, Houston, TX

To RD Carter in Canada. We are not "P.O'd" because Bill "got a little action" in the White House. We are "P.O'd" because Bill got away with perjury. Apparently it wasn't only Americans that bought the "bait and switch" tactic used by Bill during that period.

October 23, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Steve, New York

LOL I always get a kick out of people who have there own baggage and jump on other people for theirs. ITS NO ONES BUSINESS WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO IN THERE PERSONAL LIVES. Who the heck are you to question anyone’s personal choices!
    I’m glad they worked it out, it’s more then 50% of America can say. What’s the divorce rate of people who just GIVE UP instead of working things out? KUDOS for them making there mirage work. It shows just how strong they truly are. (And no I am NOT a supporter of Hillary)It’s sad to see the people who can’t separate political views and personal views. How many of you “Christians” wanted them to just end the relationship and not work on it LOL

October 23, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. Zack, NJ

I notice first they put a negative piece out about Obama and McClurkin, then right after they have this disgustingly positive piece about Hillary, and it's even less news than the first issue!

October 23, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  9. Washington, DC

I wonder if STD is one of the things he brought her back...

October 23, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  10. Franky, New York, NY

Lot's of cynicism..probably coming from people who are being cheated on themselves as they type. Despite the blog's venom, despite the marital history of the Clintons and their unique relationship, I'm willing to bet Bill and Hillary still have a great deal more meaning across their relationship for one another than the rest of America's clingy, pious and superficial marriages.

October 23, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Wayne, Greenville TX

I just threw up on my keyboard.

Does anybody in the world believe this?

Cinton wants POWER!! Be foolish, give it to her.

Say goodbye to your bank account. If anyone is thinking of voting for clinton, stop, give everyone in the room $100 and reconsider. Don't want to give everyone $100- DON'T VOTE FOR HER. Think I'm being ridiculous? Remeber this Clinton knows how to spend your money better then you do.

Posted By RP, Woodstock, GA : October 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Never, EVER forget that the largest increases in the federal deficit occurred under Ronaly Reagan and George W. "Pretzelboy" Bush. Our grandchildren will be paying off the debts incurred by those two losers.

I suppose you have no problem with Bush financing his illegal war in Iraq by borrowing money from Red China....

October 23, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. BRIAN, GREEN COVE SPRINGS, FL

TO ALL YOU NEGATIVE BLOGGERS,
    WHAT SAD PEOPLE YOU ARE. A COUPLE HAS UPS AND DOWNS IN THEIR RELATIONSHIP, AND IT IS OUT THERE FOR THE WORLD TO SEE BUT PULL IT TOGETHER AND MAKE IT WORK.IF YOU HAVE GOT A PROBLEM WITH THE CLINTONS POLITICS FINE TALK ABOUT THAT.BOY YOU RIGHT-WINGERS LOVE TO HATE. I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. ALL THAT HATE MUST REALLY EAT YOU UP INSIDE.

October 23, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. DT Wisconsin

R.D. in Edmonton:

1. Sure, Clinton got a little (a lot?) of action in the office. While tasteless in his choice of location, it wasn't the end of the world. But his impeachment was a due to lying as part of a larger sexual harassment claim, which, to this day, baffles me as to why he's still popular among women- particularly those on the left. And he's been accused of far worse when it comes to "getting a little action." Which makes this article seem absolutely ridiculous.

2. As for Bush sending people off to die: if Clinton had nipped this whole Middle Eastern terrorism thing in the 90s, back when the WTC was first hit, US embassies where exploding in Africa, and the USS Cole got hit, well, maybe we wouldn't be in Iraq right now. Then again, Clinton possibly wouldn't have left office with his precious 60%+ approval rating if he would've acted. And Clinton said he was "obsessed" about bin Laden. Mmm-hmm.

If Canada or its interests ever gets continuously attacked by one-track-minded maniacs, maybe then you'd understand us Yanks. At least 50% of us.

October 23, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. J. Hinck

Sure he's romantic... I remember something about a blue dress and a cigar...

October 23, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  15. Real

Jane,

A real woman looks at the situation and does what is best for herself and her kids. No one answer is correct for everyone. I know a couple of people who have been cheated on and they have stayed and have ended up being happy.

A real woman would not be so judgemental of another woman without walking in her shoes.

October 23, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  16. DLR

Has he brought her an STD yet ??
    What a "horn-dog" !

October 23, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. Karen NYC

"He's so romantic" translate into "He's covering his tracks"

October 23, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  18. Wayne, Greenville, TX

Call Bush bumbling, inarticulate – at least the guy is authentic.

Posted By James, Phoenix AZ : October 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Yup. An authentic imbecile.

October 23, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. Billy my love, Boca, FL

OK Hillary you have my vote already...but please spare me the fairytales of your romantic life with Bill. We all know that Bubba is a ladies man and for you his boat has sailed a long time ago. The only reason your so called marriage survived was because of the fact that both of you are very ambitious people and had big political dreams. ( not that there is anything wrong with it).
    Just one friendly advice to Hillary" You are the next President of this country..don't F it up by telling romantic fables involving Bill"

October 23, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. Kay, Mays Landing, NJ

Good Lord, some act like she is the only First Lady to have a cheating husband. Almost ever president has had an affair in office, there have been reports and reports on this. Some people develop stronger relationships after an affair, that is their personal life and only they know what it is like.

Since it seems like the only thing people can harp on Bill Clinton about is the he had a gf, he is actually way ahead on the politican scale.

October 23, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. Diana Jones

I'm sure he brings gifts...sometimes the sign of misbehavior or guilt.

October 23, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. Kate, Aurora CO

As a woman who is a democrat I would love to see a fellow female democrat become President only not this woman. I agree with many who say the only reason she is popular is because of who she is married to. People are under the misguided assumption that if she wins then we will have Bill back. That is sadly not the case. We need new blood in that seat. It is a scary thought that two families have been in control of the free world since 1980. Bill was a great president, the best in my lifetime but the time of the Bushes and Clintons must end.

October 23, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  23. Anonymous

I am totally fed up with the idea of political dynasties in this country. My feelings are best summed up in this amazing youtube video. If you haven't seen it yet you simply must. It's tasteful, funny, and its two minutes out of your day. Click the link to see "History Repeating".

October 23, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  24. Margaret Haskell Los Angeles, California

She can lie even better then Bill! For their entire marriage he has has affairs with dozens of different women and this so called feminist stays with him so she can reach a position in government she would never have attained if she hadn't played on the sympathies of the voters. Vote Democrat – any Democrat but Hillary Clinton.

October 23, 2007 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  25. MediaJunkie, Washington, DC

"Hillary was willing to stay with "Bonking Bill" through at least 15 years of allegations and admissions of infidelity she is either very stupid (in which case she doesn't need to be president)or she was calculating on Bill's presidency to help her to become president one day!"

Maybe she just loves him.

"I can't believe people are still caught up with the Monica story. Get over it. You were willing to impeach a president for this but not for sending hundreds of people to die in a useless war."

Clinton was not impeached because he had an affair with Monica. He was impeached because he lied about it under oath, also called contempt. Bush may have lied, but he didn't under oath so no impeachment there.

"At least the dems haven't manufatured an unecessary war that's taken so many lives and ripped apart so many families-both here and abroad."

Plenty of Dems voted for the war too. It's just in the past year that they've woken up.

October 23, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |