October 23rd, 2007

Hillary opens up on romance with Bill

Sen. Clinton said she is 'really happy' she made the decision to stay with husband Bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is quite the romantic husband, according to wife Hillary.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner discusses her relationship with her famous spouse in the latest issue of Essence Magazine, describing how the former president often showers her with gifts when returning from trips abroad.

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips," the New York senator told the magazine. "He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch…I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth.”

Clinton adds she is "really happy" she decided to stay with her husband following the news of his affair in 1996 with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

"Obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows," she told the magazine. “But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision."

"Again, not a decision for everybody," she continued. "And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them.”

Clinton also describes her first impressions of the future president when passing him by chance at Yale Law School in 1971.

"I thought he was very attractive. I mean, he was tall. At the time he had long hair and a red beard. His hair was much more red-gold, and it was curly, and he had a vikingesque beard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Kate, Tampa, FL

Sounds like Dave in Colorado and James in Arizona are soooo jealous of Bill Clinton. GO HILLARY!!!

October 23, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. Jake, Omaha NE

Don't forget: He still cheated on you, Hillary.

October 23, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Gavin

How romantic! I love Hill & Bill–they are like my parents to me

October 23, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. Chris, Middletown, CT

Research Hillarys teacher – Saul Alinsky – you will see why she is the way she is....everything is "a means to an end" – theres nothing Bill could of done to shake Hillary...nothing...I love the people defending her...now...Hillraisers...are the people who will get to sleep in the Lincoln bedroom....and I guess Hillmorons are those who will defend Hillary in blogs?

October 23, 2007 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  5. josh, fairlawn, oh

Hillary 08!

October 23, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. spinstopper

Cigars again, says Hillary to the devilish smiling Bill..

October 23, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. nelson, Colorado Springs Co

This is a good thing for Mrs clinton it all about her happiness not yours. Stay with your man. right decision, someone else would have got him.

October 23, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  8. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Posted By Bill, Streamwood, IL : October 23, 2007 3:06 pm

I'll write this slow so you can read it "Billy", Mitt Romney has had ONE wife and has been happily married with no cheating at ALL for about 35 years.

Neither party has the claim to moral superiority as BOTH SIDES have played the we are for families and have family values, and BOTH parties have lied, cheated and created scandal just as much as the other.

Focus on what this posting is about and not acting like school kids, "well so and so did this" and "so and so did that".

Simple question, was Hillary being strong and truthful by "standing by her man"(Hi dawn) after repeated infidelities or did she just do it for strictly "political expedience"?

Focus on the subject at hand, please.

I'd be interested in viewpoints based simply on these two and nobody else.

October 23, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. Ann,

Oh so romantic i wounder if billy boy was also so romatic with monika

October 23, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. Otis, Whitefish MT

Hmmm, why does the collection of Hillary hate seems to be concentrated with the supporters of the party of sexual deviants, pedophils, deranged, pernicious evangelicals, self-rightous war mongering, lying, deceitful, self-absorbed, selfish, greedy, ...REPUBLICANS?

October 23, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. Observer

So does this mean Laura Bush will be running for President in a few years time ?

seems like being the White house wife qualifies for experience in this country.

October 23, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  12. Amero,L.A.,Ca

I am still amazed at the stupidity and immaturity of the American electorate. You people still look at this election as a republican and democrat issue. Both parties are two heads of the same snake. There is no difference just an illusion of one. All the so-called leading contenders are members of the council of foreign relations which is a well known globalist, Northern American Union, corporate American serving organization containing the elite of the elite (Romney,Billary,Guiliani,Obama, etc.) Luckily, democrats and republicans are both inferior in numbers to the new majority independents. You know them, the non cool-aid drinking rational citizens. Wake up people even Hillary stated she isn't pulling the troops of Iraq. Wake up!

October 23, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  13. Matt Brent

I just threw up on my keyboard! Thanks CNN, this is going to be a real hassle to clean up!

October 23, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  14. Andy, San Antonio

Apparently this is more important then why there seems to be a Chinese cloud hanging over the Clintons that no one will address.

October 23, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. Mary Corder, Indianapolis, IN

My, my, what an extremely jaded bunch! I know that every marriage has its problems. What goes on inside a marriage isn't really anyone's business, whether they are president or running for president. Just because we know about theirs doesn't mean that yours or anyone else's marriage is better. Their marriage is really the way marriage is in many countries - it's an alliance that brings greater strength to both of them.

October 23, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. Flagship, Hartford, Connecticut

I love how much all you Republicans hate the Clintons. You supported the worst president in history and now YOU have american blood on your hands! The Hillary stood by her man "for better and for worst". They are much better for our country than any of the others.

October 23, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. Phil Chicago, Ill

HOW CUTE!! I bet all the women sleeping with Bill say the same thing, Hill. Just think – after you lose the election, you, your romantic husband, and his 6 ongoing affairs can move to the high plains of the Utah desert to create a "village" to raise Bill's new children.

October 23, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  18. Billy my love, Boca, FL

Mike from Houston

Perjury is the crime that bothers you the most about Bill Clinton. By applying this standard you must really hate the current administration.

His time was the most prosperous time in recent years for America. Remember we had a surplus and double digit employment growth in all major sectors of the economy. If Bill Clinton’s sexual indiscretions were the only price … I’d say we got off cheap!

October 23, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  19. Lauren, Uniondale, NY

Hilary is a politician...
    she is doing what a good politician would do.
    Who even knows what their life is like only they do. I love Bill Clinton and Hillary, maybe not as husband and wife but they are good people on a whole.
    I think that they will be this world's POWER COUPLE!
    I CANNOT WAIT!!!
    LOVE THE CLINTONS

October 23, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  20. Jeff, San Antonio, TX

As my grandmother told me..if you have to spread a rumor about someone to make yourself feel better...you're simply a low life. So, If you are commenting on here based on what you've been told by someone or watched or heard on FOX News, or invented..you're simply spreading rumors....that qualifies those of you doing that for the title of LOW LIFE. The best way not to be a low life is to Think for yourself, do your research on this person as a human being and public official and make up your own mind....don't be a mindless sheep.

October 23, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  21. Verticle

Disingenuous and calculating.......not the kind of person we need in the White House

October 23, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Ok, but really... the watch reminded him of teeth? how is that romantic? sounds kinda gross...

October 23, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  23. Joel Sierra Vista, AZ

Just wondering if he has ever brought home to Hilary an STD from his overseas adventures?

October 23, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  24. Linda, Denver, CO

Ya know folks, people CAN change. Yes, Bill cheated and she could have thrown him to the curb. But she chose to try to work it out, and it appears Bill got the message and made the same effort. I suspect she threatened him with the riot act if he ever strayed again... and I suspect he knew she meant it. Personally, I wouldn't want to betray the lady and expect her to forgive more than once!
    For those who say it can't be done, I beg to differ. I have a very close friend who had a short "fling" with a younger woman. I figured his marriage was Over with a capital O. His wife, rightfully & understandably, went ballistic. But he is trying really really really hard to work it out with her. He blames himself totally and is so remorseful that I hope they can work it out. He is like a different person today than when this happened, so I really think people can change and sometimes deserve a second chance. Maybe Bill was one of those men who recognized what a monumental stupid idiotic mistake he made and decided to turn his life around.

October 23, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  25. Chris Carey, Lapeer Michigan

Why when its soo important to regain control of the country do the Democrats insist that our choices are Clinton or Obama? Edwards starts looking good after these distractions. Thousands of American and Iraqi lives are at stake meanwhile we squabble about Hillary's marriage?

October 23, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |