October 23rd, 2007

Hillary opens up on romance with Bill

Sen. Clinton said she is 'really happy' she made the decision to stay with husband Bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is quite the romantic husband, according to wife Hillary.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner discusses her relationship with her famous spouse in the latest issue of Essence Magazine, describing how the former president often showers her with gifts when returning from trips abroad.

"He's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips," the New York senator told the magazine. "He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch…I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth.”

Clinton adds she is "really happy" she decided to stay with her husband following the news of his affair in 1996 with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

"Obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows," she told the magazine. “But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges and I'm really happy that I made that decision."

"Again, not a decision for everybody," she continued. "And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them.”

Clinton also describes her first impressions of the future president when passing him by chance at Yale Law School in 1971.

"I thought he was very attractive. I mean, he was tall. At the time he had long hair and a red beard. His hair was much more red-gold, and it was curly, and he had a vikingesque beard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. Ken, Tucson, AZ

All of you, who are critical of Sen. Clintonsstatements and feelings for her husband, should take a closer look at your own relationships. It amazes me how all of you seem to know what's in her mind and heart.

October 23, 2007 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Laura Schaumburg IL

All you Bill and Hillary fans really need to wake up! I mean c'mon, are you people really that gullable? If America were to have a king and queen, Hillary and Bill would be royalty? Are your frigg'n kidding me? PAHLEEZ! Spare me the bull****.

October 23, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. Brendan Q, NJ

Please romantic? Hillary is so phony and insincere it makes me sick. Dave in Colorado is right on the money when he says her commitment to the marriage was just a good political move.

October 23, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. Ray, Rochester

If America had a King and Queen, William Jefferson Clinton and Hillary R Clinton would be our royalty. Bill and Hillary are the most loved and most reviled couple in the country.
    Bill at his worst is 100 times better than Bush and Hillary, well, she is nonpariel. These two are an American treasure, much to the dismay of republicans.

Posted By Tom, AlBUQUERQUE, NM : October 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Tom,

A national treasure??? Dude, you need to lay off the peyote.

Republicans are praying the Dems are stupid enough to nominate this woman. It will be a field day and another 8 years of Republican rule in the White House!

October 23, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  5. bprossersme

Is this informative, news, political? What gross self-absorbtion to think that people would want to know this. Far, far too much information.

October 23, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  6. Clement NYC

This newest Clinton script is just so sad. I suppose their handlers suspect (they are probably correct) that her political opponents are gearing up to expose all of Billy's affairs in Europe since he's left the White House. I hear about them all the time when I visit relatives in Europe. Don't know if the rumors are true.

October 23, 2007 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. Annie, Muncie Indiana

This article just makes me ill. I have absolutely no respect for this woman,or her husband . Their's is a marriage with a power agenda. My biggest beef with this woman is that she has given a "powerful" message to the young women of our country.The message is it's O.K. to stay with a philandering husband as long as the pay off is money and power,nevermind that your personhood has been devalued and that you are worth more than that.
    This spin-doctor prescription makes me sick!

October 23, 2007 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Mike, chicago il

Give me a break. Why would anyone be outraged about this whether it was politically motivated or not? Seriously in the grand scheme of things if someone said they loved thier husband to get votes would that bother you any more then all of the other broken promises along the campaign trail. I just think this illicits such a response because of the strong hatred of the clintons. If anyone in the same situation said this it would be a non story.

October 23, 2007 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Mary, Tulsa, Oklahoma

Gross. He horrible and she is worse. Talk about a step back for womens' rights. She kept him around for political reasons only – and he knows it. Makes me sick.

October 23, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Pamela, Brooklyn, NY

More disingenuous BS from Hillary. Blah, blah, blah...

October 23, 2007 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Best vid ever on why NOT to have a Clinton/Bush dynasty; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c0eLVYbnI4

October 23, 2007 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. RuthieM

oh true love, a WOODEN giraffe...

October 23, 2007 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. Linda Carter, Portland, OR

DT of Wisconsin and Maria of Florida:

You guys are so much of Clinton haters and seems that you know nothing outside of FOX and Rush. Its shameful that you blame Clinton for the total mess Bush has created so far (3,800 dead and 800 billion in hole, and countless Iraqis dead). By your standard if the presidency is decided on who has the clenest marriage record, then why not Cheney run for the presidency after your family man Bush? Guliani of course won't fit into that category at all.

October 23, 2007 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Tom,
    It is all a bunch of hype. The Clintons set back the cause of women everywhere when Billy's escapades came to light and Hillary "stood by". She set back our cause 500 years. It sent out the clear message that having an affair on your wife might result in a slap on the wrist, but it will be OK. Look, the President did it and all is well.

I can't STAND what Hillary represents, it makes my stomach wretch.

October 23, 2007 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. Democrat, Brooklyn, NY

More disingenuous BS from Hillary... blah, blah, blah

October 23, 2007 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. Linda, Chandler, AZ

Oh, my GOD!!! You've go to be kidding me!!!! WHO CARES!!! You know why you have to print STUPID articles like this?? Because this woman has no SUBSTANCE!!! She is NOT a leader!! Good grief, America WAKE UP!!

October 23, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  17. Walt, Belton, TX

He's also about the only chance she has of being elected President. She's got no personality, surely not much to look at, so, really she's got brains and determination. That's probably the reason Bill couldn't get away too, God bless his miserable soul.

October 23, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  18. Dan, Bloomington, IL

Jon, from Pittsburg, PA was right on target about how we shouldn't talk about others we don't know until he became as negative and critical about Christians in general. You definitely showed your cards on that one.

It's a common principle that what bothers us the most about other people is usually the biggest problem within our own life.

My bet is that a large percentage of these people attacking Hillary now with such deep knowledge of her every thought and intention would claim to be Christian. All the while they are spreading gossip and lies. They are not acting very Christian-like. If you think you know so much about the Clintons from what you’ve heard on the news or talk-radio, you are so sadly mistaken and should be ashamed instead of so bold. My guess is that you could never stand up to this kind of scrutiny and focus on yourselves.

Posted By Jon, Pittsburgh, PA : October 23, 2007 2:31 pm

October 23, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  19. TC Minneapolis MN

Sounds to me folks, like you'd all be a lot happier with Ron Paul for President. This guy is the smartest guy running, quite consistent, doesn't lie, and won't interfere with the Constitution, regardless of his religious position.

October 23, 2007 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. Dave Malone - Red Springs, KY

Hillary's thinly-veiled attempt at appearing more human, comes across as wooden – predictably.

She should've emphasized "family" and hauled out Chelsea for some hugs and discussions about important values, religion, etc.

I wish the GOP would put up a viable candidate who doesn't make me retch.

October 23, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Chris, Maui, HI

Gross.

October 23, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  22. Karen,nj

What a bunch of disqusting people. I would expect that from Republicans, but Democrats. Very few people here have any manners.

October 23, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  23. BKelley Hershey,Pa

Scuse me while I puke.

October 23, 2007 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Maurice, Washington, DC

Why does Hillary have to pay for mistakes Bill Clinton made? Seriously!!! Please cut the lady some slack.

Can someone please show me the perfect marriage? There is no such thing as the perfect marriage. She made decisions that worked for her just like every other woman should make decisions that work for them. What were her vows? 'For good or for bad', so God himself knew there will be good days and bad days. What's important is that the good days outweigh the not so good ones.

It's very interesting to note here that the people who are mad at Hillary for staying with her man are SINGLE. Most married couples feel differently because they know the trials and tribulations of a marriage. But SINGLE people on the other hand...well 'misery loves company'.

Had Hillary left Bill when he had an affair then all of you will now be saying she doesn't value family because she didn't stand by her man and forgive her man. She decided to stay and you want her committed for that too....WOW. Give the lady a break!!!

October 23, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. Janna, Dallas, TX

I don't care about their romance, or the fact that he philandered, or the fact that Hilary stayed with him in spite of it.

I do care that this is an inane topic in a long line of inane topics. Hillary's clothing, her hair, wearing or not wearing a flag pin, her laugh, and her cleavage - her CLEAVAGE! - have all been headline news for some reason. Now her level of romance with Bill? Come on, Mooney. That's not really worth blogging about. Whether or not we support Hillary for president, it'd be nice to see less recycled fluff.

October 23, 2007 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |