October 23rd, 2007

Mrs. Edwards visits the Situation Room

Watch Elizabeth Edwards explain why her husband should win the White House.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, wife of Democratic presidential contender John Edwards, D-North Carolina, was in the Situation Room Monday. She discussed healthcare, what it's like to be a candidate's spouse, and two of her husband's White House rivals - Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, R-New York. Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Mrs. Edwards.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

1. Dennis, Anchorage, Alaska

You know, I campaigned hard for John Edwards in 2004. But his attacks on the Clinton's, lack of a positive campaign and mean spirited wife have me rushing to Hillary. At least she has ideas and has the experience that he's desperate to have. Why don't you go get another huge house and haircut while speaking about the poor John, you embarrassing mean hypocrite!

October 22, 2007 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  2. Karen,nj

I am totaly disqusted with Wolf and I am disqusted with that woman for putting that PEI next to her name. The nerve of her thinking that I would be in the dark about what she is trying to pull. About 50 people total. Then you wonder why I don't know who I am talking to half the time. They have like 20 names each. That's 1000 people.

October 22, 2007 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  3. Bryan, Chicago IL

Mrs. Edwards visits the situation room, and I'm sure she was warmly received and applauded by CNN

October 22, 2007 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  4. ronnie knoxville, tn.

yikes ! Not an attractive person

October 22, 2007 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  5. bprossersme

I'm sorry, but this woman has problems. Or should I say, these women? Whatever.

October 22, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  6. Cathy M in Tn

Some people fault her for things she says sometimes but people also want honesty above anything else. I don't have to like everything someone says but I respect and expect honesty and she has that. Her husband is honst too and admits mistakes which is a trait that is had to find in someone who has money and is in the public eye.

October 23, 2007 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  7. deroy

is she the candidate?

have we seen her medical reports?

October 23, 2007 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  8. AJ; Montpelier, VT

This shrew should really just go away. She hurting her husbands chances more than helping.

October 23, 2007 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  9. Chris, Middletown, CT

"well...you see...if he's in the White House...he won't sue insurance companies for hundreds of millions....thus causing your insurance rate to skyrocket....and making it difficult for small businesses to afford it...John is one of the major reasons why insurance is so high....so...if we make him president....you no longer have to worry about that" (well....just the Bar Association who actively contributes to him....) 2+2=?

October 23, 2007 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  10. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

I wish only the best for Elizabeth Edwards.

However, her constant berating of her husband's opponents has become shrill. So I no longer read or listen to her comments with the same open-mindedness or attention as in the past.

Again, I wish her the best.

October 23, 2007 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  11. freetobeme, Rochester, PA

I really don't care what she thinks. In the Constitution, there is no role for the spouse of the President of the United States of America. And that is exactly the way it should be.

Personally, though, judging from her past comments, I think she would do well to keep her mouth shut.

October 23, 2007 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  12. Jack Rollason; Youngstown, Ohio

I seriously question the character and moral fiber of a person who uses the scurge of cancer to further her spouses policital ambitions. Shame on you Mrs. Edwards. You have the moral fortitude of a sleazy ambulance chaser...you must have married one.

October 23, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  13. Ryan Indianapolis

Please go away and take your lil girlfriend John with you.

October 23, 2007 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  14. Fred, Athens, PA

Shame on CNN, you reek of your left wing agenda.

October 23, 2007 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. RAINIE FT MYERS, FL

NO, THE SHAME IS ON YOU, JACK.

October 23, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  16. Just Curious

She looks much older than her husband. Anyone knows their age difference?

October 23, 2007 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. Carolyn Mason Sutherlin, Oregon

To attack Mrs. Edwards for supporting her husband and accusing her of using her illness for "sympathy" is just plain wrong. She has as much right as any of the candidates' wives to further her husband's quest to become president. She is not mentioning her illness at all!

October 23, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  18. Matt, Chicago

John,
    That statement is ridiculous. Is she supposed to remain mute, or be holed up in a corner, meekly wasting away? A typical kneejerk reaction of hateful conservatives who use personal, inconsequential attacks on respectable Democratic figures(see Al Gore).
    I'll keep looking for your name and disparaging message each time Rudy invokes '9/11.'

October 23, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  19. Alex,PA

Now she is going to go on Wolf Blitzer's Situation Room to finish her husband off. He will be watching her with that stupid grin on his face, unaware of what is happening, as usual.

October 23, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. Angela, Alexandria, VA

Kudos to her!!! This woman has CANCER and is still more active than idiots like Fred Thompson. Go John!

October 23, 2007 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. Jr. Sacramento, CA

Wow! Is that his grandmother?

October 23, 2007 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. Max, Austin, TX

John is still running?

October 23, 2007 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. Liberal Chic

Now, I haven't liked Elizabeth Edwards in recent months, but I think the postings here are a little mean spirited. She is only 2 or 3 years older than John Edwards. But she has battled cancer and chemotherapy and all sorts of crap. You don't look so hot after you go through one of those. And, she has admitted to struggling with her weight. So what? I don't really care for John Edwards what with having had been a litigation lawyer (tough he seems a smart enough guy), but I have to give him credit for sticking by his wife and being loving through thick and thin. He's the real deal kind of husband.

Also, I think people should leave Edwards alone about his haircut and his house. His house is large by most standards but is only about 11,000 s.f. which is very large but not obscenly so for rich people. The rest of the square footage for his compound is for the indoor gym. They have money so they want their children to be able to play basketball and whatnot when it rains. So, yes, he's a little profligate, but not hideously so.

And as some of you mentioned, he does look awfully young for a man of fifty. And he had used this barber (a image consultant of sort) to help him look more mature for his first presidential run. The barber was referred to him by a friend because he (the barber) routinely does this sort of thing for people of importance and being a Democrat, had actually offered the service for free to Edwards.

I think Edwards did look more seasoned with this barber's help, but when Edwards would travel, the barber could not afford to fly out to to him and eat ticket costs and so forth. So the $400 cost was kind of like what one would pay an image consultant for professional fees/food/travel. So it's really not that ridiculous when you get down to it.

I just don't like him because I think he's not quite qualified to be the President and there's too much misrepresentation about his turn as an ambulance chaser.

October 24, 2007 12:57 am at 12:57 am |