October 24th, 2007

Giuliani shocks Yankee fans; backs Red Sox in World Series

Watch Giuliani explain why he is backing the Red Sox in the World Series.

(CNN) - It may be politically popular in the heart of Red Sox Nation, but that probably didn’t make the admission any easier for Yankee fan Rudy Giuliani.

The former New York City mayor acknowledged at a Boston news conference Tuesday he is rooting for the rival Red Sox to win the World Series.

“I’m not saying that just because I’m here in Massachusetts,” the Republican presidential candidate said to applause and laughs. “If I’m in Colorado in the next week or two, you will see I will have the courage to tell the people of Colorado the same thing.”

He said that, as an American League fan, he always backs the team from the Yankees’ league.

Giuliani was in Boston to pick up the endorsement of former state treasurer Joe Malone, in the backyard of challenger Mitt Romney - the former governor of Massachusetts.

On Wednesday morning, the New York media took Giuliani to task for his team turnabout. In front page placements, the New York Post called the former mayor a "Red Coat," and the New York Daily News proclaimed him a "traitor."

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Steve, Sumter SC

Is this a slow... let me rephase... Is this a no-news day? I am sure those poor folk in Cali would beg to differ!

October 23, 2007 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  2. Joe, Dc

What an unprincipled, pandering phony. As a true Yankees fan, I always root against the Red Sox no matter what. Geez, this guy changes the teams he roots for almost as easily as he changes wives!

October 23, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. RB, from the bay state

What a coincidence – He's suddenly a Red Sox fan.

If he was speaking in Denver who do you think he'd be rooting for?

This is pandering 101. He passed the test.

October 23, 2007 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  4. Derek Jeter

I've never known a Yanks fan to back the Red Sox for any reason, particularly just because they're in the same league. He's a flip flopper.

October 23, 2007 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. Bobby

A Liberal backs a team from Massachusetts .. is this really news?

Go Rockies!

October 23, 2007 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  6. Governor Arnold

The Cali fires are covered on the front pages of CNN, not on the political ticker.

October 23, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. pat huntington ny

Could he pander anymore! Could he change his positions just to get votes anymore! He's sickening!

October 23, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  8. Carol

As a Red Sox fan all I can say is God save us all. If Rudy is on our side can stupidity and ruinination be far behind?

October 23, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  9. Chris, Middletown, CT

I like our next president – think he will do a great job! Giuliani 08!

October 23, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. J, Henderson CO

oh sad. I am from colorado and we are going to win! Sorry you cant enjoy the wonderful celebration afterward Mr. G.

GO ROCKIES! (and broncos)

October 23, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. Tom - Dedham, Mass

What's the difference between a Yankee dog and a Fenway frank?

You can buy a Fenway Frank in October..........

His endorsement of Torre didn't work out to well did it (though the should have kept him)?

Hope it's not a pattern of bad luck here with the exception being the elections of course, sorry Chris from CT.

Should be a good series, Colorado is as hot as Obamas's wife (hee, hee).

October 23, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. Matt D., Denver, CO

What a moron!

October 23, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  13. RAINIE FT MYERS, FL

HE'S WORSE THAN A FLIP-FLOPPER...HE'S THE R'S FRONT RUNNER..

October 23, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Richard Henry, Miami FL

Mr Giuliani is just being coherent as a Yankee fan. Let's face it: in their inner souls Yankees love the Sox; they just can't stop picking them (Ruth, Boogs, Clemens, Damon).
    By the way, Mr Giuliani, now definitely you have my vote.

October 23, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. Andy, New York, New York

BIG DEAL! What's wrong with Rudy being a Yankees fan but not being able to pick the Red Sox to win the World Series? Maybe based on his own assessments of the strengths and weaknesses of both teams, he determined that Sox was the better bet.

October 23, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  16. Adam Cahn, New York, NY

As A Yankee fan and a Rudy backer, I can let this one slide.

While I'm rooting for Colorado myself (to the extent that I care, which is negligible) I feel similarly about rooting for the American League 9 times out of 10.

Boston is a great city. If I'd grown up there, I'd probably root for the Sox myself. It's cool.

October 23, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  17. Jerry Garica

He is a Red Sox weeany! Turncoat. He will lose both races.

October 23, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. Anonymous

CNN! please get some more interesting stuff, Guliani is way too ugly.

October 23, 2007 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  19. Chris, FL

Told you, he's a commy!

October 23, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. Zaina Raleigh, NC

or maybe Giuliani is the most fake, calculating, politician there ever was. I'm surprised he didn't manage to push a 9/11 reference in there, now theres a first.

October 23, 2007 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  21. Jonnie, West Springfield, MA

Why should we care if one self-serving millionare perfers one particular group of self-serving millionares over
    another group of self-serving millionares, while all three try to squeeze every last dime out of the country and its people...oh wait thats what politics is generally about

Support firefighters and teachers, not people who make absurd gobs of money playing a schoolyard game (and still cry for more...and then theres that whole illegal drugs thing...)and, sigh, yes, I know "its a business...free market..yadda yadda.." save your breath...)

October 23, 2007 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. Rod C. Venger, Colorado Springs, CO.

Only an idiot would put money on Boston in the World Series. Colorado is going to teach all you east coaster's a thing or two about the strength of the REAL America...the one that doesn't exist east of the Mississippi anymore.

October 23, 2007 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. JIM - Mesa, AZ.

Like Bush, every time I see this these two, I want to reach for my wallet to make sure it's still there and then I want to take a shower, both are slime-balls, but then again, I feel that way about most republicans, I mean, look at how many of them got busted for some type of crime over the past couple of years and this is suppose to be the party of the Christian right, kinda makes ya want to throw up and question Christianity. No wonder there's so many atheist today, they know to many so called Christians or should I say "hipocrites."

October 23, 2007 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. Ann ME

Well, he said he was honest.

October 23, 2007 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |