October 24th, 2007

Giuliani shocks Yankee fans; backs Red Sox in World Series

Watch Giuliani explain why he is backing the Red Sox in the World Series.

(CNN) - It may be politically popular in the heart of Red Sox Nation, but that probably didn’t make the admission any easier for Yankee fan Rudy Giuliani.

The former New York City mayor acknowledged at a Boston news conference Tuesday he is rooting for the rival Red Sox to win the World Series.

“I’m not saying that just because I’m here in Massachusetts,” the Republican presidential candidate said to applause and laughs. “If I’m in Colorado in the next week or two, you will see I will have the courage to tell the people of Colorado the same thing.”

He said that, as an American League fan, he always backs the team from the Yankees’ league.

Giuliani was in Boston to pick up the endorsement of former state treasurer Joe Malone, in the backyard of challenger Mitt Romney - the former governor of Massachusetts.

On Wednesday morning, the New York media took Giuliani to task for his team turnabout. In front page placements, the New York Post called the former mayor a "Red Coat," and the New York Daily News proclaimed him a "traitor."

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Brian, College Park, MD

Rudy Giuliani is the Kevin Millar of American Politics.

Go throw out the first pitch and give a stump speech on the FOX pre-game show, Rude! You'll still be on a team that's not going to win!

October 24, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. Josh, Hoboken NJ

I love the people on this blog with the "slow news day?" comments. One short blurb on the political blog (not even a real story, just a blog entry) and apparently this implies that CNN places the same weight on the story as it does on the California fires.

I also like the people who want to blame CNN for Americans' choices on what is and what is not important. Do I think what baseball team a man roots for has any bearing on his ability or competence to govern? No. But Americans don't vote for candidates on their merits. They vote based on polls, rhetoric, vague whims, and the like.

Based on the suspect quality of the arguments made by many of the commenters on this post, it seems like that the undereducation at the root of our poor collective judgment is alive and well.

October 24, 2007 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  3. dan, Denver, CO

Hey look everybody, now he's the Mayor of 9/11 and the Red Sox.

As a Rockies fan all I have to say is you can have this loser Red Sox fans. We don't need a cross-dressing, 9/11 exploiting, bandwagon jumping idiot like Rudy.

October 24, 2007 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  4. Doug, Boston, MA

Why can't he just say he's rooting for no one because his team isn't in the World Series? Why come here and pander and look like more of an idiot and a flip-flopper. At least the guy has shown his true colors. It makes you wonder what else he'll say just to get the vote.

October 24, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  5. l. chicago, il

Seriously, who cares?? How is this news? With so many more important things we should be concerned about, how is it possible that the media believes that this is even remotely news worthy??? This is yet another way to get people to stop focusing on things like the illegal war in iraq, the lack of health care coverage in the US, global warming, etc., and instead focus on insignificant things like this. Don't feed the monster!! WAKE UP!! YOUR WORLD IS FALLING APART! WHEN IT ALL GOES TO HELL WILL YOU THINK BACK TO WHAT TEAM THIS GUY BACKED IN THE WORLD SERIES??

October 24, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  6. Chris, NYC

I'm a Yankees fan, but I can understand that he backs the American League team. Rudy saved my town, that's all I know. My garbage carting rate fell 50% when Rudy quashed the Mob strong hold on waste management. No surprise he was our hero on 9/11.

October 24, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  7. J. Milano NYC

I agree with Rudy on this one

I have been a Yankee fan all my life but I respect the Red Sox and their manager and hope they win this year

October 24, 2007 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  8. Chiffonade,

Oh, now that was bright ((sigh)). "Always back the team in the Yankees' league..." ?? That's about as skewed logic as Bush's. That's the first similarity I've ever seen between Giuliani (who has a brain) and Bush (who doesn't).

I'm frightened.

October 24, 2007 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. Roy, Boston, MA

Giuliani's vapid comments are insignificant. We're in the middle of a war and there's a state of emergency in southern California. Baseball is a game, that's it.

October 24, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. Michael Lloyd, Atlanta, GA

Rudi seems to be a "flip – flopper."

October 24, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. Chris, Washington DC

Dear Tom from Deham,

The Yankees last home game this season was on October 8th, Please be more accurate with your jokes. Also everyone knows that the territory Red Sox Nation is akin to The Peoples Temple of California, you drink the KoolAid and lose your better judgment. It's ok Rudy, it could have happened to anyone.

October 24, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. Kate, Houston TX

For all of you that have commented that this was "a slow news day", "this isn't real news", "who cares", etc. Obviously, you all do or you wouldn't have read the article nor would you have commented on it. No, it's not headline news but it isn't meant to be; that's why it is in the Political Ticker section not on the front page. This article shows the true Rudy, someone who changes his mind at will in order to win votes. Can you really believe what he has to say (well, probably no more or less than we should believe any politician)?

To think that because we're reading this article, we're not caring about the people in California is ridiculous. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Anyone who is a true Yankees fan or Red Sox fan or true fan of any team, you would understand why Rudy's comments are insulting.

October 24, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. GeoSync

Jeez, anybody who thinks this story matters to sports, the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Rockies, or anyone else needs to move on to the next story.

A word to all Yankees fans who cheerf against the Red Sox in the Series. Why waste your precious time and energy? When the Yankees are in the Series, I just turn it off.

PS The Rockies came out of nowhere and all of a sudden. Meanwhile, the Sox have had the best record in baseball all season long. Soon the Rockies will return to where they came from...nowhere. Go Sox!

October 24, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. Fort Worth TX

With all the required info I would like on a candidate in order to decide if I should vote for him to lead the most powerful country in the world... His choice of which team he wants to win the World Series is about the most useless bit of information that a candidtae can possibly provide.

Can the world leader of news CNN explain why this is important?

October 24, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. Craig Dawson, New York City, NY

Who cares who Giuliani is rooting for and what does it have to do with his ability or lack thereof to be President. The World Series is NOT a political issue AND there will be another one before the 2008 elections. Should we start worrrying about who he's rooting for next year? Get with the program Mr & Mrs America.

October 24, 2007 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  16. Denise Villasana

It should come to no ones surprise that Guiliani is a sleazy politician first and a Yankee fan second.

October 24, 2007 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. FORT Worth TX

only use Tom V please

October 24, 2007 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  18. Fingerbo

As a lifelong New Yorker I can honestly say I don't care at all about the Yankees or the Mets. I don't care about sports. But I do care about politics, and this is just an example of the opportunism of Mr. Giuliani. It's a tiny example of what America could expect from this lowlife.

October 24, 2007 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. tom Richmond,VA

As a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, I would back the Browns, Ravens, and/or Bengals if they were in the playoffs and the Steelers weren't.

Yank fans, Get off Rudy's back...

October 24, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. Theresa Anchorge, Ak/ NYC, NY

He lost my vote a long time ago with the fact that he thinks we should not only be allowed to sanction illegal immigrants, but with the fact that he doesnt believe in gay marriages. I am not gay but I do believe that in this country we should be allowed to choose our happiness and just because it is not the same as the majority of people should not make it wrong. But now he has decided to do soemthing that anyone that calls themselves a true Yankees fan would never do and back Boston. Yeah I hope he doesnt win anything for now on.

October 24, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. Brittney, Ann Arbor, MI

What is he doing?! That would be like an elected official from Ann Arbor backing Ohio State in the National Championship. Although what matters most is where one stands on the issues, I'm sure people will latch onto this and use it as a reason not to back him.

October 24, 2007 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. Eddie P.

Rudy backs the American league representative? Good thing Cleveland didn't win then. The Democrats would have called him unsympathetic to Native Americans. Politics! What a joke until they get their retirement!

October 24, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. CAL, NY, NY

Forget his baseball allegiance(s). This guy is a dangerous hack–dangerous because of his inconsistency and unpredictability (here is New York, we already have one guy like that–Spitzer)...Gotta go, my wife is on the phone.

October 24, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. Jeff from Jersey

Rudy's on his back for votes!He doesn't care who he has to screw to get elected.Chris from Conn. and all you other naive Rudy supporters had better wake up to this rat before your working on your back for him.

October 24, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  25. A. Thomas, New York, NY

Is Giuliani a stupid or just inexperienced politician?

October 24, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |