October 24th, 2007

Giuliani shocks Yankee fans; backs Red Sox in World Series

Watch Giuliani explain why he is backing the Red Sox in the World Series.

(CNN) - It may be politically popular in the heart of Red Sox Nation, but that probably didn’t make the admission any easier for Yankee fan Rudy Giuliani.

The former New York City mayor acknowledged at a Boston news conference Tuesday he is rooting for the rival Red Sox to win the World Series.

“I’m not saying that just because I’m here in Massachusetts,” the Republican presidential candidate said to applause and laughs. “If I’m in Colorado in the next week or two, you will see I will have the courage to tell the people of Colorado the same thing.”

He said that, as an American League fan, he always backs the team from the Yankees’ league.

Giuliani was in Boston to pick up the endorsement of former state treasurer Joe Malone, in the backyard of challenger Mitt Romney - the former governor of Massachusetts.

On Wednesday morning, the New York media took Giuliani to task for his team turnabout. In front page placements, the New York Post called the former mayor a "Red Coat," and the New York Daily News proclaimed him a "traitor."

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Scott from Freehold

And Republicans call Clinton a phoney!

October 24, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  2. Sean, Mullica Hill, NJ

I'd sooner back the Afghani Airline Pilots National Softball Team than the Red Sox. Good One rudy.

Ps. Your pre 9-11 approval rating was 36% Rudy.

October 24, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. Dan,Raleigh, North Carolina

what a flip flopper!

October 24, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  4. mark, white plains, NY

this is a total joke – with all the problems we are facing domestically and internationally (with Iraq front & center) WHO CARES what baseball team Giuliani endorses?

more non-news being put out to hide the real issues...

October 24, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. Daneisha, Millville, NJ

As a Yankee fan since birth, I am appalled that a so called "fan" would back the Red Sox. There are certain constants in life: the sun rising each morning, the stars in the sky and the Yankees rooting AGAINST the Red Sox! Check the fan book, Giuliani, it's against our Yankee laws to root for the Red Sox!

October 24, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  6. Randy from Peninsula OH

As a Cleveland Indians fan, am I not allowed to root for one team or the other in the World Series? Maybe I'm missing something, but if your team doesn't make it to the series are you not allowed to pick sides? If the World Series was between the Yankees and the Red Sox, then I would hope that the former mayor would support the home team.

October 24, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. Max, Austin, TX

SHOCKING! I'm shocked. Shocked beyond belief. Incredibly shocking. This is completely shocking.

What does "shocking" mean?

October 24, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  8. LGannon, Denver, CO

US Electoral Votes; MA – 12, CO – 8. Hmmmmmm?

October 24, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. EB Rideout, Georgia

It means you're the king of the Shoc nation. But in this case it also means you'll never be addressed as "Mr. President"

October 24, 2007 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. T Williams, Katy Texas

Guiliani is such a flip-flopper!! How dare he change his position after we have endorsed him!

October 24, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. Dan, Illinois

He flips teams just like he flip flops on political views. Check out Tom Tancredo for President. He has kept the same views for many years now. God Bless America! http://www.teamtancredo.com

October 24, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Bill. Bloomington IL

Traitor? That would be Johnny Damon.

October 24, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. Jonathan T., Hoboken, NJ

Please, all republicans vote for Rudy and let him be your nominee. We would love to have a general election between Hillary/Obama/Edwards vs Guliani. We need Guliani and no one else. If Ron Paul is elected, then and then Democrats will loose for sure!

October 24, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. Dave, Alpharetta, GA

Rudy FLIP-FLOPS even on the Yankees!

When he is in Cleveland, he will be telling the voters "how disappointed that the Indians did not go all the way!"

There is nothing real about this guy, yet so-called "Conservatives" are selling out to him. Sad.

October 24, 2007 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  15. Shane, Plano TEXAS

East Coast Bias!

October 24, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  16. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Well, I wonder where he got that statement? Can you say O'Reilly from Faux news? Did you take that vertabim from his comments? Get some original material please

I can't say whether what O'R says is true or not, since he basically recites GOP talking points and shouts down anybody who dares challange him. Maybe Faux news should provide something other that Rupert Murdoch's Fox News/NY Post conservative slant? "Fair and Balanced" is a load of crap and they know it.

Posted By Al, NY NY : October 24, 2007 12:32 pm

He everybody Al from New York has a new and original saying to make fun of the most watched news organization by a mile in cable news, get this, Faux news.

That is an absolute riot, hey I got one, Faux noise as in noise of liberals and Conservatives actually sitting down together and talking about a given subject.

Those biased bastards, how dare they have conservatives on together with liberals on ALL of their shows spewing multiple opinions on multiple topics.

I want my news from one source, that MSNBC is good with that highly watched and unbiased Keith Olbermann, he says one thing and has two "parrots" on that agree with everything he says.

Yep, that's how I like making my decisions, one viewpoint, one thought process and one mindset, like the old days.

Faux news, good stuff.

October 24, 2007 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  17. ed

As a native Bostonian, I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever root, wish luck or even have a decent thought for the New York Yankees. Rudy is a PHONY.

October 24, 2007 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  18. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

Well the rudest comment by a true politician and no Yankee fan thats for sure!! He just lost N.Y. and most of the Florida transplants from N.Y.

I even know Italian New Yorkers who have now flushed him – What a phony baloney Pol.

Backing Boston are you kidding me!
    Is he going to go for the photo opp
    during the series wearing a Boston cap!

The man certainly can not be trusted!
    What a disappointment!

October 24, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. Hoop, Elizabeth City, NC

Everyone is reading into this way too much. I can't even believe the I posted a comment, but c'mon, listen to yourselves!! I'm a Sox fan, always have been and always will be. So, who cares what he wants. It's what's GOING TO HAPPEN that matters...

October 24, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  20. Evan Esteves, Boca Raton, FL (Formerly of Queens NY)

I can't believe some of you "Bandwagon Yankees" fans saying you are going to root for the Red Sox....A true Yankee fan would NEVER root for the Red Sox regardless of who the National League team is...Now go support your Rudy Fooliani and stop calling yourself "Yankees fans"!

October 24, 2007 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. Jackie Bonilla, Florida

Who really cares? I don't care who a future presidents favorite sports team is, and neither should you.

October 24, 2007 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  22. Jackie Bonilla, FL

I admire Rudy for telling the truth instead of kissing butt. We need a lot more of that in this country. It doesn't matter one little bit what team he's routing for.

October 24, 2007 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  23. Travis - Fremont, CA

Yankee fans should ALWAYS cheer against the Red Sox.

Red Sox fans should ALWAYS cheer against the Yankee's. It's the natural world order of things. Just as you'll never see cats and mice partying together, Sox & Yanks fans should never root for the other. Giuliani is a trader and a sell-out! He's willing to sell out his fan-dom and soul for Red Sox fans votes, what a schill (not schilling).

I'm a life-long Yankee fan and always will be, through good & bad. And will always want the worst for the Red Sox as they should for the Bx Bombers.

I'm not republican nor live in NY, but if I was I wouldn't vote for him. What will he flip-flop and sell out on next.

And you Red Sox fans, we Yankee fans have nothing to be jealous of. We have the championships, storied history, greatest historic players. Sox fans are the ones with the inferiority complex and cheer "Yankee's suck" over and over and labeled the Yanks the "evil empire" – grow up. You're good now, congrats, but it took over 80 years to win.

Yank & Sox fans (and New Yorkers & New Englanders) should not vote for Rudy just on principal. First he dogs his 1st wife, now this, what a bum!!

October 24, 2007 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  24. Travis - Fremont, CA

sorry, meant "Principle"

October 24, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  25. baseballnut

Im a big baseball fan ,and i played Baseball,I like the Detroit tigers,so am i going to support the red sox.no i will watch and not support either team may the best team win.you dont do that in BaseBall..flip flopper you lost your Yankee votes YIPPEEEEEEE..you just do not make it known you switched from NYC to Mass.you must have money on em.hes weird.

October 24, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |