October 24th, 2007
07:00 AM ET
7 years ago

Patrick, Obama hold endorsement rally in Boston

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) - Thousands of people turned out on the Boston Common Tuesday night to hear Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick endorse Sen. Barack Obama for president.

Patrick welcomed the Illinois Democrat to Red Sox Nation saying "around here we know how to come from behind and win and that is exactly what we are gathered here to help the senator do."

The Massachusetts governor, who was endorsed during his primary gubernatorial campaign by Obama and during his general election campaign by President and Sen. Clinton, explained why he is endorsing Obama.

"We don't just need a democrat, we need a leader," he said. "This election is not just about who we want but who we are. I want a president who understands that."

Obama took the stage and congratulated Red Sox fans but admitted he is a White Sox fan, saying "you don't want somebody who pretends to be a Red Sox fan to be president of the United States. You want a principled sports fan who stands by his team even when they are losing."

He also answered critics who say he has not been aggressive enough so far in his presidential campaign.

"Don’t underestimate those who are speaking softly but carrying a big stick," he said. "Because inside of me there is anger and frustration over what we have not done in this country. I don’t accept that in the wealthiest nation on earth we should still have 47 million people without health insurance."

– CNN Producer Fran Fifis


Filed under: Uncategorized
soundoff (56 Responses)
  1. Byron, Austin, TX

    10,000. Thats impressive. He had over 20,000 when he came through Austin. CNN didn't even report that one.

    See, its easier to omit news than report it. If you report, you might get it wrong...which is what happened here.

    CNN, quit your obvious endorsement of a Clinton vs Guiliani election. America doesn't want this. It'll be like the old Hydra analogy from Greek mythology. If you chop off one head, there's still another one that will bite you up.

    O'08!

    October 24, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. Brian, Austin TX

    "I can sit right here on my sofa and still vote for her." -RL Dallas, TX
    :D I think this idiot just proved the Obama supporters point. Hillary is just the media's favorite.

    (lol show up at the ballots)
    VOTE Obama '08

    We will see this January who's right.

    October 24, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. Uriew, CA

    RL from Dallas, TX. I am sure Hillary is proud to have couch-potatoes sitting on the sofa and voting for her without knowing why they are voting for her. I am sure you listen to CNN and FOX news on your sofa and are convinced that Hillary is your candidate. Unlike Obama supporters who actually go out there and listen to the actual candidate talk. The numbers at teh rally are a show of how many people are committed to hearing a candidate. Ask HRC to have a rally and maybe you will be lucky to have 500 people, 70% of them lobbyists and the other 30% who came thinking it was a Bill Clinton rally.

    October 24, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  4. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

    Oh,yea! Just watch what happens when the people rise up with pitch forks and thump the ground. Power to we the people! The grass roots gets greener and and greener
    spreading across the nation!

    10,000+ in Boston!

    20,000+ in Austin!

    25,000+ in NYC!

    No other candidate is creating anywhere
    near that kind of excitement for change
    on either side in this presidential election.

    I can see the fear in the Hillary camp
    and the republicans are very upset at the prospect of running against this kind of emotion and authentic natural leadership portrayed by the Obama
    ground swell!

    Vote for the smartest guy in the room!

    Baaarock the vote!

    October 25, 2007 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Tom Dedham, Mass

    As the great Maxwell Smart once said "CNN, missed it by that much"!

    October 25, 2007 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  6. jana, New york, New York

    People rise above it! we know the truth, we just need to spred it. be your own CNN inform your family your friends and they will know the truth.
    and o yeah by the way 10'000 souls

    October 25, 2007 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
1 2 3

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.