October 25th, 2007

Bloody-hands protester confronts Rice

Watch an anti-war protester confront Rice in a House hearing Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – An especially aggressive protester confronted Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Wednesday as she got set to testify before the House Foreign Relations Committee on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

A protester with blood-colored paint on her hands rushed toward Rice as she entered the hearing room, charging repeatedly that the Secretary of State was a "war criminal." The individual was later identified as Desiree Anita Ali-Fairooz.

Fairooz, a member of the anti-war group Code Pink, got within inches of Rice before security officials struggled to remove her from the hearing room. Rep. Tom Lantos, the chairman of the committee, repeatedly yelled, "Out!" as police forced Fairooz from the room.

Lantos ordered other members of Code Pink to be removed from the hearing as well.

The Capitol Police press office could not be reached for comment, but Reuters reports five people were arrested at the event, including Fairooz. She was charged with disorderly conduct and assault on a police officer, the news agency reports.

Related: The group behind those blood-colored hands

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Condoleezza Rice
  1. Chip Celina OH

There are a lot of posts here calling people war criminals. I would suggest that if it can be proven or you have evidence, bring it to your congressman or senator and have impeachment charges filed. Start a movement! I would expect with the hate that the Democrats have for this administration, they would have already done so if there indeed was evidence. Lack of their pursuit of this action indicates one of two things, 1) there isn't evidence of administration members being so-called war criminals; or 2) the Dems are complicit in these actions and don't want the house of cards to fall. Your choice, but I think a more civil tone will advance your agenda more than just making extreme allegations and pissing off half of the readers within the first five words of your statement.

Have a good day!

October 25, 2007 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. Matt Memphis, TN

To Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca – I see what you're saying. The crazy lady with blood on her hands made her statement. At least this is sparking dialogue. This is a good thing.

I still think the most important thing we can do as a country is get more people in office that aren't party affiliated. The most manipulative thing in politics today is to divide the masses into arguing their respective party lines. A Democrat talks and then a Republican bashes Hillary Clinton. A Republican talks and a Democrat bashes George W. This gets us nowhere. We need to stop looking at our differences and break the conditioning that has been instilled into us since birth so we can properly progress as a nation and as humans.

The Nazis aren't deep into Western Europe. Communism isn't making a comeback. War should have been the last thing we do. Heart Disease and Cancer kill more people than terrorism. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have a highly skilled and funded counter terrorism group... which we already have.

Iraq posed no threat to us and we were falsely led as a nation into invading. Why aren't more people upset with our politicians as a whole? If you don't think that these politicians are sitting around puffing cigars together and counting their respective millions, then you're nuts. They are almost all crooked. Take a look at their voting records. Find the ones that vote most against their party line, and I'll show you what is more than likely a good politician.

I apologize for getting off on a tangent, but that's essentially what we're all doing anyway.

October 25, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. joseph, austin, tx

Ben Lowsen, Monterey, California

have you seen the picture, this lady was within inches of Mrs.Rice. I dont know were you get your info from, but just because code pink said they werent within inches of her doesnt mean they arent lying. case in point LOOK AT THE PICTURE.

October 25, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. Mill, Philly PA

This forum is such a downer. This is what we call civil debate? I just waisted 30 minutes reading through the comments and found pretty much nothing but absolute trash. Here is a classic example of how seething anger breeds blind hatred. Prime plucking grounds for terrorist recruits? Oh right, this is America, not the UK.

I support many left wing ideologies, but the culture of hate, and culture of running up to high ranking officials like a 5 year old with painted hands threatening the security situation just makes it impossible to really participate in the debate.

October 25, 2007 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  5. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

Matt – Memphis, TN

You wrote, "Iraq posed no threat to us and we were falsely led as a nation into invading. Why aren't more people upset with our politicians as a whole? "

Matt, we can both agree on a couple points: 1) Republicans and Democrats make mistakes (individually and on policy matters), 2) Republicans and Democrats both desire for America to be a better place – it's the vision of "America" that differs between the parties, 3) Our politics have become so bitterly divided, reason has been lost.

This event (woman approaching Condi Rice) is the perfect example. Conservatives want this woman shackled in jail with duct-tape over her mouth. Liberals shout for joy over her actions.

The REASONABLE view is: this woman has every right to protest – to wear red paint – to call Condi a "murderer" – to condemn this administration. She doesn't have the right to get (literally) into Ms Rice's face nor disrupt a Congressional hearing. Suggesting her behavior was "brave" or some how honorable simply shows enraged liberals no longer care about the rule of law when it comes to making THEIR point.

So... getting back to "rational" views... WHAT should America have done after 9/11?

How should the War on Terrorism be prosecuted?

The "Clinton" approach of hands-off did not make us any safer. Some contend the Bush approach only creates more terrorists that didnt exist before.

What is the answer?

October 25, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. Ed, Dallas, TX

Rice is a murderer just like her boss, “The Great Divider”- Bush. This fear-mongering murderer lies and cheats the American public, all while attempting to re-write the constitution for his pure political gains. The same murderer who has sent over 3,000 of our citizens to an early grave because of his incompetence and sheer amusement.

October 25, 2007 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  7. Karen,nj

KEVIN..Your comment was dumb. Why don't you just go about your business and stop annoying the people at CNN..Got it Mr. Potato Head!

October 25, 2007 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  8. Matt, Harrisonburg, Va

I don't understand why so many people are saying that Bush lied when we went to war. Was the information that we used wrong? Maybe, but I surely don't think people lied about it. Maybe I’m being a little naive here, but what gain would they have? History will be the judge of this President and his administration. I just hope that we move in a different direction going forward. I am tired of all of this.

I am a person like many of you. I never put myself in harms way, in the line of fire, in an enemy war zone. But I live my comfortable life because of brave people like Jim who did do that. Jim put his life on the line. Looking back at history, liberals should be ashamed of themselves for the way they treated and currently treat our troops. I agree with our right to free speech, but I am embarrassed by what some of these people do and say.

God help us all.

Whats the gain for the Bush Administration? how about the nearly 500 billion dollars spent on the war in the past four years. that money goes to political supporters and even into their own pockets, as in the case with Dick Cheney. While I respect Jim for fighting in Vietnam, he did not fight for my right to protest. He fought for the US Government to maintain a presence in Southeast Asia, just as soldiers today fight for influence in the Middle East. The government has lied to us numerous times in the last 50 years. want a case in point? Gulf of Tolkien Resolution in 1964. Just think, without this war, we could have sent 22 million kids to college for four years...

October 25, 2007 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  9. Rick/Sneads Ferry, NC

"Hero – I never said I was a Republican and as far as me defending criminals — I'll tell you about me

I laid my life on the line defending you and the rest of this country for 30 years — I'm a retired Army Command Sergeant Major

I know about these scum protestors first hand..."

Posted By Jim, Columbus, GA : October 24, 2007 7:42 pm

Well, Hero Jim: Since your post was in response to mine, I have to tell you that I served in the same Army as you. And served honorably. I suppose if they let scum like me in, then it should come as no surprise that you also served.

Rick/Sneads Ferry, NC

October 25, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  10. Ann ME

Have you noticed the comments here from the Democrats are poorly written and appear to represent teenagers?

October 25, 2007 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  11. S, Orlando, FL

You war-supporting, Bush-loving morons are too much. You're a small minority of 24% who still like this crappy president and you dare call anyone else crazy or stupid? Give me a break.

October 25, 2007 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. Jim, Columbus, GA

First – I'm glad to take the hate comments from those that hate America and deflect them from our Brave active duty Soldiers – I'll answer a few:

HEY JIM!!!! who exactly were you defending us from in vietnam???? hm?? were they attacking us??? NO…and if you havent figured out that the vietnam war was a sham this long after it ended you are probably not very sharp!!!!!!

Posted By christian, selden, ny : October 24, 2007 8:24 pm

Read what I said Stupid selden – I spent 30 years defending brain dead sheep like you that are Free only by the efforts of Brave Men – Vietnam was just one of the operations I was in – I was Task Force Warrior Command Sergeant Major in Haiti when I retired
    ________________________
    Get it straight, liar, or shut the hell up.

Posted By Steve, Lyons, CO : October 24, 2007 11:03 pm

Stevie Boy – I've EARNED my right to free speech – and I don't lie – You just can't handle the truth can you Wildman?
    _____________________________________

To Jim in Columbus GA, thank God you're retired and not in command of American Soldiers anymore.

Posted By Pat Lambert : October 25, 2007 8:36 am

Pat – Ma'am I'm sure you'd never invite me or those like me to your Socials – But that's OK – I never asked you for anything Ma'am - but I did lay my life on the line for you and your family Freedoms for 30 years – I'm sorry if my frankness scared you – Soldiers that leap out of high performance aircraft in the middle of the night at low altitudes with an 80 pound ruck hanging and have to be prepared to shoot bad guys in the face with high caliber weapons at close range have to be hard to defend your way of life Ma'am
    ________________________________

Jim from Columbus Georgia, thank you for making me laugh today. It's the only reaction I can have to your foolishness.

Posted By jake (shelton, ct) : October 25, 2007 8:46 am

Jake – if it wasn't for Men like men Hero you'd be wearing an organge jump suit gurgling on your own blood as your throat is being cut
    __________________________________

Jim in Columbus, GA: I thought that the Amry tought people to be better than you are appearing in your comments. The fact that you call other American Citizens 'scum' is very un-patriotic to me.

Posted By Dan – Des Moines, IA : October 25, 2007 8:53 am

Dan – You're right "scum" is not a nice word - probably should have use "oxygen thives" I know this pond scum Dan – they are at the bottom of gene pool – Go to an "ANSWER" rally and you'll see what I mean
    _________________________________

I think that hand is supposed to be put on Bush's face, not Rice. .

Posted By nancy,baltimore,md : October 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Wrong Nancy – Not Bush – Bill Clinton – By refusing Task Force Ranger American Armor (Tanks and Bradleys) resulted in the the death of 18 Rangers in Somila- Watch "Blackhawk down" Canvas coverd Hummves don't stop bullets – when the Quick Reaction Force had to go in and extract them – Then he embolden the terriosts when he said "give us Durant (the captured pilot) and we'll go home" They said "Here's Durant... WE WIN" Clinton sent the Bad guys a clear message – kill some American's and they'll quit and go home – WRONG MESSAGE!
    ___________________________

Someting you Liberals need to understand – When I grew up the South was Democrate – with strong conservative beliefs like Zell Miller from GA – We didn't leave the party – you left us – You went to the Dark Side and are bought and paid for by George Soros – I'm not a Republican – I'm a Conservative Independent –

Rangers Lead The Way!
    Out

October 25, 2007 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  13. Paul C. Palmetto Bay, FL

If you can send thousands to die and be maimed in a senseless war you should certainly be able to take some criticism.

October 25, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. Richard Clark Burbank, CA

This person was right to have blood on her hands! The blood is from the millions of people that this individual and the rest of Code Pink could care less about, the dead in Darfor, in Lebenon, the millions killed in Cambodia and Vietnam and many other places. The blood is correctly on their hands and not those of Ms Rice.The question is will the rest of us let Code Pink and their supporters kill millions more in the middle east too?

October 25, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  15. Mary in Virginia

Rice and the red hand.
    Why doesn't that silly woman get a life? Connie Rice is the most exceptional woman of our time. Rice is an American doing what is best to save America. The Red hand. she cares for no one..only herself. So why isnt she doing charity work instead of being silly? Connie Rice is exceptional.

October 25, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  16. James, United States

Christian from Selden,
    Dont be busting someones chops over Vietnam. At least he answered the call to serve his country (even if he was drafted, he went). What makes you an expert on Foreign Policy any more than him? Is it living in Selden, NY, the center of philosophical and foreign affair expertise? I believe in Freedom of Speech and everyones right to speak their voice. But you fail to realize that we need sound arguments not demogagery for this situation.

There are many people that can identify problems, but few with real solutions. Be the great liberal that you say you are and believe everyone has a right to a voice and be respectful for their views. Dont be emotional, but respectful here to someone who actually did something important. Someone besides you, who just pays taxes.

Maybe, just maybe being emotional got America into some of the predicaments we are are facing today. We should, instead talk in a more socialized manner.

October 26, 2007 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  17. A, GA

First: Why do the people who oppose what Fairooz did continue to connect this extremism with the Democrats? I am rather certain that Senator Clinton or Speaker Pelosi do not endorse it, so therefore it is not a Democrat issue. Liberal/Conservative, Democrat/GOP is not all there is. We are one of the few countries that functions in a pure bi-partisan system. I think the strong division between parties is part of the root of America's problems: everything is black and white. Dem or GOP. Lib or Conservative. Third and fourth parties would save America more than one of these two could alone. That said, I am a Liberal Democrat, but I want more options.

Second: Everyone has the right to access members of government. No, a Congressional Committee session isn't the right place for a discusion, but it is an excellent place for a protest.

Third: Protests are legal. Fairooz and members of Code Pink are not terrorists, they are patriots. Desiring change and practicing any non-violent means to that end is the greatest freedom we have.

Fourth: CNN, like FOX, MSNBC, and the BBC, is too conservative. I want a news source with a liberal slant rather than varying degrees of conservative. (I appologize for the black and white wording) They cover protests like this and make anti-war sentiment seem trite and silly. they avoid coverage of what the majority of America wants in reference to the war, and then they do nothing to cover the radical christian right who regularly assault minorities, gays, and women.

Fifth: Celebrate the freedom we have. thank God we are still able to do this. Congress has gotten away with far too many walls between them and the rest of the nation.

Finally: I am a military officer, and in my opinion Iraq is certainly getting worse. The war was wrong, and it needs to stop. Code Pink IS supporting the troops by wanting to bring them back home, and most importantly, they are speaking out for the voiceless: the Iraqi civilians who have no voice as to whether America should leave or not. I was all over that country and I never spoke to an Iraqi who wanted us to stay, though the conservative news seems to be able to find them
    Oh, and if the Internation Court of Justice wants to try our top officials for war crimes then we should let them. The fate of people around the world is more important than our national sovereignty.

October 26, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  18. RAC, DC

should've tased the freak

October 26, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. Derek, Orlando FL

How can anyone say that liberals are becoming more outspoken and possibly moving toward violent tendancies without noting how extreme the far-right christian movement has become not just in America but abroad as well, forcing their ideals on people.

October 26, 2007 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. cindy punta gorda fl

People keep saying "Remember 911"
    I guess you all forgot. everyones talking about the war that we should be in....Well I remind you again...Remember 911.I remember on 9/12/2001 everyone said we should go over there and bomb them, People that's not the human thing to do. I don't like war, remember we didn't start it...war been going on from the being of time. Hilton stat in office for eight years don't you think he should have started peace treaty while in office. think about it!!!!...don't say anything just think!!

October 26, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. Earl, PA

To A, from GA who says he is a military OFFICER that served in Iraq.

Don't hide behind an initial, list your name,rank, and the unit you served in so your fellow soldiers can share their feelings with you.

October 28, 2007 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  22. "liberal" san luis obispo CA

good for fairooz – maybe someone will listen to her, my votes dont seem to have done anything. civil disobedience can be a viable means of forcing change. ghandi did it. i dont believe this woman had any intent to harm anyone – she just wanted someone to listen.

i love america, i LOVE our troops – they are my family, and friends. i am a "liberal," and i dont like roger moore.

patriotism is not a defense for any crime, or incompetence, and while we may be stuck in this war, we are not necessarily stuck with the fools that got us in it. government officials need to be held accountable for the decisions they make regardless of their intentions. good intentions, as they say, pave the road to hell.

October 28, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  23. James, Sadr City, Iraq.

"A TRUE PATRIOT"

Mark Twain once said: “The citizen who sees his society’s democratic clothes being worn out and does not cry out is not a patriot but a traitor.”

"WE THE PEOPLE"

Thomas Jefferson once said: “When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.”

ENOUGH SAID!

October 29, 2007 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  24. Ben, New Concord, Ohio

The only "war criminals" here are the people of Code Pink and all others like them.

Contrary to belief, there ARE some Iraqis GRATEFUL for the sacrifices borne by our troops. Click on the URL to see what I mean.

November 15, 2007 05:24 am at 5:24 am |