October 25th, 2007

Brownback meeting with Giuliani, but not ready to endorse

Brownback says he's "nowhere near" ready to make an endorsement.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Pro-choice Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani will ask for the endorsement of former presidential candidate Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, a fierce opponent of abortion, when the two meet later Thursday in Brownback’s Senate office.

Winning Brownback’s endorsement would be a boost to Giuliani’s efforts to court conservative voters but Brownback told CNN Thursday unless he can “influence” Giuliani’s “position to be pro-life” he’s not likely to back the former mayor.

“It would be really tough for me because I think that’ just the central issue of our time,” Brownback said.

Brownback said Giuliani’s “good on judges which is probably going to be the central life issue in the next administration” and suggested he liked his position on fiscal policy and the war on terrorism.

But “life is central, I mean we’ve got to get that right,” Brownback said.

Brownback has met or spoken with other GOP presidential candidates but hasn’t decided who he will endorse or when he might do it.

“I’m nowhere near making a decision,” he said.

Brownback formally announced his candidacy for president at the beginning of the year but dropped out of the race for the White House last week, citing a lack of fundraising. Brownback was in the low single digits in most national polls of Republican voters.

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani • Sam Brownback
  1. MediaJunkie, Washington, DC

Brownback isn't going to endorse anyone. If Giuliani maintains the lead, Brownback is going for a V.P. nod, which will also help Giuliani with pro-life voters.

October 25, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. Dr Atomic

Brownback, pictured describing Dolly Parton, added that he wasn't pro-Iraqi life, but just pro-American life.

October 25, 2007 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Joshua Udell Webb City, Mo

America are you ready?

Listen to the voice of God as He comes in into this house, as He sees judgments taking place in four cities in California, two of them are beginning and two of them will start soon. LA and San Francisco be ready! For the judgments on you are next!

God says, these are judgments to cleanse and to purify some things that have been done that are causing pain and anguish in this land. But God said today as He looked upon the land He said, will you not come up from the dust and fill your soul with My Spirit?

God said I looked upon a man today that was in charge of a great city, and while he was in charge he had success. And he wants to bring that success to the United States of America as a whole nation under the authority of the Presidency. And God said, will you not listen church, will you not listen America? That this is the man that I have appointed for you and in time you will see that he will be the one that is narrowed down to two. Between Romney, and Thompson listen to the secrets of God, do not vote simply on moral values because I tell you My man already has them! But look to who can at the core of issues at the nation as a whole who will protect this nation in grand leadership! For God said today there are issues concerning America and a whirlwind on its way that would stop anything from happening to this nation that is good.

And I tell you its one man versus one woman. This woman shall have pain come to her and sorrow, for she will be in a time of exhaustion, where she has worn down and worn out her funding! For the man that will be funded is a man that I have seen and looked upon and said, when you were speaking in 2004 for George W. Bush this was the day My servant said, I see In this man leadership for the Presidency of the United States of America after Bush departs from the White House. And I tell you since this day he has looked and searched and looked and searched, and the playing field will be drawn to two and that will be Hillary Clinton and Rudy Giuliani and God said today, America now is not the time to look to a candidate for a third party who will only take away votes from a man who is under My authority, under My instrument of ruling, under My instrument of success for this nation as a whole.

For he is not there to just change laws that are already in this nation, but is here to lower them and make them less! I am speaking about abortion, he says too the nation these things should be rare and in my heart I do not approve of them, but what I am doing to benefit this country shall be this, and I am not going to increase any of these things. For this is an issue between a mother and a father and the states need to know that the father has the right as well to have a voice in these decisions.

I will rise up other Conservatives in the Supreme Court and I will cause this nation to tremble and the ACLU shall freak! And they will shake and they will say this law has been here for the projection of women’s rights. God said did you not know that a judgment is coming upon the ACLU for I will strike them hard and the house where they reign shall be no more.

Look upon California and what do you see, Look to New Mexico and say can this happen here? Can this happen in Vegas? For the fires of heaven shall come down upon this city and the casino shall no longer have the rule, but the church will reign in Vegas!

For they will say in the winter, it will be warm in Canada and cold in America, and they will say, that this indeed a sign that Global Warming is happening but it is my Global Warning! Not only this, but the eruptions of volcanos and the earthquakes in the Midwest shall begin, says the Spirit.

October 25, 2007 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. Dave, Alpharetta, GA

And the GOP continues to sell out their principles for the sake of a vote. How these people can look at themselves in the mirror is amazing to me.

October 25, 2007 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  5. John Bennett, Kansas City, MO

Oh really Brownback...it's the central issue of our time? Then why didn't anyone give you money so you could address that issue? Because the catastrophe in Iraq is the central issue of our time.

October 25, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  6. Andrew, NJ

it'll be interesting to see if Brownback sells out to the guy whom he bashed for not being pro-life.

October 25, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Chris, Middletown, CT

I think if he really wanted to be calculating – the left will run Hillidiot (and even attempt to defend her against her agenda which is directly outlined by Saul Alinsky) – so...if they do that – then all the Republicans...all the unaffiliated...and 1/3 of the Democrats will vote for Giuliani anyway – I would steer clear of the right wing of the party – sending a clear message that moderate is where we need to be....

October 25, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. Ballbright

He needs to endorse Huckabee...

October 25, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. Jim Topeka, Kansas

Want a truly losing ticket, Brownback's endorsement or Brownback as VP and I can show you a losing ticket.

October 25, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. JC, Topeka, Kansas

A Brownback endorsement or VP choice and you have a losing ticket.

October 25, 2007 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. Justin, Lawrence, KS

For all our sake, someone needs to inform him that abortion is NOT the central issue of our time.

October 25, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Yasser F. Sanchez

He needs to endrose a candidate that can win over the conservatives and beat Hillary in 08.

This candidate is Mitt Romney. Romney has a solid record of defending the right to life and of good family values.

October 25, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  13. Sean, Bellevue, WA

That Brownback sees abortion issues the central issue of our time shows exactly why he is out of touch with people today. The majority of Americans are pro-choice. That doesn't mean you would do it yourself, or even that you think it is right, but that you approve of a woman's right to choose for herself. This shouldn't be an issue at all.

I think that Giuliani's ability to get past that is more than a little commendable.

October 25, 2007 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  14. Ballbright

Romney does not have a record defending the right to life!!!

The guy has flip flopped enough on abortion to embarrass John Kerry.

If I was forced to vote republican this dem would take Mike Huckabee, I'll most likely be voting Obama, however.

October 25, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  15. Peter,NYC,NY

Brownback or front endorses Obama

October 25, 2007 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  16. my911call, Wilmington, NC

Most of the country right now is moderate. Its the independent voters that is going to swing the election.
    The more right you go the less of a chance of winning. (backlash effect)
    A Brownback endorse would be fine. A Brownback VP would be suicide.
    Abortion is not the central issue of our time.

October 25, 2007 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  17. Deven, Austin TX

Please don't say Romney is pro-life. Look up Romney Kennedy on Youtube.

October 25, 2007 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  18. Abortion and war kills

Ron Paul is the answer Brownback is looking for. Dr Paul is the only true pro-life republican. He pro-life for the unborn and born.

All those other candidates flip more than the cards at the local casino.

October 25, 2007 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  19. Tommy Mn

He really needs to endorse Ron Paul. Dr Paul is pro-life and anti-war. Dr Paul won't be caught up in the corruption/hide it from the public game.

Mitt and Rudy represent another future full of investigations and backroom deals.

October 26, 2007 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  20. Karen,nj

I have no idea what this man is trying to say. He is just putting alot of words together and trying to bring meaning to them. I am so glad that he is out. If he is thinking about endorsing Rudy, then he wasn't that intelligent to start with.

October 26, 2007 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  21. Kevin, Portland

Yasser you have been mislead. According to http://www.romneyfacts.com -

Abortion rights

"I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose and am devoted and dedicated to honoring my word in that regard." – Boston Herald Debate, 10/29/02

"Roe v. Wade continues to work its destructive logic throughout our society This can't continue." – Speech to the Massachusetts Citizens For Life Mother's Day Pioneer Valley Dinner, 5/10/07

Now I could be wrong, but appears to be flip flopping on the issues, and not a "solid record."

Kevin

October 26, 2007 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  22. Tim, Minneapolis,MN

Brownback supporters would have no problem endorsing Ron Paul. He's pro-life too.

October 26, 2007 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  23. A conservative

Abortion the central issue of our time? I am a republican and consider myself to be pretty conservative, and I'll say that that is the most idiotic thing I've heard in a long time.

October 26, 2007 11:19 am at 11:19 am |