October 25th, 2007

Fires affect Romney family

Romney with wife Ann.

Manchester, New Hampshire (CNN) ­– Although former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney campaigned in New Hampshire Thursday, his thoughts were most certainly across the country.

Romney's second eldest son Matt is one of the evacuees of the California wildfires that have ravaged the southern part of the state for the past four days.

"My son and his family were mandatorily evacuated from their home," Romney said. "They've been in a hotel now for three days and I think this is their third day."

"Their home so far as we know is still fine but they're in Rancho Bernardo," Romney added. "Of course that was one of the areas very significantly hit and the local authorities asked them all to leave their homes, all on their neighborhood."

Romney also said that President Bush's visit to the state Thursday was an "important" step.

– CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Mitt Romney • New Hampshire
  1. Dave, Alpharetta, GA

Awwww... Let's send money to help the poor Romney family out during this terrible time.

I see a "I feel your pain" campaign from Mitt any day now.

October 25, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Beth, San Francisco CA

Mitt Romney is certainly presidential looking, but it's too bad such a handsome fellow couldn't find a better looking wife. She's hideous.

October 25, 2007 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  3. Karen,nj

BREAKING NEWS: Romney's family has to stay in a hotel while their house has not even been touched by the fire. How dreadful! I'm sure that all Americans will be following the Romney saga. Next news update on the Romney family at 11.

October 25, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. Daniel, NY

At least Romney has a good lead in the latest NH poll!

October 25, 2007 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  5. Tim, Ogden, UT

I am glad to hear Mitt's family is okay. Politics and difference aside, that is good to hear. I wonder why he is using this tradgedy as a pulpit for his campaing – sad...

October 25, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  6. John, Syracuse

Mitt Romney has no experience in geopolitical issues. He "really can't lay it out exactly", not because he isn't trying, it is because he simply does not know what to do. It is called a lack of experience geopolitically and militarily! May be he should ask his bishop for advice, or the Prophet of his church?

Pathetic that he is using the California tragedy to spring board his campaign!

On a side note, I am glad to hear his children are having room service while the rest of the California residents are sleeping on cots in the stadium!

October 25, 2007 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  7. summus

Was this one of the (8) Romney boys that was contributing to the war on terror by not going to Iraq?

In other news Romney says he wants to nuke Iran. I hope all those Iranians have a hotel to stay in!

October 26, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. Randy, Xenia, Ohio

I fail to see how others see this press conference quip as Gov. Romney using the fires as a "pulpit." What point or campaign platform is he trying to make? Those few sentences are not a "pulpit." He is just delivering the facts of how the fire is affecting his family, probably in response to a reporter's questions. I don't hear a "poor me" anywhere in this. What I DO hear is sarcasm, covetousness, and outright hatred on this comments page.

October 27, 2007 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  9. MIKE ADKINS,CHARLOTTE,NC

oh how terrible that a wealthy brat of a presidential candidate has to stay in a hotel. wonder how he'd adjust to a fema trailer? mitt's wife doesn't look bad and besides she might be a lot of fun when they romp in the hay. now you want an ugly no talent wife, look at camilla. prince charles must have been bombed out of his mind when he married that two bagger.

October 27, 2007 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  10. Just a Tip

Mrs. Romney..I don't know if it's the lighting, but your hair coloring is not very natural looking. I think that you should try another shade. I would go lighter and probably use a color with ash.

October 28, 2007 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. H. Tann

What a lot of snarky, mean-spirited comments! I have no doubt that if Obama or Clinton had family homes in the way of the fire you would be singing a different tune. Not to mention that personal attacks show lack of education and common decency and courtesy. All people deserve our sympathies when their lives are changed dramatically and their homes are in peril whether they have money or not. I would call that reverse snobbism. Thinking you are a much better person than someone with more money plainly shows you are wanting.

October 29, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |