October 25th, 2007

Sherriff poses with Thompson but chooses Romney

Hunter met with Thompson Tuesday but endorsed Romney two days later.

(CNN) – Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson got the photo op, but two days later a Florida sheriff endorsed his rival in the Republican presidential race.

Collier County Sheriff Don Hunter endorsed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney Thursday, the Romney campaign announced. Hunter, whose department has launched programs to crack down on illegal immigration, said that issue was the biggest factor in his decision.

“I had the opportunity to look at the records of other candidates, and it is clear that Gov. Romney is the candidate with the most impressive record of accomplishment in the public and private sectors, and the strongest record of enforcing our immigration laws," Hunter said in a statement.

The Romney campaign was quick to note Hunter appeared with Thompson at an event two days ago in Naples, where the Tennessee Republican outlined his immigration reform plans.

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Florida • Fred Thompson • Mitt Romney • Uncategorized
  1. Lars, DC

Go Romney 2008! Your the Best on the ballot.

October 25, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. a.anderson, albuquerque nm

this is no news. move on.

October 25, 2007 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Kim, Peabody MA

AMERICA WAKE UP !!

DO you want same results from what ROMNEY has accomplished in MASSACHUSETTS to happen to this NATION????

Every American MUST Read the TRUTH about MITT ROMNEY !!

We need a Real Leader like Pete Grasso for 2008.

October 25, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. Hooligan, Everywhere, America

Did he at least give Fred a "reach-around?!"

October 25, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Tom Dedham, Mass

Mr Hunter is a smart man.

Fred, wake up. I do hope he goes back to Law and order, he is great on it.

October 25, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  6. Travis

Go Romney!

October 25, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Ah good ol Sheriff Don Hunter, I lived in Naples for 14 years, it suprises me he picks Romney, Thompson is much better as a actor for sure though.

October 25, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. Jed

Congrats to Romney on a great asset! Don Hunter is neither the first nor the last to endorse this great candidate, but he could be one of the most important, as immigration is a big issue.

I don't know anyone better than Hunter to underscore the efficacy of Romney's immigration policy and record.

October 25, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. Karen,nj

Who cares who that dumb sheriff endorses all they do is drink beer and smoke cigars. People are tired of hearing who endorses who.

October 25, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Ballbright

Some Romney quotes on immigration:

"With these 11 million people [here illegally], let's have them registered, know who they are….those that are here paying taxes and not taking government benefits should begin a process towards application for citizenship." – Lowell Sun, 3/30/06

"One simple rule: no amnesty. If that [Kennedy-McCain bill] is not a form of amnesty, I don't know what is." – New York Times, 6/4/07

...are he and John Kerry related?

October 25, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  11. Ronnie, Lexington KY

Romney is the most intelligent candidate on either side, and the most qualified to be president on either side.

October 25, 2007 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. Mark, Harrisburg, PA

Hey Kim, why do you spread lies? A lie is any communication with the intent to deceive. And offering half truths to persuade others is wrong.

October 25, 2007 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  13. Lisla Lee, Dallas, TX

OUCH, Fred. That photo op ultimately didn't work out too well, did it.
    However, the real question is... why would I care a blue flip who some podunk sheriff "endorses"? That's like me caring who all the doh-doh celebrities endorse. I don't!!

October 25, 2007 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  14. David, USA

Yes, I would like to see more of what Mitt Romney did in Massachusetts to happen to America. Incidentally, most of what happened in Massachusetts that is bad was because of the Democrats serving in the House and Senate. I have read your MassResistance stuff and someone should check you people into the nearest psych unit.

October 26, 2007 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  15. Willie

Mass Resistance is a bunch of baloney. By the way, who is Pete Grasso? This Pete guy (your real leader) hardly has a shot at beating Hillary!

Mitt is the man. An increasing # of folks are lining up behind him.

October 26, 2007 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  16. John Smith, Naples, Florida

I live in Collier County and respect Sheriff Hunter's opinion a great deal. He also helped to reinforce my own opinion of Thompson: tired, OK actor supported by those who believe that somehow these hollywood actors are who they pretend they are on TV. I'll vote with Hunter on this one.

October 26, 2007 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  17. Braden, Montgomery, AL

Kim, Grasso? You're an idiot.

Romney's the only viable conservative candidate in this race. McCain can't win and Thompson is clueless as to how to run a national campaign.

This is a major blow to Fred Thompson. Oh well...

Mitt '08!

October 26, 2007 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  18. Charles, Salt Lake City, Utah

If Native Americans and Latinos vote for Romney, I wonder if God will turn their skin white as a reward, like the Book of Mormon promises? Go to any search engine and enter the words: Mormon, Indian, skin, white. If you're okay with the idea that God "curses" people with dark skin and "blesses" them with light skin, then Romney (who says he believes what the Book of Mormon teaches) would be your man.

Racism by any other name is still racism.

October 27, 2007 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. Lei Schmidt

I have always registered as a independent but this is the year to change. I have never felt so sure that I am a Democrate. I was so proud of all four delegates that we on CNN tonight. They are all truly to see four people who actually that are worth voting for. I was struck by the remark that Richardson said about what ever happened to the Democratic party that represented the middle class. Even though I am at the end stage of my life I hope for so much for my children, grandchildren and grategrandchilden. I would gladly pay higher taxes and change to a greener way of living. The middle class and the working middle class have certainly been ignored for the last eight years. God bless this country and the nicest thing that could happen would be bipartisan cooperation by the senate and the congress. I hope I live long enough to see something wonderful and see the country believe in the process again and see some statesmen instead of just not just politicians. I would like to see our soldiers come back from Iraq with honor not like Vietnam when we left with our tail between our legs. All those boys and girls didn't die for nothing......they love this country and so do I. Who ever wins needs to bring this country together......give us hope in democracy and get rid of the big lobbyists and. All we need is a cap on each candidate as to what can be spent. All the networks must give even time for each candidate without being reimbursed.

I just cannot figure who has the guts the tackle and make these things happen.

ABC and CNN should be congratulated.....gave us a good look at all the candidates.

Thanks