October 26th, 2007

Bill Clinton to heckler: 'Shut up'

Watch Bill Clinton respond to a heckler in Minneapolis.

(CNN) – Former president Bill Clinton took on a heckler in a recent speech in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The man stood up during Clinton’s speech and suggested that the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks had been an inside job, according to CNN affiliate KARE. “A fraud?,” Clinton responded. “No, it wasn’t a fraud, but I’ll be glad to talk to you if you’ll shut up and let me talk,” the former president added. Watch this clip to see the rest of Clinton’s encounter with the heckler.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Ken, Tucson, AZ

Do you find it interesting how fast one is removed from a room when questing a Liberal. It seams free speech is a one-way street, that runs in the direction for a Clinton….Do we really need four more years? Wake up America!!!

Posted By Gerald M, Toms River NJ : October 26, 2007 5:20 pm

At least the Clintons don't have hand-picked audiences. and, did you complain during the 90's when things were so uch better?

October 26, 2007 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  2. ronnie - knoxville, tn

what happened to free speech , BJ ?

October 27, 2007 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  3. ronnie - knoxville, tn

ha ha , bill is just cranky because he will be under the microscope for next (however many) years. he can't be a playa the way he wants to be

October 27, 2007 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  4. Jake, San Diego CA

I thought Bill did a good job as president, too bad his wife is nothing like him and I have no idea why people think that just because she's married to him that she will.

How many people are just like their spouses. I'd really like to know that, I doubt it's very many.

I just think it's funny how whenever it's advantageous for Hillary she'll use her husband, but whenever it isn't she'll try to separate herself from him. You can't have it both ways, either you're your own person or you're not pick one and stick with it.

October 27, 2007 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  5. Rick, Kansas City, MO

To the conspiracy theorists: Please tighten your aluminum foil hat, as secret messages from the CIA are beginning to penetrate your brain. Black helicopters are hunting you down right this minute. END TRANSMISSION

October 27, 2007 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  6. Colleen,ny

What is with Saul Alinsky. I only see causes in black or white. They say I see no gray matter. That was then and this is now.

October 27, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. UNKNOWN

Rick..look out your window..do you see black cars...are there any people in them..no,...then they must be surrounding your house.

October 27, 2007 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

He just stole of it from the recent video they have been showing of Regan doing the exact same thing.

I wish Bill Clinton would be the one to shut up and go away. I hated him 8 years ago, and I still hate him today.

October 27, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  9. T m

Billy C was such a great president. I am a typical American and too stupid to realize that he wasn't really impeached for perjury but for Chinagate. I almost figured it out, but the 5 owners of the mainstream media convinced me about right wing conspiracies and that the bush-clinton crime families weren't really working together in Mena, AK.

October 27, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  10. Joeley Reno, Nevada

The neo cons vet all of Bush's and Cheney's speaking events. If you're not a card carrying Repub, well, you'll never get into OR WITHIN SHOUTING DISTANCE of their speaking events.

Consequently, they never have to worry about this sort of disruptive behavior occuring at their speaking events.

Their vetting proces is probably a good thing. If a similar situation were to occur while George was giving a speech, security would take the heckler down in record time. The interloper would likely be labeled a national security threat or emeny combatant and sequestered at Gitmo for five or ten years, incommunacado.

Bill Clinton was a two term President and as such deserves some slack. I mean, put yourselves in his place.

Imagine you're trying to speak and you have some wing nut neo con (off their meds)going whacko in the audience. Shouting accusations and being totally rude and offensive. What would you do, invite them to the podium? I think not.

I think President Clinton was probably pissed, who wouldn't be.

The cool thing here is that there is no vetting before his, or Hillary's talks. If you're Repub, Dem or Independent, you can get in and listen, you're free to ask questions and be part of the conversation. That's the very American way.

I love that.

HILLARY'S GOT MY VOTE.

October 27, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  11. Kim. Dallas, TX

To those who think that the conspiracy theorists are nut cases, I completely understand. When I first heard about WTC building 7, I thought the same thing. I wanted to believe that what we were told by our government was the truth; how could anyone believe our country could be run by anyone that didn't care for the best welfare of it's population. I have since been reading quite a bit about 911 and have learned about operation northwood; as well as the Bojinka plot. Many nations warned the US that an attack was imminent at the beginning of September 2001 with WTC and Washington as targets. A few of those countries were, India, Russia, Germany, Italy, Israel. There is documented proof that the government received those messages. The scariest proof is the evidence of insider trading, put options put on United and American Airlines before the attacks; as well as many WTC tenants. It was known ahead of time and the trading was traced back to a former head of the CIA. And the Bush/Cheney whitehouse fought against a 911 commission to investigate. There are too many things that don't add up and I would like answers. I want to believe in my government. I loved the days of peaceful feelings and trust. I do fear this administration and what they are capable of. I don't know what happened on 911. I do believe that terrorists are capable of doing something of that magnitude to our country. I just wonder how involved our government could have been. Governments have been known to perform false flag operations to get the approval they want to further a pre-planned agenda.

As crazy as some people think, I for one, would like to know the truth. I see no harm in questioning and expecting answers.

October 28, 2007 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  12. Auriex, San Diego CA

So many comments...

1) Bill is not 'about to die', or even sick. It's crappy lighting coming down from directly overhead, and a cheap camera. Anyone would look bad.

2) Bill was not out of line (or even angry, he's just using a mi-cro-phone) in telling off the heckler. Bill (unlike many Democrats sadly) actually has a pair, and that's what a man does when someone interrupts his speech with a loud ignorant comment; he tells the person to shut the (flowers) up.

October 28, 2007 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  13. You won't win

Okay, you are good. The phone poll, that has been on the ID for months. Why are you after me? I don't think you are even that PEI, because that was to easy. You are playing head games with me. Who are you? Why would CNN let you. Maybe I"m not really on CNN. How do you know all this?

October 28, 2007 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  14. Unknown

Meks, George, Bugie, Rodney

October 28, 2007 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  15. Unknown

How can anyone know what you want if you won't tell them. I can't stand you. Like I said before. I have only one vote out of billions. How long has this been going on. Was there ever any real people way back then. You had better start answering my questions. I am not writing on any new tickers anymore because you disqust me.

October 28, 2007 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  16. Unknown

Mimes..I am going out for awhile. Now, I just want to tell you before I go out that I really don't like any candidate. They all are catering to different groups. I will vote for a Democrat because I will never vote Republican. Did you know that Lou Dobbs likes Duncan Hunter? That's because Lou is an Independent. I am having a little trouble concentrating right now because I can't sleep well with everything that is going on here, there and everywhere. I am disqusted!

October 28, 2007 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  17. Peter, Wausau, WI

I am NOT a fan of any Clintons... that being said, kudos to Bill for yelling at the protestors!

October 28, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  18. erika morgan black dimond wa

I have only seen the news coverage of Bill going after the heckler. The way Bill reacted was effective, but the passion in his remarks made me finally understand that the Clintons are indeed a part of the conspiracy with the Bushs to create the corptocracy that we find ourselves in. This is a very difficult conclusion for me to come to. I first encouraged Hillary to run after I saw the maturity with which she handled the press and the Star investigations, and heard her talking about her philosophies of life and government. Now I am disappointed.

October 28, 2007 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  19. Fred, New York, New York

Anyone who automatically dismisses 9/11 as an inside job – either doesn't have all the information or doesn't want to know all the information. What's more absurd? Certain high ranking officials of a dishonest, corrupt and incompetent administration coordinating an attack with the use of unmanned planes ripe with unanswered questions, cover-ups and down-right silly official explanations – or a sophisicated attack by student pilots; who were able to maneuver humongous 757's like they were toy planes(see the official report on the Pentagon attack). Make a decision based on collecting information and then making your own decision – opposed to letting something else pound a message into your head until you've heard so many times – you believe it.

October 28, 2007 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  20. Brahm Nirgunarthy, , New Jersey

Democracy has to civic. Not a license to talk rubbish. Democracy should not tolerate hooligans. I applaud President Clinton the way he expressed. Way to go ! We remeber Ronald Reagan saying the same in one of the speeches to a heckler.We applauded then and we applaud it now !
    Brahm Nirgunarthy

November 12, 2007 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  21. Tom Patterson, Dalton, GA

It was probably a "vast right wing conspiracy"

December 19, 2007 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  22. ralph carter

I have been a life-long Democrat. I was happy to see Sen. Hillary Clinton announce for the presidency. I have been satisfied with her campaign, for the most part. I have, however, become disenchanted with the interjection of Bill Clinton as the attacker of the other candidates for Hillary. How does Bill Clinton become the poster child for veracity? This is a man who disgraced the presidency by looking into the television camera and denying the charges that were levied against him concerning his discretionary faux pax, which he later had to recant. This was not a minor slip of the memory. This was an intentional lie told to the entire nation on national television. I am disappointed to see the former President of the United States risking himself and his reputation to engage in the negative and often untrue comments he's made against Sen. Obama. The devisive commentary in which Pres. Clinton is engaging will devide the party and only provide fodder for the Republican candidates. Sen. Obama is the candidate who is attempting to put forth a message of concilliation. Therefore, I'm regretfully changing my vote form Sen. Clinton to Sen. Obama.

January 21, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |