October 26th, 2007
5 months ago

Brownback 'more comfortable' with Giuliani's abortion position

Brownback met with Giuliani Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, said Thursday he is "much more comfortable" with Rudy Giuliani's position on abortion after discussing the issue with the former New York City mayor earlier in the day.

"I understand the mayor’s position," Brownback said after meeting with the Republican presidential frontrunner. “Whether it’s funding [or] appointments on the court, I’m much more comfortable with that.”

Brownback even said “pro-choice” might be the wrong label for Giuliani’s position on the issue. “I don’t know," said the Kansas senator, "if he’d describe himself as a pro-choice mayor or a pro-choice candidate.”

“I oppose abortion,” Giuliani told reporters staked out in front of Brownback’s Senate office following the meeting. “I’d like to see a society in which there’s not abortion. I think you have to get there by changing people’s hearts and minds. I’m not in favor of changing the law and the right that presently exists.”

Both men said they support appointing conservative justices to the Supreme Court in the mold of Chief Justice John Roberts and Associate Justice Sam Alito.

“Frankly,” Giuliani said, “I think if there’s a Republican president, we’re going to be looking at the same group of five to ten possibilities…. and the real determination will be who we can get through.”

“I think that’s a very, very different future for this country than Hillary Clinton, who would appoint judges who I think would be liberal activists' judges,” Giuliani added.

Brownback, who abandoned his own presidential bid last week, has yet to endorse a candidate for president.

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani • Sam Brownback
  1. Dave, Atlanta, GA

Heh heh heh
    Sounds like the man of the religious right is carefully setting himself up to back the man who he believes may win the nomination.

October 26, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. Martin, Miami FL

Sam Brownback: American Loser.

October 26, 2007 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  3. pat huntington ny

I say Abortions for ALL! We should have a national abortion day where anyone who wants one can get one for free even if they're not preggo! My only sadness being male is that I cannot experience the joy that is of having an abortion...

Abortion is murder!

October 26, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. Steve, Lyons, CO

That's Giuliani for you: too much of a coward to take a clean line on abortion.

That's the Republicans for you: too cowardly to condemn a pro-choice Republican candidate.

October 26, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. Meredith S, Texas

In response to Pat Huntington:

National Abortion Day? This isn't a joke or something to mock. This is a serious issue, and if you truly believe this is murder, why are you joking about it? Your cynicism just represents a lack of respect to women and the idea of being a secular nation.

I don't mind Republicans – I mind ignorance, which you, sir, display quite well. If you want to have a real discussion, then fine, let's have a real discussion. Otherwise, don't bother everyone else with your propaganda.

Note: There is a reason it is pro-CHOICE and not pro-ABORTION. No one likes abortions. No one thinks "Oh boy, an abortion!" Please, learn the real issue.

October 26, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

This is what I don't understand about republicans and the religious right. I am a Roman Catholic, I have children, I spend time with them, I raise them the best I can, we go to church, my children attend bible study and I have what I would believe to be "good values" I'm no better than anyone else that works and struggles to make a better living for my family. but I do not agree with the role of government of telling a 15 year old with no prospect, money (or attitude for that matter) that they will go to jail for having an abortion. we will make them illegal, but we will not be able to stop them, because people if desperate enough will get one, Also I do not agree that a mother and a doctor will not be able to make a decision when the mother's life is also in danger, so you are going to make that an Illegal act? I believe in education and in the government spending time and effort helping families and providing alternatives. the sanctity of life is something that we should all want and appreciate, but I don't believe that a governement mandate is what's going to help us get there.

October 26, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  7. summus

It's scary to think that we are becoming a Christian version of Iran. The idea of the least educated and most superstitous among us being able to enslave the rest of us and force us to live based upon biblical precepts is chilling. The Middle East was once one of the most intellectual places on the face of the Earth until it became enslaved by the rule of Mohammad and the Muslims. Are we really going to let that happen here? Are we really going to let personal freedom to control our own bodies and the pursuit of knowledge be destroyed by these idiots that are too lazy to go beyond reading one book. Revelation based religions give power to the intellectually weak who feel compelled to destroy everything within their path.

October 26, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

Please Rudy, please can I be your vice-president?

October 26, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  9. Mike, Palo Alto, CA

You have to be impressed with the way that Rudy is having it both ways on the abortion issue. He gets 'credit' for being pro-choice while assuring the American Taliban (that would be the Religious Right) that he will appoint "strict constructionist" judges, a code word for judges who will reverse Roe v. Wade. It should be clear to all as the GOP candidate all bow down to the American Taliban (we should use this ... it fits) that the abortion issue is all about religion, and the efforts of some to impose their religious belefs on all. The main difference between our extremists and those in the Middle East is that ours don't use bombs ... at least not yet.

October 26, 2007 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  10. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I'm not for abortion but I sure wish a man could birth a child, then maybe his opinion would matter to me.

October 26, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  11. Moe, NY

Oh yes...American women really want these two Republican MEN making a decision for them on abortion. News flash....American women can make their own intelligent decisions regarding their right to bear children...or not! These Republican conservative idiots will return women to the days of coat hangers.

October 27, 2007 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  12. Dave, Atlanta, GA

Brownback must be more gullible than I previously thought. Either that or he's getting some kind of kick-back for stopping short of endorsing Giuliani.
    I find it interesting that Brownback thinks the abortion issue is the most pressing issue in America, yet he says something rediculous like "I don't know if he’d describe himself as a pro-choice mayor or a pro-choice candidate" I get it now Sam. That means you can pick and choose your positions based on how the winds are changing. It doesn't matter if you believe in something, just as long as you believe in it when its most advantageous for you to do so. Thanks for pointing out how rotten politicians are, and for living up to that standard yourself.

October 28, 2007 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. AJ; Montpelier, VT

Who cares what Brownback thinks? Given his popularity in the Presidential race, I'd say not too many people. He didnt even make it to the first primary. What a deluded windbag.

October 29, 2007 08:21 am at 8:21 am |