October 26th, 2007
3 months ago

Brownback 'more comfortable' with Giuliani's abortion position

Brownback met with Giuliani Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, said Thursday he is "much more comfortable" with Rudy Giuliani's position on abortion after discussing the issue with the former New York City mayor earlier in the day.

"I understand the mayor’s position," Brownback said after meeting with the Republican presidential frontrunner. “Whether it’s funding [or] appointments on the court, I’m much more comfortable with that.”

Brownback even said “pro-choice” might be the wrong label for Giuliani’s position on the issue. “I don’t know," said the Kansas senator, "if he’d describe himself as a pro-choice mayor or a pro-choice candidate.”

“I oppose abortion,” Giuliani told reporters staked out in front of Brownback’s Senate office following the meeting. “I’d like to see a society in which there’s not abortion. I think you have to get there by changing people’s hearts and minds. I’m not in favor of changing the law and the right that presently exists.”

Both men said they support appointing conservative justices to the Supreme Court in the mold of Chief Justice John Roberts and Associate Justice Sam Alito.

“Frankly,” Giuliani said, “I think if there’s a Republican president, we’re going to be looking at the same group of five to ten possibilities…. and the real determination will be who we can get through.”

“I think that’s a very, very different future for this country than Hillary Clinton, who would appoint judges who I think would be liberal activists' judges,” Giuliani added.

Brownback, who abandoned his own presidential bid last week, has yet to endorse a candidate for president.

– CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani • Sam Brownback
  1. Juan Frei

This is exciting. I think Giuliani’s position could really set off a new movement within American politics, where the religious aspects of republican candidates are played down. What ever happened to mere individualism and free-markets as the main issues. Who cares about abortion or homosexuality. People should be free, and free to succeed, not held down by a government that imposes its will on the minority. I believe in neither the government nor big-business, I believe in the individual.

October 25, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  2. Kim, Peabody MA

I'm sorry, tearing a child from the womb of her mother is NOT a Good Choice.

Contributing to an "Abortion on Demand" policy within this Nation is NOT a Good Choice.

Providing "Planned Parenthood" with over $300M in tax payers money is NOT a Good Choice.

I find it amazing that these same Politicians can be So Appalled by Dog Fighting but give no thought about protecting the Unborn.

Check out the Article by Pete Grasso: http://www.grassoforpresident.com/site/Viewer.aspx?iid=11122&mname=Article&rpid=3861

We need a real defender of the unborn! Vote Pete Grasso in 2008.

October 25, 2007 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  3. Mike, Omaha, NE

How is this different than the pro-choice position? People who are pro-choice do not like abortions, but think society should be working towards less abortions by urging safe and smart choices rather than changing laws. I am thinking Brownback is holding a double standard here...

October 25, 2007 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  4. Chris, FL

You're just sold out now. You aren't even in the race anymore, why are you chimming in.

Now I have really lost respect for you. Was it you or Huckabee that was a minister?

October 25, 2007 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  5. Tom, Anaheim, CA

Yo Sam, your out of the race and continue to be irrelevant. Please go away and stop trying to be a king maker.

October 25, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. Dustin Jones, Fort Wayne, Indiana

So based on that logic, someone could say: "I oppose cannibalism. I'd like to see a society in which there's not cannibalism. I think you have to get there by changing people's hearts and minds. I'm not in favor of changing the law and the right that presently exists."

October 25, 2007 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  7. Andrew, NJ

Sellout...I guess he was promised VP spot or some position in the cabinet

October 25, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  8. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Sounds like this heartland loser is spinning his views on the only candidate in his party who has a chance to beat the "evitable" Shrillary.

October 25, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  9. Mike, Michigan

Who cares what Brownback thinks? Wait, who is Brownback?

October 25, 2007 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  10. Daniel, NY

There have been other indications that Rudy is doing better with the Right lately, for example conservative leader Tony Perkins's comments after Giuliani's speech at the FRC last week.

October 25, 2007 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  11. John, NY

I'm not sure why Brownback is even listening to candidates that are iffy on abortion. The true republican that is pro-life and anti-abortion is Ron Paul. He should put his convictions to action and endorse Ron Paul.

October 26, 2007 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  12. Bob, SI, NY

Are you kidding me??? Rudy is PRO-CHOICE and believes in federal funding for abortions. If Brownback endorses Rudy we know the fix is in for sure.

October 26, 2007 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  13. Karen,nj

Rudy opposes abortion now. I think that he is becoming senile. I am a firm believer in Roe vs Wade. The law came into effect for a reason, now leave it the way it is.

October 26, 2007 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  14. NS, New York

Looks like somebody is angling for a VP nomination.

October 26, 2007 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  15. Kate, Aurora CO

I still chuckle about MEN discussing abortion. They speak about it as if women are just lining up, waiting for the opportunity to do it. They all say the same thing, r"espect life" but if that life happens to commmit a crime 19 years later, they will gladly flip the switch. What happpened to your compassion then? your love for life? If these men succeed in banning abortion where do the 13 year old rape victims go? where do the victims of incest go? where to the homeless crack addicts go? Our male politians are so quick to judge but not so quick to offer help.

October 26, 2007 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  16. Wallace, Chicago IL

Now all of a sudden Brownback is "more comfortable" with his position. This is amazing to me.

A staunch, evangelical pro-lifer is now "more comfortable" with Giuliani's response. Politicians make me so uncomfortable. This is not about picking sides, Republican or Democrat.

How can you 'feel comfortable' with someone changing their entire stance overnight because they need votes?

Wallace

October 26, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  17. Tim, Minneapolis,MN

He ought to endorse Ron Paul, he's anti-abortion too.

October 26, 2007 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. Chris, Middletown, CT

Abortions should be legal
    The Government should NOT fund them
    Next year – we will have a President who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal....Giuliani....finally

October 26, 2007 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Ben, San Diego CA

WOW!!! So what do you stand on??? Is it worth it to abandon your core beliefs for power? If Rudy wins the nomination I do not want to hear any attacks directed to the left that pertain to life, because it is apparent that it does not matter.

October 26, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  20. Wayne, Greenville TX

Another reason why the only way people like this should be in the White House is as tourists taking the White House Tour.

October 26, 2007 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  21. Pickles, Monaca, PA

Brownback: Little Johnny-One-Note. Blah, blah, blah.

October 26, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  22. Michael Torrance, CA

I would hope the right answer is: If you don't like abortion then don't have one. For those that do want to have one, go right ahead and exercise your right and have one. Do so, without any outside interference from the Christian moral minority.

October 26, 2007 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  23. GB Dallas, TX

Why is every judge that neo-con conservatives dont agree with an activist judge?

This country is so screwed if Giuliani, by some unimaginable loss of reason and sense of the American people, happens to get elected.

October 26, 2007 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. roger,conway sc

Perhaps Brownback is looking for the #2 spot....Otherwise Brownback is far too conservative for Giuliani but he could help balance out the GOP ticket...they are both hypocrites...

October 26, 2007 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  25. Dave, Alpharetta, GA

I love watching a has-been sell his soul and principles for the sake of an election.

Expect the Family Values organizations to do the same shortly. And these people claim to be a part of principles?

I wonder why they lost in 2006? Do you recall?

October 26, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |