October 26th, 2007

Clinton throws glitzy $1M birthday bash

Watch highlights from Clinton's birthday bash Thursday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Some people may be wary of turning 60 years old, but judging by Hillary Clinton’s star-studded birthday party, the Democratic presidential frontrunner is embracing the milestone with open arms.

Rocker Elvis Costello, musical band The Wallflowers, and comedian Billy Crystal headlined Clinton's birthday bash Thursday night in New York's Beacon Theater. (Watch Elvis Costello sing Happy Birthday)

Former President Bill Clinton and daughter Chelsea were there, as was New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, New York Sen. Chuck Schumer and New York Rep. Charlie Rangel. (Related: Rangel: Giuliani 'embarrasses us')

Clinton’s actual birthday is Friday.

The former president introduced his wife on stage, declaring, "she still looks very beautiful."

The presidential candidate entered the room to loud cheers and said, "I feel very blessed, especially tonight, to be here with my family…and all of you, who I consider a big extended family." (Video: CNN's Candy Crowley takes a look at what Clinton is celebrating this year.)

She also took the opportunity to take a dig at former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani - the longtime New York Yankee fan who earlier this week said he was backing the Boston Red Sox in the World Series because he is a fan of the American League.

"I have been a fan, and I remain a fan of the New York Yankees," Clinton said to cheers. "No changes, no looking to curry favor with anyone else."

The event doubled as a $1.5 million fundraising haul with the most expensive tickets going for the Federal Election Commission maximum of $2,300. The show's "cheap seats" in the balcony cost $100.

Clinton's event Thursday night was the second birthday/fundraiser she has thrown this week. On Sunday, Hollywood director Rob Reiner threw Clinton a lavish party at his home in Los Angeles and even sang "Happy Birthday, Mrs. President."

But Democrats aren't the only ones noting Clinton's 60th birthday.

Republican National Committee spokesman Brian Walton said Thursday, "Hillary Clinton has a long wish list for her birthday, from Washington-controlled retirement plans and government-run health care to tax increases left and right, and all the while the American taxpayers are only wishing they won’t have to pay for her $750 billion in additional spending."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Rudy Giuliani
  1. CMS, CA

What a womanizing, backhanded compliment to millions of women. Might as well said, "Old bats arent sexy."

October 27, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. Colleen,ny

Saul Alinsky organized all those different groups of ethnic people including mobsters during the depression. I must give credit where credit is do. But, the Catholic church. I like organization, Virgo's are that. I can read you know when people aren't bombarding me with too much info at one time.

October 27, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. pam Eugene OR

Sorry folks. I am in complete agreement with Laura in Tulsa. I also belive that many others are. It is just that CNN is taking down our posts. I do not support Hillary and never will. She is not "Our Royal Family", our Queen or even fit to lead this nation. Those posts make me want to puke. You Hill supporters are so blind. I will vote for Obama, Edwards or anyone whose last name is not Clinton. I want change!
    BTW Laura has as much right as anyone else to state her opinion on this blog. Just because some of us do not kneel before the Clintons that does not mean we don't have a right to our opinion.

October 27, 2007 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  4. Colleen,ny

Pam..You are the blind one as seen with your stupid choices for the presidency. Americans are not looking for a Queen or a King. We are looking for a leader who can put country back together again. Republicans are the blind ones who are nothing but followers and can NOT think for themselves just like you. You are a very shallow person!

October 27, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Joeley Reno, Nevada

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY SENATOR CLINTON.

YOU'VE GOT MY VOTE.

October 27, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SEN. HILLARY CLINTON!
    You've got my vote.
    I wish to see your 62nd Birthday at
    White House.
    YOU'VE GOT MY VOTE 2012.
    I would like to see you and your family on TV rest of my life.

October 28, 2007 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  7. Ann Jones

Hillary Clinton is obviously interested in power for herself only She is not concerned with the average American, as indicated by the people she invited to her party. She wants to be President so that she can exclude the average American from such birthday parties and similar events while she hobnobs at taxpayers expense with the so-called rich and famous. She knew full well that the people that she wants to vote for her could not afford to spend $2,300 to attend her birthday party, yet that is what you had to pay to attend. Why did she have to spend one million dollars on a birthday party when she could have used that money to help the people that she supposedly wants to represent? What a hypocrite!

October 28, 2007 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. Tom Dedham, Mass

Posted By Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky : October 28, 2007 8:36 am

Do tell us "kyu", why she is so great and wonderful and why you want her on TV and you will vote for her in 2008 and 2012.

Please help me, I am undecided on who to vote for and your brilliance on her greatness will help me along.

Please enlighten us with some facts and reasoning.

October 28, 2007 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. Brandi

Hillary made her own life miserable by marrying an Irish guy. That is just as stupid as marrying an Italian. Hopefully, after she becomes president she'll wake up and get rid of him. He is an anchor around her neck.

October 29, 2007 07:08 am at 7:08 am |