October 26th, 2007

Obama, Clinton on the air in South Carolina ... on a Jumbotron

The Obama and Clinton campaigns will TV ads at a South Carolina college football game.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign will air its first television ads in South Carolina this weekend - on a football stadium Jumbotron.

The Illinois Democrat's campaign will run two TV ads on the Jumbotron at Oliver C. Dawson Stadium in Orangeburg on Saturday during South Carolina State University's homecoming football game against Delaware State. South Carolina State is the state's oldest and largest historically black university.

The campaign will run two upbeat ads. One ad, entitled "What If?," has already run in Iowa. The other, called "Join Us," was made by the campaign for the CNN/YouTube Debate in July.

Dawson Stadium seats 22,000 people. The SCSU sports information office told CNN the game is not yet sold out.

No Democratic presidential candidate has run a television ad in South Carolina. Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, have both run radio ads here.

UPDATE: The Clinton campaign tells CNN they will also be running an ad on the South Carolina State Jumbotron. Their ad, "Stand By Us," has already run in Iowa and New Hampshire.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

1. MM Smith

How could FEMA Fake such a stage conference out of people misery?

October 26, 2007 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  2. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

I've lost alot of respect for Obama because of his hypocrisy. He didn't even have the guts to cast a vote regarding sanctions for Iran, but he is criticizing the way Clinton voted. You're being very disingeuous, senator. I expected more from you.

October 26, 2007 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  3. Lyn

Oh Mark ...shut up. Why don't you try explaining what your candidate did? As always was she waiting for Barack to vote so she would know how she should vote? Is that why is is mad that he wasn't there? She had to make adecision on her own/ As usual the wrong one.

October 26, 2007 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. june

Mark still doesn't explain why she voted for it......

October 26, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  5. RuthieM

Fantastic!

October 26, 2007 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. Bernard, Scotch Plains NJ

Give me a break for the "Obama didn't vote for Iran mess" already, we all know he was told that there was not going to be a vote, then last minute Harry Reid called a vote that night, get your facts right please. Oh yeah and Harry Reid's son works for the Clinton Campaign.

October 26, 2007 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. Julia,baltimore,md

I have gotten so much Interest in Senator Barack Obama. He is so clear with his message and what he will do as a president. I have liked the way he critices Clinton because she has voted for the war. Millions have died be it Americans or Iraqs and based on that I can not wait for him to be my president!

October 26, 2007 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. James Navaro Detroit Michigan

"The SCSU sports information office told CNN the game is not yet sold out"

What is that supposed to mean?

Come on now, why does any coverage on Obama have to be so pejorative sarcastic?

You spent a whole day recycling the story about Obama's gospel concert tour and never mentioned even once that Hilalry Clinton is currently staffing and being endorsed by gay bashers.

I mean Come on! If Clinton was the first to do this, you would have crowned her a front-whatever, Give this man a break.

You see folks what I mean by CNN being a distraction? They made us all subscribe to the war in Iraq and now they're trying to promote the establishement candidate also known as Clinton, when will anyone notice this?

October 26, 2007 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. Cheryl des moines iowa

what political figure does not have at least some aspect of hypocrisy about them....

October 26, 2007 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  10. Maria, Houston

Mark, Fort Lauderdale,

The web is full of information why Obama did not/ could not vote on Iran. You are either ignorant or you're a Clinton supporter trying to smear Obama with cheap shots. Either way I don't believe that you've ever really supported Obama, your outrage if fake and that makes you a hypocrit yourself.
    Clinton camp talking about hypocricy, LOL...

October 26, 2007 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. Eman

Posted By Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL : October 26, 2007 5:59 pm

If you were an informed voter you won't state that nonsense you just did. Read real news and stop rellying of your dreams. You are the hypocrate.

The issue here is this. Is it right to give George Bush a blank check to attack Iran? More so even if Obama was in the senate to vote he has said his vote would have been a big fat NEA/NO. It was not a close vote either.

You can't loose something you never had. Your respect for Sen. Obama is fake because you don't even know where he stands on the issues. Go do your home work or have your son do it for you.

October 26, 2007 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  12. Give Peace a Chance

Mark from Ft. Lauderdale must live in a cave.

October 26, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  13. jane,ks,mo

I have gained so much interest in Obama after following his speeches and the layout of what he's gonna do as my president. Can not wait

October 26, 2007 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. teddy orlando fl

Barrack Obama is the best hope for amaerica he represent real change and me and my family believe in him. I cannot belive others like us are out there and are willing to turn a blind out to a man like him he represents a great number of things to america and i am again disappointed in other like me who are suporting hillary clinton I wish i could sit them down and tell them he brings a number of great things to america and to the american people

October 26, 2007 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  15. Isaac of Chicago

To Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

It's a shame that you didn't take the time to inform yourself before you posted. Sen Reid call off the vote and called it a day, when the were sure that Obama was in NH, the vote was called.

Note: Sen Reid's son is Hillary Clintons campaign chairman in Nevada, talk about dirty tricks, the Clintons know them all and stand ready to use them. She is deliberately involving herself in a Big Lie. Can we say 'Swift Boat'...... hmmmmm

October 26, 2007 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  16. Biggdawg, Chicago, Illinois

Mark, you're spot on. He didn't oppose the measure. He weaseled out, pure and simple. He's a hypocrit with a capital "H".

And sorry Obama bloggers. Until he himself cries foul and claims Reid screwed him, your assertions to that effect are nothing more than baseless, desparate internet rumors that the rest of us ain't buying for one minute.

I mean give me a break Bernard in Scotch Plains: We all don't know he was told there not going to be a vote, because it didn't go down that way. You can fan the flames of that false accusation on all the blogs in the world, the fact of the matter is his so-called "rapid response" team has yet to make so much as a peep towards that allegation. So it must not be true.

As to what explains Hillary's vote, I think she - AND FELLOW ILLINOIS SENATOR AND CLOSE OBAMA ALLY DICK DURBIN - made it painfully clear: To put us on the road to sanctions, not war. Durbin voted against going into Iraq, which makes his support of the Iran measure all the more likely to be just what he and Hillary say it is.

Not that it matters, since all these radical Obama jihadist bloggers never seem to let the facts get in the way of their truth.

October 26, 2007 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  17. Mark Billingsley

What the hell does the stadium not being sold out have to do with Obama's ad? How does this add context to the story? Hey guess what, Hillary appeared at a fund raiser in a 2,000-seat auditorium yesterday. Guess what? Let's just say the fire marshal wasn't exactly nervous about overcrowding. That's just as noteworthy as SCSU said it's game isn't sold out. If you really wanted to go that route then add a sentence that explains that SCSU is only 4-3 this season and that's why ticket sales may be a bit slow. Clinton News Network working hard for Hillary again. How about another Vinod Gupta poll? I haven't seen his handiwork on your site in, oh, about 30 seconds.

October 26, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  18. Mitty, Miami Gardens, Florida

Mark, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, you were never for Obama at all. Are you that weak to give up because of inaccurate information.
    Obama 08!

October 26, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  19. Laura -Tulsa OK

Thanks to Mark for pointing out that Obama did not vote in the 'sanction Iran' issue. Well, what kind of leader is that? It appears he avoids tough situations and conflicts. I'd really like to see this question posed to him at a debate.

October 26, 2007 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  20. ronnie - knoxville, tn.

People get so emotional about elections, as if their happiness depends on their choice being elected.

Memo to everyone: the government is NOT going to make you happy. You might get a benefit such as state-provided shots or mental health care, but it will be sub-par. You might get 'revenge' on George Bush for finally having your choice selected as President (yes, Im assuming a Hillary win here because a lot of stupid people are going to hit the polls) ;but back on point, you will still have to strive for your own success, follow your own heart, work harder (or work smarter, as I do).

But the government is the least likely entity to bring you happiness and satisfaction. Most people can't even get another person, a soul mate to offer them happiness; I don't think the federal gov't is going to be your panacea. Just relax and feel confident in your vote, vote your conscience and let it ride.

October 26, 2007 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  21. CEB

Barack Obama- Bigger than life on AND off the jumbotron screen.

October 26, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  22. PeaceonU

Please Bernard and all the Obama backers, even if Obama did in fact casted a NO vote He is still confused. Why? Because you don't say no for labeling the Iranian Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization and then be ok for sanctions imposed by the Bush camp. Yes Obama did in fact said :“It is important to have tough sanctions on Iran, particularly on the Iranian Revolutionary Guard which supports terrorism. But these sanctions must not be linked to any attempt to keep our troops in Iraq, or to take military action against Iran,". Hillary vote wasn't to keep the troops in Iraq or for a milatary action against Iran. So I don't see why you guys are so blind to see that Obama is not ready. By the way Biden and other presidential candidates as Senators did vote. I don't think they worked for Hillary. Done my homework!
    Peace!

October 27, 2007 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  23. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

I was just discussing the latest polls
    with my wife and it appears that Hillary is rising and I must admit am depressed about it. I thought that America would take a chance on real and creative change.

I admire Barak"s courage and decent approach to the ugliness of political campaigning.

My heart goes out to the Obama family
    and I guess America really is not ready. I know you know what I mean by that, how unfortunate for us. I am ashamed for the people who live in such fear.

America has refused a gift...

My hope is waning, forgive me.

October 27, 2007 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  24. Anonymous

Obama will win.

October 27, 2007 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  25. sf, ca

The web is full of information why Obama did not/ could not vote on Iran. Posted By Maria, Houston : October 26, 2007 6:22 pm

Maria, the web is full of left-wing nuts who are active this time for Obama and Edwards, just like the gospel singing right-wing nuts were active last time for the hypocrite Bush.

There are lots of similarities in the way Obama now and Bush in 2000, indulged with people and sold dreams to lazy people. I am a hard working American who is at the center. I want to see substance, not rhetoric. Hope is a good thing, but selling hope without substance, is equivalent to fooling people.

October 27, 2007 02:21 am at 2:21 am |