October 26th, 2007

The mother of all tax bills

Watch Dana Bash's report about a new $1 trillion tax bill proposed by Congressional Democrats.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A leading Democrat calls it a matter of fairness and equity while a leading Republican calls it a political "gift." Watch Dana Bash's report about a new tax bill that is likely to cause a fight on Capitol Hill.

Related video: Watch Rep. Charlie Rangel discuss the tax bill on American Morning

Related: CNNMoney.com: Giant tax overhaul bill unveiled

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

Filed under: Capitol Hill • House
  1. therealist

What did you do with the money momma sent to you in college? That's what Charile wants to give single young adults, mostly, not in college..

October 26, 2007 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  2. Raymond, El Paso TX

Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

I wish I lived in your fantasy world! Human and corporate greed will never allow that nice little scenario you painted.

I've worked in management for corporations and I know first-hand how much they care about the average worker ...and believe me, they will run over that little business owner without a second thought.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is why government has to intervene and why it is necessary. Unfortunately, Republicans would rather look the other way when the middle-class and the poor are abused like they have been.

It's good to know most Americans see the onslaught, why Republicans lost power and why they will soon lose even more.

October 26, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  3. bprossersme

Hillary's trying to prepare America for a taste of what's to come from her presidency. She's promised old Rangel a cushy spot for fronting this for her. Wake up America!

October 29, 2007 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  4. Leo, LA, CA

Ya know, I really hate it when people say so the rich lose a few thousand dollars. Ya know what? It's not just them!!!! IT'S YOU TOO! You want to lose your hard earned money that's your business. But let me tell you something, nobody should have the right to take money you earned. Right now everyone is suffering at the hands of income tax. And quite honestly I don't want to pay for your child's healthcare. You brought them into this world, you should take care of them. It is past time for people to quit relying on others to take care of them. I'm sorry if this hurts some of ya'll mentalities. Sheesh! This world has become dependent. Which is why the independent world, yes those who actually don't rely on others to take care of them, have their rights taken away. Don't believe me? Think I should take care of you, when I the government keeps taking the money I need to take care of myself? Well tough cookies! I think someone should get their but in there and start doing something. People on welfare should be CUT off and their kids taken away if they have another child while on welfare!!! That would give you your precious money for a health bill. But I'm sure you support giving more money to someone who lives off welfare for a living. Income tax should be abolished. The country should be able to survive on the other taxes they have out there. If they can't then they are spending too much money!!!

October 29, 2007 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

Boy, listening to some of you people talk, it's just bread lines and soup kitchens as far as the eye can see. You want to see messed up economies? Look no further than America, 1979 and 1980.

Hells bells, folks... when these same economic numbers were playing out in the Nineties, the media was falling all over itself to boast about the great Clinton Economy.

Now, the numbers are actually better, in spite of having to deal with the greatest terrorist attack on this nation, the subsequent post-9/11 security concerns and general investor jitters, the collapse of the dotcom ponzi scheme, oil hitting insane record highs and WWIV now being fought in two threaters. And the economy is STILL doing better than it was in the Nineties. The differenence is that the POTUS has an "R" behind his name and the media would rather short-circuit and blow a gasket than report anything positive about a Republican president.

Real wages aren't increasing, eh? My question and challenge to you would be, "What exactly are you doing to improve yourself or your skills, to make yourself a hotter labor commodity? In other words, what are you doing to increase your own wages?" (I mean, other than sitting around grousing?)

Think merely showing up to work (most of you not on time, mind you) and doing the minimum required is going to earn you a raise? Think again.

I keep hearing how people don't have enough money to invest, or pay for their own healthcare. But, boy, they sure do have some iPods, huh! How about computers? Cell phones? Latest clothes? And lots and lots of shiny 24-inch rims on their cars/trucks/SUVs/bicycles, etc. Folks have money for junk food, cigarettes, booze and dope, but they don't have enough money to invest or pay for their own healthcare?

It's all about priorities. And when you expect someone else to pick up the tab for your bad choices in life, you can continue flitting about entertaining your lack of priorities.

Don't worry, I'll keep working and picking up the tab for you.

To my compatriots, I say, work hard... millions on welfare are depending on you.

October 29, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |