October 26th, 2007

Tancredo seeks to bet candidacy on the Rockies

Tancredo sought to make a risky bet with rival Mitt Romney.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - With the Colorado Rockies down 2-0 to the Boston Red Sox in the World Series, Republican presidential candidate Tom Tancredo must be relieved rival Mitt Romney didn't take his bet.

Before the start of the World Series Wednesday night, the Colorado Congressman issued a challenge to the former Massachusetts governor: whichever candidate's home-team wins the series gets to stay in the presidential race - the other has to drop out.

“Governor Romney, I propose we make a bet on the World Series.” Tancredo said in an issued statement. “I will agree to drop out of the race if the Red Sox win on the condition that you will agree to drop out if the Rockies win.”

This is the second such life-or-death bet Trancredo has attempted to make with Romney. Last week the Colorado Republican challenged Romney to a trap-shooting contest in New Hampshire on the condition the loser abandons his presidential bid.

Tancredo spokesman Alan Moore told CNN he never heard a response from the Romney campaign on the baseball bet. Asked if Tancredo was actually prepared to exit the race if his baseball team lost, Moore said, "I guess we'll never know."

Reacting to the proposal, Romney spokesman Kevin Madden said, "Governor Romney got in the race for the Republican nomination to win."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Tom Tancredo
  1. Herb, Pittsburgh, PA

Is this the sports page, or what?

October 26, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  2. James, Phoenix AZ

Unfortunately this effort on Tancredo's part (while likely in jest) show's he is willing to risk LARGE consequences on an insignificant game.

What next? We'll make a deal with Iran over a world soccor match: We'll give you our nukes if you win... you give up your nuclear program if we win!

He's not ready for prime time.

October 26, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. Tom Tancredo, Denver, Co

Someone please give me an excuse to drop out before I'm completely humiliated.

October 26, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

Man, congressmen manifest themselves in so many ways these days. I thought betting on sports games was for rich people only.

Though I don't really care, I like the Rockies (being a Colorado native) and am mad at Romney for his "Osama-Obama" comment. So go Rockies and go Tancredo (I still laught at the idea that Tancredo is running solely on illegal immigration)!

October 26, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. Dave, Alpharetta, GA

PLEASE!!! One of you two losers take the bet! Do the country a favor.

October 26, 2007 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Brenda, Annapolis MD

The Rockies? He put his presidential bid on THE ROCKIES?

He's either tired of wasting money (but to withdraw would be worse than a defeat) OR he's trying to eliminate the competition. Of course he could be addicted to gambling–who knows? Only an idiot would play their presidential bid (and supporter's money) as if it were a poker chip. Who wants a president that would throw all in like that?

October 26, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

Hey Tanc, I'll give up MY candidacy if your team DOESN'T lose. You might want to note that pushing Christian values at your team and taking away their Playboys didn't turn them into a winning team, and perhaps apply that lesson to the real world. By the way, there's a Mexican under your bed!

October 26, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  8. Matt, Chicago

I like his style. He should go up to Romney, slap him with a pair of gloves and challenge him to a duel.

I'd think Tancredo was a riot if he didn't want to cleanse the country of people of color.

October 26, 2007 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  9. Daniel, NY

With a new poll out today that has him leading New Hampshire (the second in two days), it's a good thing Romney did not take the risk either. Link to poll.

October 26, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  10. Steve , Sumter, SC

While I embrace his illegal alien stance, to bet your candidancy on a game that in the large scope of things means nothing, means he is not ready for prime time. Why not bet Rocky Mountain oysters against baked beans? Now that makes sense!

October 26, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  11. Tannim

Can we just cancel the World Series so neither team wins and they both drop out? They both suck as candidates anyway!

Then we can focus on a the real conservative candidate in this race, Dr. Paul. Not Judy or DeadHeadFred, nor Brokebank McCain or the Huckster.

October 26, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  12. Mike, Cleveland, OH

Sounds like Tancredo has a gambling problem...he won't be getting my vote

October 26, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  13. Rodney Dallas TX

Talk about putting your foot in your mouth. This guy would be worse than Bush.

October 26, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. Steve, Sumter SC

Hey, what happened to my Rocky Mouuntain oysters verses baked bean post?!?!?!?!?

October 26, 2007 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  15. Jeff from Jersey

It doesn't matter who wins or loses the Series,this fool is already gone.That's a big win for the country already!

October 26, 2007 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  16. Max, Boston, MA

I'd hate to see his foreign policy, if this is his campaign strategy.

October 26, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  17. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

L-O-S-E-R

October 26, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. familyforest

Go Rockies!!!!

October 27, 2007 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. Brandi

I can't seem to figure this out. If you are Democrats why are you attacking me. Why are you trying to put me in la la land. That doesn't even make sense. I think that you are lying Republicans pretending to be Democrats. Once before you sent me to the Dem DA phoney site. So this Dem PEI site is phoney too. So where are the real Dems. That is the part I can't figure out.

October 29, 2007 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  20. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Have a nice day Tom, and don't let the door hit you on the way out of the race..

Can you say sweep???????????

The Rockies were a GREAT national league story and deserved to be there, but they were exposed as more frauds from Colorado, like Steve lyings.

October 29, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |