October 29th, 2007

A double scoop of good news for Romney

Gregg endorses Romney before heading to state capitol to file .

CONCORD, New Hampshire (CNN) – On Monday, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney was served up a double helping of good news: a Red Sox World Series victory and the endorsement of New Hampshire political powerhouse Sen. Judd Gregg.

The former Massachusetts governor made the announcement outside the New Hampshire Political Library.

“We have history in the making and then to have the support of Judd and Kathy Gregg this is just so wonderful,” Romney said.

Following the endorsement, Gregg and his wife, Kathy, led the crowd of campaign supporters through the halls of the statehouse to Secretary of State William Gardner’s office.

Gardner is a long time friend of the Gregg family, co-authoring a book with the senator’s father, Hugh, a former New Hampshire governor, in 2003. A picture of the Gregg family hangs in the main room.

After signing his name, Romney met with reporters and discussed the personal historical significance of his filing.

“I’m also thrilled as you can imagine to be sitting in the seat, I imagine my father sat in 40 some odd years ago when he declared his candidacy,” Romney said. “I intend to follow his footsteps up to a point– and the point is I plan on winning.”

Romney’s father, former Michigan Gov. George Romney, sought the GOP nomination in 1968.

“I think my dad would be smiling from ear to ear,” Romney continued “He’s a person given to thinking and to thinking about what’s right for the country and he’d be giving me all the ideas about what I have to do– not to win, but what I have to do to make sure America remains strong.”

When asked by reporters why Gregg chose Romney over the other candidates, Gregg highlighted Romney’s fiscally conservative philosophy and record.

- CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Mitt Romney • New Hampshire
  1. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

'“We need a can-do problem solver who understands the philosophy of approaching a problem from a conservative position in Washington. I think we need to have someone come in from the outside who understands how you resolve issues and move the country forward in a positive, optimistic way that does it from a conservative philosophy,” Gregg said.'

Um, why then didn't he endorse Rudy?

October 29, 2007 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  2. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

I have a great deal of respect for my Mormon brother, however I think He haven't got a prayer of a chance of beating Hillary R Clinton. If Romney is the nominee one can expect the Southern Baptists to with-hold their support and stay home rather than vote for HRC. Though he is a good man he has shown a tendency to waffle and caprice on core issues

October 29, 2007 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Richard,boston, ma

Even if you get endosed by many, no republican this time around. Try 2016 if it will work for you!

October 29, 2007 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Vic, Sparks Nevada

If you like George Bush, Mitt's your man. One thing for sure, Romney will make Bush look like a piker.

If you think the Bush administration is packed with incompetent cronies, you ain't seen nothing compared to what it'll look like with Romney and company in the Peoples House.

Mormons support Mormons. Bigger jobs and bigger paychecks translate directly to a bigger 10% going to the church.

Don't believe me, ask anyone who's worked for a Mormon and competed against a Mormon for advancement.

These people stick together like the 30 wives of the founder of Mormonism, Joseph Smith.

October 29, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. Bob, Seattle, WA

If only Romney's hair wasn't so plastic and artificially touched up to 'look' regal. Looks more like the hairdo of Cruella De Vil in 101 Dalmatians. Renders the impression of 'just not quite believable'. Not 'real'. Too 'made up'. Too 'practiced'. Too 'scripted'. Too 'self important'. Just seems phony, thats all. May reflect on the man. And I'm a conservative.

October 29, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  6. Chris, Middletown, CT

Who was that other loser that used his own money to finance his campaign?? (oh wait...the was Kerry....) – this is why Giuliani will win...a social liberal and fiscal conservative....we don't need the division of right and left anymore

October 29, 2007 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  7. Tyson

Romney/Huckabee 2008! Romney is our only hope to keep the WH!

October 29, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  8. Brandi,ny

I can't imagine why having Judd and Kathy Gregg's support is so wonderful. Who in the world ever heard of them.

October 29, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  9. RG, NY, NY

A double scoop? I guess he likes his news like he likes his wives, in multiple doses.

October 29, 2007 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  10. ashley rowell,

Its funny everywhere Romney goes and meets the people, speaks, or spends any time at all he gets overwhelming support. So I ask what is wrong with Nat. polls? Why do Rep's not get this is the man for the job and show him thier support? WAKE UP AMERICAN REPUBLICANS!!!!!!!!!!

October 29, 2007 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  11. ashley rowell, foxworth,ms

October 29, 2007 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  12. Jedd, Bronx, NY

Well done, Mitt. You rock!! Like many others, I can't wait to see you in the White House and open up a can. Sock it to 'em!

October 30, 2007 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  13. RB, from the bay state

I thought I read somewhere that Judd Gregg was on shaky ground himself.

Maybe both of these guys will lose.

October 30, 2007 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  14. Steve Wittlake Blaine Washington

Before, people comment on the Mormon Church and poligomy they should research the subject. Joseph Smith never lived with any woman other than his wife. After, he died many women sealed themselves to Joseph Smith in Mormon temples. However, Marriages in Mormon temples are marriage which do not end with death on earth. They continue in the after life if and if both want the marriage to continue.
    If they would do their research they would find out that All Religious dispensations of Jesus Christ or Jehovah from Adam down praticed poligomy at one time or another.

October 30, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. Steve, New York

It will be a good day in America when Americans stop giving bigoted people like Romney the time of day.

October 30, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  16. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Posted By Steve, New York : October 30, 2007 2:43 pm

It will be a good day in America if you posted some actual details, points of reference, something visible to articulate why Mitt Romney is a bigot, can you do that Stevie?

October 30, 2007 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  17. Val Davydov, Agawam, MA

CNN – please to tell why my comment on this blog was deleted.

October 31, 2007 01:08 am at 1:08 am |