October 29th, 2007

Colbert campaigns in S.C.; Edwards camp attacks Doritos link

Watch Stephen Colbert in South Carolina.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Comedian Stephen Colbert brought his mock presidential campaign to the capital of South Carolina Sunday, where he was declared "favorite son" by the mayor of Columbia and given the key to the city.

Colbert, a native of Charleston, told the raucous crowd of several hundred gathered on the University of South Carolina campus that, "I love South Carolina almost as much as South Carolina loves me."

The host of Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" is seeking to get his name on both the Republican and Democratic ballots for the South Carolina primaries in January.

"I am here not only to accept the honor you have given me but to prove to everyone that this campaign is real," Colbert said. "To put an end to the vicious rumors that this is not a serious candidacy."

He joked that, "Over the past 18 hours, this campaign has gone everywhere in this state, from Charleston to Columbia."

After spending several minutes espousing the quality of South Carolina peaches, Colbert laid out his vision for the future of the state.

"In the 19th century, South Carolina was the first to secede," he said. "In the 21st we will the first to succeed. First to secede. First to succeed. I own the copyright on that phrase, if you use it you must pay me a royalty."

Mayor Bob Coble also declared October 28th "Stephen Colbert Day." Coble has endorsed another South Carolina native for President, the Democratic former Sen. John Edwards.

Asked about this apparent conflict, the Edwards campaign said that until Colbert wins the primary like Edwards did in 2004, he cannot claim to be a favorite son.

Edwards spokesperson Teresa Wells also ribbed Colbert for his ties to the snack food industry. Colbert has said his campaign will be sponsored by Doritos.

"What is more troubling than his quest for a status his own mother won't grant him (favorite son) are his ties to the salty food industry," Wells said. "As the candidate of Doritos, his hands are stained by corporate corruption and nacho cheese. John Edwards has never taken a dime from taco chip lobbyists and America deserves a President who isn't in the pocket of the snack food special interests."

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: John Edwards • South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. Emma, Brisbane, QLD

He's not seriously critcising Colbert. The statement made me laugh. Good on the Edwards camp for taking this as seriously as it's intended.

October 29, 2007 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  2. Rob L

To my American Cousins

I have followed this debate about the seriousness of Mr. Colbert for quite some time now. He has made his presence known even here. I have always looked to my neighbours to the south as my brothers meaning well but sometime acting with less than ideal judgment. However, lately I see my brother needing some medication before he heals himself. HAWK, your service is noted, and dude, I did service myself, but come on...we are coming to the age when we need to be better than those yo-yos over there. I will be more than happy to sell you my oil up heren (proven reserves greater than Saudi). Colbert although unfortunately has little chance of winning actually could restore what was once good in America. Illuminate the flame in Liberty , inspire the world through example, not through lesson. Please, let me have a neighbour worthy of being called a friend in good and bad.

October 30, 2007 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  3. Josh Clontz, Ohio University-Athens, Ohio

Pathetic. Stephen Colbert has a voice that speaks not only to the bussiness side of America, but to the collegiate side of this country. Wells is nervous, and rightly so, that John Edwards' campaign may be in jeopardy from a young satirist. Only time will tell. I for one would love to see Colbert in the white house, though at this point in the race, his chances are minute.

October 30, 2007 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  4. RightyTighty

Its official. BIG DADDY himself has publically stated that Stephan Colbert is a..,
    pinhead.

October 30, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. livnlrg

My Doritos' stock is skyrocketing and I'm buying more. God I love America, capitolism and Stephen Colbert!!

October 30, 2007 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  6. Marvin, Bossier City, LA

Great 20 somethings are getting their political news and views from hollywood leftist elitist like Stewart and Colbert!

Maybe to be fair and balanced, Ann Coulter should run for president pretending to be a limosine liberal socialist!

October 30, 2007 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  7. tom praska minnetonka, Mn

Say, folks, Edward's spokesman is JOKING!!
    Tom Praska

October 30, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  8. Zac , Moreno Valley, CA

HAWK thanks for your service and all but to all the people who are upset with colbert what you really need to see is what colbert is accomplishing. Colbert has gotten the youth interested into politics in which we have rarely ever have been. i am 17 (say what you want about my age) but colbert has gotten me to want to vote. i probably wouldn't even be commenting on this matter let alone be following politics. Colbert has acheived the respect of the youth of this nation. Something i doubt obama or hillary could ever do. In the corrupt system we currently have Colbert sheds light on a brighter future for this nation.

Correct we are at war, but with who?? We claim the war to be a war on terror but honestly you cannot eliminate the beliefs or race of a people. an example would be the nazi's, did they eliminate the jews,no. have nazi's dissapeared, no. the point im trying to make is instead being in iraq losing troops why not focus more on our nations security or problems like our growing debt with china. I will vote for colbert if he makes it which i hope he does and stephen being the intelligent man he is will make a great leader for our country

COLBERT 08'

October 30, 2007 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. marvin, Bossier, La

zac, I hope you're astute enough to know that colbert is a typical hollywood leftist elitist.

October 30, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. HenryPat, Concord, NH

ALL the politiicans in this race are sellouts? Sounds like no one has heard of Ron Paul. I believe Colbert, while lampooning the white-collor bureaucrats in the race, would find a lot in common with Ron Paul: no nonsense, tell-it-how-it-is politics. If Americans took Ron Paul more seriously, Colbert wouldn't have to do all this in the first place.

October 30, 2007 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. It's good to be the King, Canton MI

So to summarize:
    • Colbert can't win any b/c he's only registered in SC (reportedly).

• Edwards comment was witty, which some people don't get.

• Humor is acceptable, even in a "time of war", despite some people's opinions. By the way, on average, a child laughs 400 times a day; An adult laughs about 15. Some of you need to take a page from our children and lighten up; You might live longer. Then again... maybe you shouldn't.

• Hawk needs to learn some manners with his CAPS.

October 30, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Frank Denver CO

CNN why is this news? if it is, my cat has 5 toes

October 31, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  13. SSG Joseph T. Tobin, Baghdad, Iraq

joseph, austin, tx

Thanks for offering. I can get the doritos...beer would be nice. There is absolutely no way that will happen though. Thanks again, tho.

November 1, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |