October 29th, 2007
1 year ago

Colbert campaigns in S.C.; Edwards camp attacks Doritos link

Watch Stephen Colbert in South Carolina.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Comedian Stephen Colbert brought his mock presidential campaign to the capital of South Carolina Sunday, where he was declared "favorite son" by the mayor of Columbia and given the key to the city.

Colbert, a native of Charleston, told the raucous crowd of several hundred gathered on the University of South Carolina campus that, "I love South Carolina almost as much as South Carolina loves me."

The host of Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" is seeking to get his name on both the Republican and Democratic ballots for the South Carolina primaries in January.

"I am here not only to accept the honor you have given me but to prove to everyone that this campaign is real," Colbert said. "To put an end to the vicious rumors that this is not a serious candidacy."

He joked that, "Over the past 18 hours, this campaign has gone everywhere in this state, from Charleston to Columbia."

After spending several minutes espousing the quality of South Carolina peaches, Colbert laid out his vision for the future of the state.

"In the 19th century, South Carolina was the first to secede," he said. "In the 21st we will the first to succeed. First to secede. First to succeed. I own the copyright on that phrase, if you use it you must pay me a royalty."

Mayor Bob Coble also declared October 28th "Stephen Colbert Day." Coble has endorsed another South Carolina native for President, the Democratic former Sen. John Edwards.

Asked about this apparent conflict, the Edwards campaign said that until Colbert wins the primary like Edwards did in 2004, he cannot claim to be a favorite son.

Edwards spokesperson Teresa Wells also ribbed Colbert for his ties to the snack food industry. Colbert has said his campaign will be sponsored by Doritos.

"What is more troubling than his quest for a status his own mother won't grant him (favorite son) are his ties to the salty food industry," Wells said. "As the candidate of Doritos, his hands are stained by corporate corruption and nacho cheese. John Edwards has never taken a dime from taco chip lobbyists and America deserves a President who isn't in the pocket of the snack food special interests."

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: John Edwards • South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. Eric - Goose Creek, SC

I was going to not go to the polls on either primary or General election day – since the game is so rigged as it is. Now I amy actually go, if Colbert is on there. It may make a small statement, but its all in good fun. BTW to those conspiracy theorists who think that Colbert is trying to steer votes to one democrat or another, flush out you head-gear, its a joke.

He is only picking on Edwards because he is the only one claiming afilliation with SC. I am from NY, live in SC but was born in CA, should I try to win the primary there as a goof? (I am not famous so theres no chance, but if I could afford to run – why not?) I didn't like Arnold for winning a "recall" election, or Hillary for moving to NY just to be a senator in a state where she knew the people would pull the blue lever. Now I am over those feelings because its all rigged. If you have the dollars, the position follows (if you want it) otherwise you can stay behind the scenes and tell the president what to think through your donations.

Look at it this way. Comedy Central gets higher ratings because of this, more sponsors, Stephen Colbert gets to become more famous, and all those "Americans" who take themselves and politics too seriously mess themselves. All too funny!

October 29, 2007 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  2. Rod, Fort Mill South Carolina

Mr. EDWARDS how dare you attack Doritos and all that is cheesey...
    Thanks I will be voting for Colbert the true favorite son of South Carolina

October 29, 2007 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  3. Eric Goose Creek, SC

One more note – to those who are concerned with the welfare of the soldiers and insist that this is not newsworthy becuase people are dying in Iraq. Look at our history (in the media), since WW2 we have not gone into any war wholeheartedly. If it isn't someone mocking the elections, its Britney Spears or Tomkat or some crap like that.

Another thing is that as a veteran, this is the kind of news story that any GI in indian country awants to hear. They don't want to hear about 10 guys getting blown up in the town next to where they are. They just want some sleep, entertainment and the occasional illegal contraband mailed to them from home until DEROS time.

October 29, 2007 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  4. Dan, Durham, NC

Hawk-
    I don't think I would have bought your argument, but since you TYPED IN ALL CAPS I'm all with you brother! Nut cases don't type in all caps, do they?

October 29, 2007 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  5. Bubba the Conspiracy Theorist, Swainsboro GA

It's a sneaky attempt to allow the Frito Bandito back into the USA. Colbert is soft on Mexican Food! And are these the 'chips' Tancredo is cashing in?

America wants to know!

October 29, 2007 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  6. demwit

Perhaps Stephen meant that he was the flavorite son of South Carolina. After all, he is white and a faux neocon....

October 29, 2007 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  7. Billy Mitchell, Mobile, Alabama

Great story! People need to relax, this is a comedian doing what comedians do. Granted, the country is in peril, however, that doesn't mean we still can't laugh. And thumbs up ( can I say that without being sued?) to the Edwards campaign for playing along with the obvious joke and commenting as such. That was brilliant!

October 29, 2007 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. Heather Lowe, Corning, NY

Oh, how I wish I still lived in South Carolina. GO STEPHEN!

October 29, 2007 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. Brandon, Tampa, FL

This is going to be the greatest election ever.

October 29, 2007 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. ANDY J, Upstate, NY

At least Colbert is trying to be funny and KNOWS he's a joke, in terms of being a presidential candidate. As for the majority of the other candidates, I'm not so sure they are aware of the fact that THEY ARE JOKES, TOO!

October 29, 2007 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. Joseph, austin, tx

I would love to hear what Steven Colberts' positions are, and not what Steven Colberts' characters positions are. Once he exposes his left- wingedness Im sure people(sane ones) will stop paying attention to him. As for the young vote, they will forget to show up as we always do, "wasnt I supposed to do something today" will be said alot come election time among the 18-30 year olds.

October 29, 2007 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. Clint, IL

first off, this is the funiest thing anyone has done in the race since I can remember. It's a stunt, but if the people actually elect him president that their fault...not that I think he would do that much worse a job than Hillary

October 29, 2007 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  13. Scott, Ann Arbor, MI

Some of you people amaze me. I'm a moderate Republic who did not vote for W last time. I love the fact that Edwards "gets" the joke and plays along. However, I think Colbert is a brilliant satirist, and to be one you have to have a solid understanding of the real issues in order to mock it. I would certainly vote for him if he takes his campaign nationally, and I think lots of serious Americans would, because we're all fed up with the idiots the system produces. However, I would be more solidly behind Colbert '08 if he got sponsorship from Lays, and not Doritos...much higher potential for humor...

October 29, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  14. Robert, Vivian, La

Why is this on the "POLITICALticker"?

This should be on E Entertainment television or Comedy Central, not a major news organization.

It's entertainment, not politics.

October 29, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  15. Franki, Alabamlama

This is really funny, I think that the Edwards campaign isn't hitting below the belt. They are doing a great job of sounding just like the Colbert Report's writing staff. I like it, makes me like Edwards

October 29, 2007 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  16. Monte Del Lago, Orange, CA

In America, ANYONE can be come President.
    Judging by the past 6+ years, that may not be a good thing. Where are my Doritos?

October 29, 2007 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  17. Hunter Robbins, Columbia, SC

I usually don't pay attention to politics, but as a huge fan of Doritos Collisions (the Blue Cheese and Buffalo flavor), I was impressed by Colbert being able to obtain Doritos sponsorship.

He has caught my attention and I may actually vote this time.

I saw someone posting stuff about the war above, and I am amazed that people actually say this election is about war, not about people, candidates, or issues here at home. Sorry people, keep your whining to youself, don't ruin the fun.

October 29, 2007 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  18. Tricia M Charlottetown PEi

Colbert may be a Comedian but he is definitely not doing what Comedians do!

He needs to give himself a Reality Check. How many Comedians have you known that have feigned to run in a Presidential Campaign?

In my view, he is insulting all Candidates Running as well as America and the Constitution of the United States. America has plenty of Comdedians in the White House presently without Colbert adding his Hat to the Oval Ring.

I plainly think he is way out of line and quite frankly disgusting.
    And that's my view from the outside. Take what you like and leave the rest.

October 29, 2007 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  19. Matt, Coral Gables, FL

And so it goes, the mainstream media has more respect for Colbert than they do Ron Paul, a REAL presidential candidate with real principles, and with a real plan for change.

October 29, 2007 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  20. Josh, Lawrence, KS

Until there are serious canidates, I'll take the fake ones. At least they are more real then Hilary's laugh or southern accent. HAWK is right about the state of America, but don't tell me that Stephen Colbert is the reason. The real reason the country sucks right now is the broken political system that people like Hawk still have faith in.

October 29, 2007 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  21. Anonymous

GO COLBERT!!!!

October 29, 2007 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  22. Scott

(A) Colbert is very funny.

(B) Doritos are quite delicious.

(C) Edwards is quite certainly in on the joke.

October 29, 2007 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. Frank, Troy, Michigan

I think Stephen Colbert, should run. The crap they have running now is a joke. None of them could run the country any better than Stephen! I think this country needs someone in office that is not affiliated with the democratic or republican parties. They have their own agenda and they are not putting us, the people first. So I say vote for Colbert, he's a smart guy.Way smarter than our C president that is in office now! South Carloina, get him on the ballot so the rest of us americans can vote for him! Good luck Stephen! May the country be bright enough to vote you into office!

October 29, 2007 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  24. Sophie, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

It's going to be hilarious if anyone of Stephen Colbert's associates read through this blog and use it for the show. I'm watching intently now.

October 29, 2007 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  25. Greg Lafayette, In

C'mon people our current political system is flawed. We are a democracy in name only. We need Colbert and others to step up and stop this cycle of "Country Clubbers" elected President.
    Colbert '08