October 29th, 2007

Colbert campaigns in S.C.; Edwards camp attacks Doritos link

Watch Stephen Colbert in South Carolina.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Comedian Stephen Colbert brought his mock presidential campaign to the capital of South Carolina Sunday, where he was declared "favorite son" by the mayor of Columbia and given the key to the city.

Colbert, a native of Charleston, told the raucous crowd of several hundred gathered on the University of South Carolina campus that, "I love South Carolina almost as much as South Carolina loves me."

The host of Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" is seeking to get his name on both the Republican and Democratic ballots for the South Carolina primaries in January.

"I am here not only to accept the honor you have given me but to prove to everyone that this campaign is real," Colbert said. "To put an end to the vicious rumors that this is not a serious candidacy."

He joked that, "Over the past 18 hours, this campaign has gone everywhere in this state, from Charleston to Columbia."

After spending several minutes espousing the quality of South Carolina peaches, Colbert laid out his vision for the future of the state.

"In the 19th century, South Carolina was the first to secede," he said. "In the 21st we will the first to succeed. First to secede. First to succeed. I own the copyright on that phrase, if you use it you must pay me a royalty."

Mayor Bob Coble also declared October 28th "Stephen Colbert Day." Coble has endorsed another South Carolina native for President, the Democratic former Sen. John Edwards.

Asked about this apparent conflict, the Edwards campaign said that until Colbert wins the primary like Edwards did in 2004, he cannot claim to be a favorite son.

Edwards spokesperson Teresa Wells also ribbed Colbert for his ties to the snack food industry. Colbert has said his campaign will be sponsored by Doritos.

"What is more troubling than his quest for a status his own mother won't grant him (favorite son) are his ties to the salty food industry," Wells said. "As the candidate of Doritos, his hands are stained by corporate corruption and nacho cheese. John Edwards has never taken a dime from taco chip lobbyists and America deserves a President who isn't in the pocket of the snack food special interests."

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: John Edwards • South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. Aaron, Dayton, Ohio

Anyone who is truely upset about this needs to get over themselves! If you're going to be upset about someone running for Presidant how are you not outraged by the "serious" contenders? If this country ever becomes as humorless as those who report to be our leaders we are in serious trouble. What bothers me most is the large number of people who don't think Colbert is funny because they are too thick to pick up on his satire/sarcasm. We are quickly becoming a country run by "holier than thou" pundits and "bumper sticker patriots." God forbid someone break the tension and get us to laugh at ourselves! God knows the rest of the world is!

October 29, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. Me, Here, MI

For everyone who thinks this is a serious run, you are idiots. How can you honestly believe that Colbert will earn presidency?

Not that it would bad for America, I think we need some appropriate humorus changes in this country.

(That was also a joke....)

Lay off of the caps lock, by the way.

October 29, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  3. Matt, Pennsylvania

At least he's a candidate that has some real ideas. Right now it's going to come down to Hillary and Giuliani. Both are fascists. Hillary is because she will 'take money away from individuals and corporations for their own good'. Probably to spend on her pet projects like hippy museums. And Giuliani is a fascist because he is a jack booted thug with insane zero tolerance policies. But at least he would get something done, rather than Hillary that will tax and spend this country into ruin.

Go Colbert, and expose these frauds, sellouts, and traitors for what they are.

October 29, 2007 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. Disgusted, Austin, TX

Thanks, dan. You have just set the Republicans back even farther by your statement. Do you know what a tool is? Or maybe the political definition of a sheep? I bet you have relatives or friends who are Democrats, who would probably be sad to hear you narrowminded statement.

October 29, 2007 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  5. Johbert, NB Canada

I'm Canadian. Our political races are borrring, our politicians colourless. Maybe that's a good thing, intrinsically, but it sure makes for lacklustre entertainment. And so, we look to America to fill our hee-haw needs and she usually delivers - and this time, she's even delivering a real honest-to-goodness comedian drenched in Doritos! Go America!

If Colbert needs money, let me know. I can pitch-in $10, and that's almost $10 American now, eh!

October 29, 2007 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. Luke Chicago, IL

A little mini history lesson, courtesy of me:

-George Washington was wary of the idea of political parties.

-The Republican Party actually started off as a third party.

-Great leaders have come from both parties: Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Lincoln, JFK

What does this all mean?

1. Political parties are a menace, especially in a two party system like ours because they present a false dichotomy, cause the country to be divided many times throughout history, and because people are prone to party loyalty, thus voting for a party rather than a candidate.

2. Voting third party is not a wasted vote, otherwise you have to say that voting for Lincoln was a mistake. We could get some real change by voting third party and eventually either ousting the current two parties, or force them to rethink their candidate choices.

3. Don't vote Republican or Democrat, vote for the person. In fact, I think it should be illegal to announce your party affiliation until after you are elected.

October 29, 2007 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. SSG Joseph T. Tobin, Bagdad, Iraq

Mmmmmm....Doritos!

As usual I find myself sitting in a built up observation post in the heart of baghdad. During my five minute break I have decided to scroll the Colbert Blog. I miss Doritos. MMMMMMM
    If Mr. Colbert can secure his little piece of history (remember 'one delegate=victory) I will kick back with my beer and my jumbo bag of cheesiness (after 15 months in this lousy place...i deserve it) and salute Stephen for being a favorite son. This freedom of speech thing is one of the reasons that make me proud to serve. With the whole sponsorship thing, I am glad that Jon did not have to give up the cigars or hookers in order to finance your quest.

Walking my post defending beer and doritos and free speech,

October 29, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. jake bly davenport, IA

"a good democrat is a dead democrat"

OH YOU'RE SO SWEET!!! WE LOVE YOU TOO YOU PROFOUND DOG YOU.

October 29, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. M.P.E Minneapolis MN

OK, first of all, this isnt a question of wheather or not he is running for president do you realize that the Daily show and Colbert Report have done somthing that our own goverment and countless campaigns couldnt do they have kids watching the news about politics. So smash them all you want but to be honest they have done something that many couldnt. because before they came around many kids didnt even know that it was an election year, let alone who was running so this just brings to the forefront current events that our children need to know about to function in this world.

October 29, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  10. zac,moreno valley, ca

hawk thanks for your service and all but what we need to really see is what colbert is trying to accomplish. He has gotten the youth interested in politics.i myself would have most likely not have voted this coming up election but since colbert joined i started following politics and im only 17, say what you want about my age but colbert is ushering in a generation of younger voters who would have otherwise not voted let alone pay attention to the political news. Him being a comedian doesn't mean he's not serious, colbert is very intelligent and i learn a lot of things just by watching his show. So i say go colbert you have my vote

COLBERT 08'

October 29, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. Wufpakmom, Illinois

Terry in El Paso – excellent posts; well thought out, cogent analysis. You forgot one memorable Mark Twain quote, though: "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

Seriously, folks we need to step back and take a nation-wide deep breath. What is happening here? A talented satarist is turning the laser beam of his art onto the political spectrum. And, in the best tradition of satire, we are being reflected in that beam. I wonder if that's the source of so much rage on this ticker? Not only is Colbert making fun of the process, he's making fun of all of US, bless him! He's exposing our shallowness, our hypocrisy, our lack of self-analysis and our utter childishness. No one likes to be laughed at, to be sure. But only the truly arrogant get angry and refuse to see the germ of truth that is the basis of all great satire. Deep breath, folks. This country has a history of the right person coming forth at the right time to be the right leader. Washington, Licoln, Roosevelt. It will happen again. Meanwhile, grab a few giggles along the way. We'll be a happier people if we do.

October 29, 2007 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  12. js, San Francisco, CA

I cannot believe that the Stephen Colbert Campaign would "dip" into the hors d'oevres and college food lobby. All of the corn that goes into producing this chip could be going into producing more environmentally-friendly fuel rather than the greenhouse gas (methane) resulting from dorito-digestion.

October 29, 2007 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  13. LoooseyGoosey

Sorry, chessey, chessey Cheetos for me, but I do like those Dorito commericals..

October 29, 2007 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  14. demwit

I'll vote for Colbert when he catches a Dorito in his mouth while doing a split.

October 29, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  15. Nathan, Ames, Iowa

I've always liked Stephen Colbert, but it was only when he began his run for president that I realized I would actually support him in this. Frankly, I think all of the other candidates in this election are much bigger jokes than he is.
    Not to mention the fact that Stephen Colbert is absolutely brilliant, and since he is a complete political neophyte he has not yet had to compromise his integrity for the sake of political gain, which I feel the vast majority of other candidates have done.
    I like that Ron Paul speaks his mind and is consistent, but privatizing education? Repealing the income tax? I can't even begin to list the ways in which things like that would damage the country.

October 29, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. zac, Moreno Valley, CA

HAWK thanks for your service and all but to all the people who are upset with colbert what you really need to see is what colbert is accomplishing. Colbert has gotten the youth interested into politics in which we have rarely ever have been. i am 17 (say what you want about my age) but colbert has gotten me to want to vote. i probably wouldn't even be commenting on this matter let alone be following politics. Colbert has acheived the respect of the youth of this nation. Something i doubt obama or hillary could ever do. In the corrupt system we currently have Colbert sheds light on a brighter future for this nation.

Correct we are at war, but with who?? We claim the war to be a war on terror but honestly you cannot eliminate the beliefs or race of a people. an example would be the nazi's, did they eliminate the jews,no. have nazi's dissapeared, no. the point im trying to make is instead being in iraq losing troops why not focus more on our nations security or problems like our growing debt with china. I will vote for colbert if he makes it which i hope he does and stephen being the intelligent man he is will make a great leader for our country

COLBERT 08'

October 29, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  17. Sean - Dallas, Texas

This would be the only reason I would ever vote in the presidential elections. Too bad I don't live in SC.

October 29, 2007 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. ronnie - knoxville, tn.

any thread in the POLITICAL TICKER with the word Doritos in it shows how low we've sunk as a culture

October 29, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. Danielle, Lawrence Kansas

I love this, and I love Colbert for bringing attention to the election. Most of my friends (fresh voting age, we were 17 the last election) did not even start caring about the election until Colbert got involved. Now they watch him for entertainment value but then they seriously consider what other candidates are about. Props to Edwards, he knows the odds of him winning are very very slim, so props to him for getting involved with Colbert to excite the masses.

October 29, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  20. Scott, Minnesota

TO ALL OUT THERE THAT THINKS THAT JOKES AT A TIME LIKE THIS ARE FUNNY, REMEMBER RALPH NADER.NO MY CAP KEYS ARE NOT STUCK. AND I AM A 69 YEAR OLD DISABLED VETERAN. I HAVE SEEN HOW PEOPLE CAN BE DISTRACTED FROM THE REAL ISSUES BY JOKESTERS, AND MANY PEOPLE WILL VOTE FOR NUT JOBS. WE IN AMERICA ARE IN A CRISIS. WAKE UP PEOPLE

This old Hawk-codger is right: these nutjob-voters voted for Bush/Cheney... twice, I'm ashamed to say.

Thanks to the Rove/Cheney Lie machine, just look at how much the rest of the world hates the USA now.

October 29, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  21. Johnny Morton Illinois

WOW. A bunch of idiots post on here
    I AM WRISTSTRONG. for wrist injury awareness!!

also, The show the Office and John Stewart are not serious either

October 29, 2007 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. Ellicott City, MD

Lack of sense of humor is generally a sign of lack of education.

October 29, 2007 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. Terry, El Paso, TX

"a good democrat is a dead democrat" – Dan, roanoke

To Dan:
    The more traditional form of this phrase – and the comparison you are unwittingly making – is "The only good Indian is a dead Indian." This was attributed to Union Gen. Philip Sheridan of Civil War fame, though he denied ever having said it. No matter who first said it, it was repeated for a century with sincerity by white people. Newly freed black men were happy to kill Indians for a few dollars a month as US soldiers. You are still repeating a modified form of it now, a century and a half later.

Words have meaning, and the men who wished for dead Indians had often killed lots of them. They were not kidding; they were speaking with great precision. When you refer to your fellow citizens who support a Democratic candidate, I assume you don't really want to herd them onto reservations, starve them, and kill them. I assume you are actually speaking of the figurative death of their unpatriotic ideas, so that they might live life anew as a member of the one, true, patriotic party. That is to say, your party, Dan.

Venomous rhetoric is poisoning our democracy. Those who wish to speak thoughtfully about a topic, explore various sides of a question, and hear what others think are lost in the roar of shouted mindless cliches. I was a Communications major (don't start) at a backwater state college, but even I know that the first rule of public speaking is to have something to say.

Politics is not a team sport where our side tries to cheer louder and be ruder than their side. Politics in a democracy is a process of thoughtful discussion followed by careful decision-making. Politics – to good Liberals like me – requires civility in the public square. We not only want others to know our opinions, we also want to know the opinions of others. We do not want the majority to squash the rights of the minority in any area, so it is our patriotic duty to listen carefully to them. Political speech consists of listening and THINKING ABOUT WHAT YOU HEARD most of the time, then speaking thoughtfully and civilly when it is your turn.

When and if you read this, Dan, if you perceive it as a scolding then you have missed the point. Instead, it is a challenge.

October 29, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  24. Richard Dayton, OH

I'll only vote for Colbert if Jon Stewart is the VP, Dave Chapelle is the Secretary of State, Gallagher is Treasurer, Bill Mahr Defense Secretary, Jamie Kennedy CIA Director, Conan O'Brien as Press Secretary, Dennis Miller as Ambassador to Pappa New Guinea.

October 29, 2007 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. Cletus Honky, North Kalakalak

Like our political system and the idea of a true democracy ....

THIS IS ALL A JOKE FOLKS ... lighten up