October 29th, 2007

Giuliani highlights cancer battle in new ad

Giuliani and wife Judith picked pumpkins in New Hampshire over the weekend.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani highlights his successful battle with prostate cancer in a new radio ad out Monday, and claims a "socialized" healthcare system would have significantly decreased his chances of survival.

“I had prostate cancer, five, six years ago,” the former New York City mayor says in the radio ad set to air in New Hampshire. “My chance of surviving prostate cancer, and thank God I was cured of it, in the United States, 82 percent. My chances of surviving prostate cancer in England, only 44 percent under socialized medicine."

“You and I should be making the decisions about what kind of health care we get with our doctors, not with a government bureaucrat," Giuliani continues in the ad. "What we need to do is to give people a $15,000 deduction for a family, a $7,500 deduction for an individual so they can go out and buy their own health insurance.”

All the leading Democratic presidential candidates have proposed universal healthcare plans, a policy approach Giuliani has often referred to as "socialist."

Giuliani dropped out of the New York Senate race in the spring of 2000 after announcing he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He underwent successful surgery the following September.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Ads • New Hampshire • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Jim,Tarrytown,ny

Rude Rudi does not know what he is talking about.Yes most Doctors and insurance companies agree whith morons like rudi-they are making the money.But most Americans are"dying" to see a better health system than the one we have now or the one suggested by the unethical Giuliani.

October 30, 2007 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  2. Sam, IA

I always love this dodge. The ole give em a tax deduction scam. They know that the people who they are targeting these deductions to don't make enough to have that much of a tax burden. The sad fact is that in america you are more likely to survive because less people are diagnosed. Many are never seen until the end game has set in and the cancer has spread thoughout thier system thus the diagnoses is not simply prostate cancer.
    I don't see a large influx of Canandian migrant workers sneaking across the border to escape thier healthcare. Post your hate radio factoids, or should i say fictionoids.

October 30, 2007 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  3. Ken, Tucson, AZ

Those deductions that Rudy proposes assumes that everyone has a job that pays enough for those deductions to be used. If you have a family of four and earn less than $50,000 a year, the deductions are worthless.

October 30, 2007 04:03 am at 4:03 am |
  4. Pall Forloney, Riomaggiore, Italy

A little something about socialized medicine, it is not what you people think it is. You can not walk into the doctors office and say I want to have my problem taken care of. It will take months of paper work and checking into and the after a year they will tell you when you can go to the hospital. You need other insurance to carry you as well as socialized medicine. The real problem is that the doctors and hospitals charge to much for everything. I am going in to have a 5 hour operation on my hand next month. I will stay in the hospital for 3 days and the cost is 1,454.34 Euro total. Now you tell me where are you going to get this done in the US for this price? By the way this is being paid for by my extra insurance that I carry.
    So before you jump up for the govt. insurance, look be for you leep.

October 30, 2007 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  5. Mary V, OH

Are you kidding, I've lived in Canada with their health care program and you can have it. Why do you think so many Canadians cross into the US for the care they need but can't get there in a timely manner. That's why we moved back to the states!!!

October 30, 2007 04:42 am at 4:42 am |
  6. al, San Francisco, CA

What is the use of the $7500 income deduction on the tax return if you cannot afford to pay the medical expenses in the first place? Besides, the govt only partially subsidize the medical payments based on the person's marginal tax rate.

Caution: Giuliani spins and is an idiot.

October 30, 2007 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  7. therealist

So unless you are rich and white. -Jon

?? All the black people that I work with have the best healthcare in the world too. No, we're not rich. And no, we can not afford to fork over more tax dollars to a democrat nor do we want to fork over more tax dollars to a democrat for less healthcare service than we have right now. Period.

October 30, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  8. ronnie - knoxville, tn.

to those who think they can't afford medical ins.

Do you buy coffee everyday? That's 900.00 per year.

Do you have to go to first-run movies? That's 800.00 per year.

Do you eat meals out more than once per week? That's anywhere from $2,000.00 to $5,000.00 per year;

Do you buy one DVD per month? That's 300.00 to $500.00 per year.

Do you go through fast food places once or twice per week instead of making food yourself? That's from $700.00 to $1000.00 per year.

Do you drive a gas-guzzler? That's from $1200.00 to $3000.00 per year more than an energy efficient car.

Is there enough already taken out of your taxes on payday? Or should they take another ten per cent from your check for health care? Whether you cut back on the luxuries or they take more taxes, you're going to have to pay for health care. Wouldn't you rather not let the politicians decide who gets care and who is denied?

October 30, 2007 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  9. doremus jessup

Rudy, if you were a regular person in America you would know insurance companies simply won't insure many people, the very ones that need it most.
    A large "pool" of individuals, e.g. subscribers through a large company or institution benefit by reduced cost.
    How is "indivudual insurance" going to help those that aren't included under these catagories? Of course the insurance companies and large corporations would love to have their insurance obligations reduced by eliminating the peole that need it most because they now get a "tax break." Give the American people a break from your polical rhetoric. Your plan is designed to pander to the ignorant, appeal to the greedy insurance and corporate hogs while doing nothing to promote real health care and well being. Go back to defending NYC from terrorists and mobsters. They're nastier and meaner than the sick and crippled individual you're attacking with your nutty, greedy, misinformed plan.

October 30, 2007 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  10. Brandon, Tampa, FL

What bizarro universe is Rudy Guiliani living in?

October 30, 2007 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  11. Edw. J - Springfield Ma.

I think the government should work together with the private medical field to make it possible for giving the people the best of both worlds. I don't want some bureaucrat or govt employee making decisions about my health or making me wait in long lines.

October 30, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  12. Moe, NY

Ronnie – Knoxvill, Tn...the answer to your blog is NO to all of your questions. Glad you are healthy and obviously have and can afford health insurance, but there are over 46 million people in this country who cannot. Stop thinking of yourself, find some compassion for other people. Step into the real America...open your eyes and see what is going on or not as the case may be!

October 30, 2007 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Pat BGWA

Hey Ronnie Knoxville TN
    Answer is not to your questions- -except the gas guzzler. Can't Afford
    a new energy efficient car. How 'bout you trade with me? Since you know what all of these "LUXURIES" cost I'm sure you enjoy paying for them. Moron!

October 30, 2007 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  14. Unknown

All of you are such a bunch of know- it- alls. Think what you want, but you are way off course. You should never assume something you know nothing about.

October 30, 2007 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  15. Jeff, Richmond, VA

Giuliani IS cancer!

October 31, 2007 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  16. MIKE ADKINS,CHARLOTTE,NC

i'm happy for rudy that he recovered from prostate cancer but when are they going to do something about his brain tumor?

October 31, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  17. jon, chicago, il

anyone who thinks socialized medicine is a good idea shut up and go live in a country that does, it is not even an argument. for someone who cannot afford premiums, get a better job. If you can't get a better job. If you can't get a better job go to school. if you can't go to school because your stupid, why should i have to pay for your health care premiums via my tax dollar. I don't work for free, I work for myself and for my family. Taxes on most of my income are close to 40%, any higher and maybe i'll quit my business, quit providing jobs for others that puts food on their table, and collect welfare, and free health care. There needs to be incentive to work, wages and health care are a nice incentive.

November 30, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |