October 29th, 2007

Romney fires back at Thompson on Immigration

Romney files, then fires at Thompson.

CONCORD, New Hampshire (CNN) - Just hours before former Sen. Fred Thompson, R-Tennessee, filed for the New Hampshire primary, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney took aim at Thompson for criticizing him for not speaking out against “sanctuary city,” until recently and misrepresenting his position on immigration.

“As Governor I deputized our state police to be able to enforce immigration laws throughout the state and when a bill came to my desk saying that the children of illegal aliens were going to get a tuition break at school I vetoed that. I insisted on English immersions in our schools,” Romney said.

“So during the years we are talking about I was fighting to protect legal immigration and end illegal immigration. Sen. Thompson as I recall was a United States senator. What was he doing on this issue when he was in the Senate? I think he’s a Freddy come lately to the immigration issue and I think my record as someone who has fought to protect legal immigration but to stop illegal immigration stands up against anybody’s in the country.”

Romney reiterated his proposal to reign in federal funding to sanctuary cities, and added, he was glad Thompson had “bought on to the view that I espoused.”

Romney later gave credit to Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colorado, for the original idea.

–CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Mitt Romney • New Hampshire
  1. joseph, austin, tx

sanctuary cities should lose federal funding. how come the aclu wont fight for the minorities in these sanctuary cities, who dont want their city turned into a sanctuary, but when a city votes against illegal immigration the aclu is right there to fight it. I love how we extend more rights to illegals then our own citizens. Im all for immigration done legally, I have no sympathy for the plight of illegals, yes I know Im a racist.

October 29, 2007 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. Bobby,Manchester, NH

This guy is against everybody. I will never forget him likened Obama to Osama. Obviously we know the difference btw the two! What a candidate? You are a republican anyway and you are going nowhere. Remember your assitant governor of massachusets? She went nowhere with her Ruthless campaign, so are you!

October 29, 2007 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Bob, Seattle, WA

The 'silent majority', regardless of what they say for 'political correctness' will vote for that candidate the espouses legal, controlled immigration (just like the rest of the world) and denounces 'illegal immigration' and all those who aid and abet(sp) the phenomenon. Shame on the illegal immigrant and shame on those who aid the practice. Punishment is deserved by the illegal immigrant and those who aid the practive. Citizen or otherwise. No different than prostitution (which is essentially what illegal immigration is). Punish the prostitue AND the 'John'. We don't give discounts on tuition to universities for prostitutes and we shouldn't for illegal immigrants. Prostitutes must 'learn English' in order to thrive at their trade in the U.S. Prostitutes have to pay for their own medicinal needs. They neither pay into Social Security but if they die, their heirs do not collect from Social Security either. They do not use 'falsified social security number' or 'steal identities' in order to go to work. If you don't support prostituion then you shouldn't support illegal immigration.

October 29, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. xtina chicago IL

Romney is right on the money to restrict federal funds to states that harbor illegal immigrants. Why should we honest taxpayers fight an escalating bill for health care and services for people who aren't playing by the rules?

October 29, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  5. ashley rowell, foxworth, ms

Wake up Republicans. this is the man to support.

October 29, 2007 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  6. Charles, Jackson , Tennessee

I thought taxation without representation was over in this country, but as we all know, it's alive and well. As taxpayers we should not shoulder the burden of supporting illegal immigrants on any level. The Gov't will wake up when the people stop paying taxes. They give illegals more support than they do their own citizens who in turn foot the bill for illegals, and the American people are tired of this misrepresentation by our Gov't. We as a people should stop paying taxes until every illegal in this country is caught and deported.

October 31, 2007 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  7. Tom Dedham, Mass

Romney did exactly as he states here, the city in question was the "peoples republic of cambridge".

He is totally FOR LEGAL immigration and against ILLEGAL immigration, like many people of all colors and political parties.

October 31, 2007 11:39 am at 11:39 am |