October 29th, 2007

Tancredo puts all his chips on White House bid

Tancredo has decided not to run for a sixth Congressional term.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Rep. Tom Tancredo plans to retire from the House at the end of his term but will continue with his bid for the GOP presidential nomination, his office said Monday.

The story was first reported by the Rocky Mountain News, which said the 61-year-old Coloradan informed his staff Sunday night in a letter in which he said he feels he has accomplished what he had hoped to accomplish by raising immigration as an issue.

He added that he wants to spend time with his five grandchildren.

Tancredo, who was elected to Congress in 1998, was campaigning Monday in Iowa.

Filed under: Tom Tancredo
  1. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

Get him some dip for those chips.

October 29, 2007 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  2. Daniel, NY

The district is very Republican, and even as an open seat it is not about to join these house rankings of the most vulnerable house seats.

October 29, 2007 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  3. Dave, Alpharetta GA

Accomplished what? This guy can barely utter words coherantly in GOP debates. He makes Bush look as eloquent JFK (no easy feat!) and he still thinks he is qualified to be president?

He is PERFECT for the Republicans!

October 29, 2007 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  4. Terry, El Paso, TX

Another one bites the dust
    Another one bites the dust
    And another one gone, and another one gone
    Another one bites the dust
    Hey, Im gonna get you too
    Another one bites the dust

October 29, 2007 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Kate, Aurora CO

While I seriously disagree with Tancredo on many different issues and I in no way think he is an appropriate choice for the presidency, his ideas on illegal immigration were right on. I think it is sad he was labled a racist because he (and the majority of Americans) think illegal immigration is wrong. When officials are sworn into office they swear to uphold the constitution and the laws of America. Like it or not sneaking into a country is ILLEGAL regardless of the person's overall intentions. A person who has snuck into this country bypassing all the immigration processes is an ILLEGAl immigrant. Not UNDOCUMENTED but ILLEGAl. An ILLEGAl immigrant should not be granted any right given to legal american citizens such as drivers licenses or public services, including free public education and healthcare. Until the laws are changed it is illegal to sneak into a country and our officials should be upholding those laws and enforcing immigration laws. Don't be fooled into thinking the Clintons or Bushs' have compassion for the illegals. They only want a cheap labor force that is nothing more than legal slavery so their corporate lobbyists are happy.

October 29, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  6. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

Despising Hispanics isn't much to build a campaign on. It's like Lester Maddox had a twin.

October 29, 2007 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  7. Mary, Beaver, PA

Tancredo is right-on in his views about illegal immigration. Most Americans feel exactly the same as he does. Saying that he "despises" Hispanics because he does not support blanket amnesty for those who violate our borders is nothing more than exaggeration.

I can't blame the illegals for trying to make a better life for themselves and their families, but I DO blame the Mexican government for refusing to improve the living conditions of its people and making it OUR problem that it has nothing better to offer its people except poverty. Further, I am outraged by the cynical rich in THIS country who masquerade their exploitation of illegals under a false face of compassion. Of course, they would never admit that they favor illegals only because they want to continue to pay poverty wages to their own employees, nannies, housekeepers, and gardeners.

Those who have no problem with illegal immigration should have more sympathy for those who are going through hell trying to immigrate to this country LEGALLY. While those trying to immigrate legally are put through security checks and medical exams to see whether they are risks to society, the illegals come in with their criminal and health records undetected. How quickly supporters of illegal amnesty forget the War on Terrorism when they are dreading the possibility that they might have to pay a living wage to the people who work for them!

October 29, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. MIKE ADKINS,CHARLOTTE,NC

i anticiapted that tom tancredo might run for president. so i moved from colorado to north carolina. i seceded.

October 29, 2007 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Dan, Illinois

Tom Tancredo is the REAL DEAL! People who talk poorly of him are obviously not educated on him. Tom is a true American who only wants the best for the American people. He will do anything to protect us and this is what we need in a President. Tom had some very successful campaign stops this weekend in Iowa. The word is that Tom is starting to really gain momentum. Get ready for an interesting race for president. I guarantee that Tom could be Hillary in the election. After you get to hear him speak and see that every word he says is from the heart. Not from note cards he has been trying to memorize all day. WAKE UP AMERICA!! Our country is falling apart in front of our eyes and Tom Tancredo is the only candidate to change this. http://www.teamtancredo.com

This is our culture, fight for it.
    This is our flag, pick it up.
    This is our country, take it back.
    -Tom Tancredo, '08 Presidential Candidate

October 29, 2007 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  10. Dave ,Kansas City Mo.

I totally agree with him on Illegal Immigration , secure the border and start the deportation of these Criminal scumbags!!!

October 29, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. Rafael Richmond Virginia

So this is news?

October 29, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  12. Craig Louisville KY

The fact of the matter is that 1st generation Latinos vote 85 percent Democratic and 2nd generation vote 75 for the Dems. By most accounts by 2028 Texas will be a blue state if theses voting trends continue. Look at Colorado a State that #41 won by 19 points in 1988 and his son could only win by 3 ½ points in 2004. If the Republicans continue to be seen as the build a wall throw them out party they will be confined to a regional party of the Deep South. As a proud liberal I say keep talking Tom keep talking.

October 29, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. AJ, Chicago IL

Tancredo is trying to go out in a blaze of glory. Not running for another House term is his choice. Now I wish he follow Brownback and end his Presidential run. Hearing Tancredo speak (or try to form clear and coherent sentences) in the GOP debates was just horrible. Next on the list for quitting should be Mike Gravel for the Democrats.

October 29, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  14. Kevin, Castle Rock, CO

I am a Republican in his district and many of us are glad that he is gone finally. He stands against President Bush in many issues and he made our party looks like an anti-immgration party.

He is the liability for our party to regain the Colorado state senate and state house. He is finally leaving and our party has hope next year.

October 29, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  15. Marvin Gill, ID

We need Tom in the white house soo bad. Apparently some people think that the issue of illegal immigration should never be brought up and anyone who does is a racist. Tancredo is reflecting on what most Americans are thinking and if he had more airtime, i'm sure would be close to the top in the polls. GO TOM!!!

October 29, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. Trout Orange, CA

Dude has as much chance as the Rockies vs. Boston. Give it up and save your cash and reputation. Unlike the Rockies.

October 29, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. John, Clearwater FL

Good to hear that Rep Tancredo will be able to devote his full attention to running for President.

This election is so critical to the future of this country and the illegal immigration issue is the most important domestic issue.

The more I hear the socialists and those who view themselves as elitists criticize him about non-content related factors the more I realize just how powerful his message is. He is speaking to and for the average AMERICAN.

This nation needs an America First President and Rep Tancredo is that candidate.

Tancredo for a Safe, Secure & Prosperous America

October 29, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. Mark, Springfield MO

I have to agree with you on the country falling apart in front of our eyes.

It started when the "No Tax, Follow No Law, Lie on Everything, Spend Like No Tomorrow" Republican Party gained control of both the Congress and Presidency. It has been a down hill slide into hell ever since. The Democrats haven't been much better since they gave away their SPINE and have never tried to grow a new one.

I am an Independent and voted both Republican and Democrat based upon the person running. But after what I have seen the Republicans do to this once great country I doubt I will ever vote for another Republican again. It's just not worth the risk to our nation anymore. The Republican Party is going to have to make some massive fundamental changes and become a party for the American People again and not the Special Interests and Ultra Right Wing.

October 29, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Jack J. Woehr, Golden, Colorado

As the Libertarian candidate who ran against Mr. Tancredo in 2004 and 2006, I can tell you that I bet your headline is wrong: The Hon. Tom is not going to "put all his chips on White House bid". He's going to run for the nomination for the U.S. Senate seat opening up.

October 29, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. BG, Littleton, CO

Living in Tom's district, he is an idiot who does not deserve our support for President or the House of Reps. This being a safe republican district, I'm sure the next one won't be much better.

October 29, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. Matt, Chicago

Hey Dan – What is our culture again?

I'm 3rd generation Irish-american. My fiance is 1st generation French-African. Please enlighten me with our shared culture.

To Tancredo & his blind, 1-issue apostles:

Take your xenophobia and dont let it hit you on the way out.

October 29, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Chris, Highlands Ranch, CO

While I won't miss being represented by this huge embarrassing failure, I shudder to think about the next huge embarrassing failure the GOP birdbrains around here will come up with to replace him. I'd like to see a Democrat elected around here, but I won't hold my breath.

October 29, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

"I guarantee that Tom could be Hillary in the election."

It's like Open Mike Night at the asylum.

October 29, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. Dan, Illinois

Hey Matt, the culture of America is one that people obey the laws, speak English and are actually proud to be an American. I don't feel like I see that hardly anywhere anymore especially when you get into the subject of illegal immigrants.

They are ILLEGAL since they BROKE THE LAW. Why is this so hard to understand?? What examples are we trying to set by saying that it is okay to break our law to immigrants who are trying to come to America the right way and also the American children.

In the words of Tom Tancredo, being bilingual is a good thing but a bilingual country is a bad thing. I can not agree more. There is a story on Tom's website http://www.teamtancredo.com. that tells of a white woman who was looking for tube socks at a Walmart. She asked a couple employees where they were but they all responded with, "No English." This lady then found a black woman who worked there and as they started to walk to find the tube socks, the white lady said I couldn't find anyone who spoke English to help me with this. The black woman then said, "You know, I knew one day something would bring us together." This is a reason why English should be the official language of America. So, we can all communicate together!

Matt you are PRIME EXAMPLE of my last point. People are not proud to be Americans anymore. You even said you are a 3rd generation Irish-American. I am the same but you know what?? I AM AN AMERICAN!! Not an Irish-American. We have so many people who want to come live in this country but they don't even want to be called an American. That is just crazy to me. God Bless America! If you love America as much as I do, I sure hope you check out Tom Tancredo and vote for him for President.

Thanks!

October 29, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. lui, Miami Florida

He wants to spend time in the looney house....

October 29, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |