October 30th, 2007

Richardson admits he is a dark horse

Richardson files in New Hampshire

CONCORD, New Hampshire (CNN) - Moments after filing for the New Hampshire primary Tuesday, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson acknowledged he is a “dark horse” to win his party’s nomination, but added that Granite State voters have a history of backing this kind of candidate.

“I feel confident,” Richardson said. “I feel that we’ve got momentum. I like New Hampshire. The fact that it likes dark-horses and underdogs. This race is not over.”

Richardson, who consistently places fourth in national and New Hampshire polls, boasted that he had predicted a Red Sox victory at the last Democratic presidential debate, and he proceeded to make another clairvoyant attempt.

“I’m also going to predict that I’m going to end up in the top three in New Hampshire,” he said to a crowd of cheers.

Richardson said that his momentum could not be “tabulated” by poll numbers and referenced positive recognition from voters, an increase in volunteers, added endorsements and new advertisements as metrics that his campaign is gaining traction.

“I feel that my momentum is increasing, my message is getting across of change and experience, I’m keeping my campaign positive and I can feel the surge,” he said.

Still, Richardson said he hopes to “peak at the end” and noted a January primary date would be more beneficial to his campaign.

“I’m kind of preferring January 8, because I need enough time to move up,” Richardson said. “But either way, I’m ready. We’re ready.”

- CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Bill Richardson • New Hampshire
  1. Chana Jacobsen Brooklyn, New York

If the Presidential race gets closer than the polls currently state (which it will) the Hispanic vote will be extremely important in a close race and there's no doubt in my mind that Hillary is going to choose Richardson as her running mate to gain the Hispanic vote.

October 30, 2007 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. alamoannie, floresville, tx

Governor Richardson is an honest, experienced man. It seems to me he should be everyone's choice. He is the man that can restore integrity to government.

October 30, 2007 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. Pat Weaver melbourne fl

My question to CNN is why would you even bother writing about this. How about printing the picture obama not putting his hand over his heart refusing to pledge allegence to the American Flag while Hillary and the others on the stage with him did. You talk about a story wow that is a story but woe to the American people CNN will not print that story. Come on guys you are better then this. Start being real reporters. Gain some respect back from the people by printing real news.

October 30, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. Bob, Seattle, WA

If you have ever really listened to Mr. Richardson, you easily can detect that he has been doing this for a very long time. He is very 'practiced' at ad-libbing on the fly, pandering to the crown, preaching to the choir, shifting in mid-stream to the applause. Very smooooooooooth. Very Clintonesque.......... Oh brother, we need for of this kind of politician.

October 30, 2007 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. josh

If "dark horse" is some racist remark about his hispanic heratidge, I don't like it one bit!

October 30, 2007 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  6. Howard Hewlett

Dude, I hope you are kidding! Dark horse is a term used to descibe one who is unlikely to win and nothing more.

October 30, 2007 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  7. Michael Dummerston, VT

"Dark horse" is a political term that has nothing to do with race. It is the opposite of the recognized champion who comes riding in on a white horse and usually ends up being the candidate people select as a compromise.

October 30, 2007 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  8. BigHorse

No one claim to be a "dark horse" .. it just something to happens in politics. Just ask James K. Polk.

October 30, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  9. Pee Wee Herman

No, I'm a dark horse for president! I declared it, so it must be true!

October 30, 2007 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. pat huntington ny

Richardson, that's racist! Calling yourself that!

October 30, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. Steve Peoria, IL

OMG ! Does Al Sharpton know that in politics we use the term dark horse?

October 30, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  12. Bill fan, Nashua NH

A dark horse is "A dark horse candidate is one who is nominated unexpectedly, without previously having been discussed or considered as a likely choice. Often a dark horse is selected as a compromise when other, more prominent candidates' factions cannot come to an agreement. This metaphoric expression originally alluded to an unknown horse winning a race and was so used in a novel by Benjamin Disraeli (The Young Duke, 1831)." Anyway who is that girl standing behind Richardson?

October 30, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. AJ, Chicago IL

You all must be kidding. Of course the term "dark horse" has negative racial connotations. Why is the "dark horse" the loser and the "white horse" the winner. Just because Bill R. doesn't recognize it as such just makes him naive. The term underdog would have been preferable. Bill Richardson's plan is too simply finish in the top 3 slots in Iowa and New Hampshire and get a VP node from his Presidential choice Hillary.

October 30, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. J. Denver, CO

You know this country has racial tensions...because people make it that way. This has nothing to do with race and those of who think it does need to step back and realize not everything is about race!

October 30, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. joseph, austin, tx

Josh,
    YES "dark horse" does refer to his hispanic heratidge, its a term we whites give to the "dark" skinned presidential candidates. Thats why Barak is always refered to as a "dark horse." FYI

October 30, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. josh

Howard Hewlett, et al,
    Yes, I'm joking! Finally soneone one the ticker gets a joke.

October 30, 2007 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |