October 31st, 2007

Kucinich: I saw a UFO

Watch Kucinich explain his UFO experience.

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) - So if there are space aliens, can they register to vote?

Perhaps Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich is courting their support, discussing a UFO sighting in Tuesday night’s debate.

He confirmed an account in actress Shirley MacLaine’s book that he saw a UFO at her home in Washington state. Though he didn’t address the rest of her description, that the Ohio congressman “felt a connection in his heart and heard directions in his mind.”

Kucinich said to moderator Tim Russert’s question, “It was an unidentified flying object, OK? It's, like, it's unidentified. I saw something.”

To laughter, he added, “I'm also going to move my campaign office to Roswell, New Mexico, and other one in Exeter, New Hampshire, OK? And also, you have to keep in mind that more - that Jimmy Carter saw a UFO and also that more people in this country have seen UFOs than I think approve of George Bush's presidency.”

Rival candidate Barack Obama, asked if he believes in life on other planets, responded, “You know, I don't know. And I don't presume to know. What I know is there is life here on Earth, and that we're not attending to life here on Earth.”

“We're not taking care of kids who are alive and unfortunately are not getting health care," Obama continued. "We're not taking care of senior citizens who are alive and are seeing their heating prices go up. So, as president, those are the people I will be attending to first."

"There may be some other folks on their way," he added.

The Democratic presidential candidates next square off November 15 at CNN's debate in Las Vegas.

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Dennis Kucinich
  1. Bob, San Francisco, CA

This was a stupid question to ask at a presidential candidate's "debate", especially when so many crucial issues need to be addressed.
    That said, what's the big deal? Like a few previous posters have already mentioned, Bush talks to God. That's just as preposterous as seeing a UFO. And Dennis actually handled it with humor. He's got some good ideas, but he's definitely too wacky to be taken serious as a presidential candidate. Obama did just fine!

October 31, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. Jonathan Simeone Seattle, Wa

The saddest part of this is that the Democratic candidates had their best debate of the year last night, but CNN refuses to cover it, because it was on another network. Instead, CNN talks about the dumbest question of the night and the most out of touch candidate in the race. Way to go CNN! Thanks for helping make sure that the public gets all of the needed information to make a good choice in the primaries.

October 31, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. ET, Cumberland, Maryland

Kucinich really expects that we will give him serious consideration during the primary?

ET call home, Kook-cinich go home !!!!

October 31, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. Jake, Dallas, TX

Hey CNN here is a news story that is right up your alley if you know what I mean...

October 31, 2007 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  5. Moe, NY

I think Kucinich and MacLaine should send these aliens to New York State and our present Governor will issue them a driver's license.

October 31, 2007 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. Lee M, Somerset, NJ

Poor Dennis! Too bad he wont be able to return home with his friends until Hale Bopp returns in the year 4380.

October 31, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  7. Johny, Nebraska

How can he know that it was not be a meteorology balloon ?

October 31, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. Ralf

Yeah, but is there "Intelligent" life on Earth? Apparently not.

October 31, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  9. Mike, Columbus, OH

Keeping in mind that this is a blog and that people have the right to their own opinions, I feel a connection in my heart and mind that is forcing me to write this.. Dennis...buddy!!! I can be as accepting as the next guy but WOW! A UFO, huh? Might it have been an airplane? A satelite?

Move along, Mr. Kucinich.. We don't buy crazy here.. Maybe they do on the planet from which your UFO hovered...

October 31, 2007 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  10. Max, Boston, MA

Seeing an unidentified flying object is not equivalent to encountering a space alien. It's seeing something that's flying, asking "What is that?", and not having an answer.

I question the mental health of those who can't comprehend that.

October 31, 2007 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  11. Ginger, Cleveland, Ohio

Mr. K–You are something else.

October 31, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. m T

Typical of the corrupt mainstream media to avoid real news and issues and instead fling this garbage.

Where is the news about Sibel Edmonds wanting an interview? She just offered to break state secret gag orders and name ALL the names that came up in translation at her position of the FBI prior to 9/11 of the corruption and compromised people still in the U.S.government and Congress.

P.S. CNN learn to use a spell checker or hire someone who can spell "laughter."

October 31, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  13. Ronson Manchild, Colorado

I have lost respect for Tim Russert and NBC News. The UFO question was unfair, unrelated, and a complete waste of valuable time that could have been used to address important issues.

I have seen UFO's, my Republican father has seen UFO's, tens of thousands have reported them, and it is ridiculous to argue against the existence of that which is not identified.

The important thing is that Dennis Kucinich believes in the United States of America, he has the experience to lead, and he shares the values of those who want real change.

I thought Tim Russert had personal integrity, but in this example, he clearly let down the public and made himself look foolish.

Get real America, our country's future lies in the balance.

October 31, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. JKap, Schaumburg, IL

I think that it is absurd and narrow-minded to believe that somehow in this dust cloud in which we exist that other forms of intelligent life do not exist. When I think of the infinite proposition of the physical universe as we may or may not perceive it, I tend to think that it would be impossible that intelligent life on Earth is a random, one-in-infinity occurance.

As far as intelligent life visiting Earth, I tend to believe that there is an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence that suggests that extra-terrestrials have visited and continue to visit this planet. Hell, a UFO was reported at O'Hare Airport just a year ago.

October 31, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  15. X

UFO sightings are most likely from this planet and are classified black ops military planes. Read statements from former Skunkworks director; read about Lockheed, Boeing, and others' work with planes/crafts that use magnetics as a form of propulsion.

2words: Phoenix Lights

October 31, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  16. Mike, Cleveland, OH

healthcare benefits from Wal-Mart??

Wal-Mart's Health Care Plan Fails to Cover Over 775,000 Employees

Wal-Mart reported in January 2006 that its health insurance only covers 43% of their employees. Wal-Mart has approximately 1.39 million US employees.

That is only selective heatlh care

October 31, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  17. JZ, Omaha, NE

This guy is a moron! He questions our great leader George W. Bush about his mental capacity. Thanks God for W, I least the wacko is a Congressman!

October 31, 2007 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Sophie, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Unidentified Flying Object means just that. It doesn't necessarily mean aliens or flying saucers. Now the possiblity of their being other intelligent life forms somewhere else in the universe pretty high. How could we be the only planet in this HUGE place that was able to create life? Now the idea that they visit us is a little far fetched but hey, no one really knows. Who are we to judge? Just because something extraordinary doesn't happen to everyone doesn't mean it didn't to someone else. Give the guy a break.

October 31, 2007 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Linda McMichael, Marietta, GA

And this is the idiot that questions the President's mental health???

October 31, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. frank, spring hill, fl.

oh my god, a candidate who tells the truth regardless of what people think of him? too bad for dennis the world is not ready for honesty.

October 31, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. JFP, Chicago, IL

Jimmy Carter and John F. Kennedy also said they saw a UFO, what is the big deal.

October 31, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. Wendy, Yakima, WA

I love Dennis Kucinich. He's my favorite!

October 31, 2007 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  23. kenny atl ga

and he questions the presidents mental stability?

October 31, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  24. Jeremy Vaeni, New York, NY

The piece that everyone missed is this: Even if he's joking about moving his offices to New Mexico and Exeter, New Hampshire, well... almost everyone knows what Roswell is in reference to, but you have to be fairly well-versed in ufology to know that Exeter is the spot where Betty & Barney Hill were abducted. That abduction became the template, if you will, of modern abduction accounts.

Anyone who scoffs at this stuff doesn't know what they're talking about. Listen to authentic alien abductees in discussion at blog.valiens.com and then tell me we're all nuts. I promise you we're not all tin-foil-hatters.

October 31, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  25. Pam Holt Los Angeles, CA

Who hasn't seen something flying in the sky that they couldn't identify at one time or another in their life?

Any other politician would lie to try to keep from doing damage to their political career, but you won't hear Dennis Kucinich lie. How refreshing!

I guess the critics would rather have a President that lies to the people? Well, that's what we're used to, right? Well, I am certainly ready for an honest President that can't be bought, and the only choice for Peace-loving, free-thinking Democrats is Kucinich.

October 31, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |