October 31st, 2007

Kucinich: I saw a UFO

Watch Kucinich explain his UFO experience.

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) - So if there are space aliens, can they register to vote?

Perhaps Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich is courting their support, discussing a UFO sighting in Tuesday night’s debate.

He confirmed an account in actress Shirley MacLaine’s book that he saw a UFO at her home in Washington state. Though he didn’t address the rest of her description, that the Ohio congressman “felt a connection in his heart and heard directions in his mind.”

Kucinich said to moderator Tim Russert’s question, “It was an unidentified flying object, OK? It's, like, it's unidentified. I saw something.”

To laughter, he added, “I'm also going to move my campaign office to Roswell, New Mexico, and other one in Exeter, New Hampshire, OK? And also, you have to keep in mind that more - that Jimmy Carter saw a UFO and also that more people in this country have seen UFOs than I think approve of George Bush's presidency.”

Rival candidate Barack Obama, asked if he believes in life on other planets, responded, “You know, I don't know. And I don't presume to know. What I know is there is life here on Earth, and that we're not attending to life here on Earth.”

“We're not taking care of kids who are alive and unfortunately are not getting health care," Obama continued. "We're not taking care of senior citizens who are alive and are seeing their heating prices go up. So, as president, those are the people I will be attending to first."

"There may be some other folks on their way," he added.

The Democratic presidential candidates next square off November 15 at CNN's debate in Las Vegas.

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Dennis Kucinich
  1. Michael, Seattle, WA

haha,it's amazing how many people applauded Kucinich for questioning Bush's mental health, meanwhile the congressman is wrapping foil around his head to try to keep the aliens from reading his mind.

October 31, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. richard, virginia

of course cnn doesn't mention anywhere how he has risen to 7% in the national poll and came in 2nd yesterday at a leading straw poll in California.

They also seem to have failed to miss what Kucinich said previously to the UFO account. The whole night, he was the only candidate candid enough and ballsy enough to stick to his word and lay his policies on the table.

There is no doubt in my mind that MSNBC used this question as a way to skew his debate and his personal views. Can't believe the biased media that goes on in this country. Hey CNN what about all the extremely legit claims Kucinich made earlier throughout the night?

UGH! American politics, cliche and predictable as usual.

October 31, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. Kim, Peabody MA

Any you wonder why the American People have a 22% confidence level in our Government...

Vote Pete Grasso for President in 2008.

http:/www.GrassoForPresident.com

October 31, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  4. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Oh....Dennis.....wrong admission at the wrong time, babe!!!

October 31, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. Jaq Phule

Misquote, mischaracterize, misunderstand for us, okay?

Yep. Smear the antiwar guy for seeing a flying object which he could not identify. Shall we even begin talking about the insane things that Bush believes? Clinton? Biden?

CNN, you're fired. I'm cancelling my RSS feed, removing the link from my favorites, not watching your news channel, and advising everyone I know to do the same. Congratulations, you've joined FAUX on my too-stupid-even-for-journalism list.

Advertisers take note! I shan't be the last.

October 31, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. Ryan, Provo, UT

There is nothing to criticize here. He said that he saw an unidentified flying object. He didn't claim it was full of little green Martians or anything like that. He just said he saw something he couldn't identify.

I saw a UFO once. It was simply a flying object that was pretty different from planes I'd seen before and to this day I still don't know for sure what it was. I doubt it was anything extraterrestrial, it was probably a military test plane or something but it was by definition a UFO.

Lots of people have seen things like that and it shouldn't disqualify anyone for the position of President.

October 31, 2007 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  7. Richard Anderson, Detroit MI

This was too easy. I knew the answer before I even looked. Only because he acts and talks like he's from another planet. And, I bet the one he saw was the one that dropped him off as they flew away as fast as they could! Like dumping out the trash! LOL

October 31, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  8. I Am Snow, Tampa Florida

I think what he actually saw was a giant spleen with eleven elbows flying across the horizon smelling the tulips!

October 31, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. John

Big deal. Watch the documentary channels' UFO specials. When they bring in ex-military or aviation contractors, they'll say that experimental or secret military aircraft (like the SR-71, F-117 and other planes we didn't want our enemies to know about) are often described by those without clearance as Unidentified Flying Objects, because that's the only way they can be described. UFO does not equal alien spaceship, but it's certainly a good smokescreen for top secret development and flights.

Now if he said he saw a UFO that landed on his lawn and it had little green aliens with tentacles staring at him through the windows, then I'd have to wonder...

October 31, 2007 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. Doug, New Jersey

Dennis did see a UFO!!!

After the democratic debate he saw Hillary take off on her broom. :)

October 31, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  11. Kenny

Space Aliens? Don't you mean Undocumented Interplanetary Immigrants?

October 31, 2007 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. John, West Chester, PA 19380

lol ... always thought this guy was an alien.. wonder if he is illegal

October 31, 2007 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  13. Dan, Seattle, WA

I was hoping Dennis would pull out a pocket UFO and explain the intricacies of alien life. What else will he pull out of his pocket?

October 31, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. Jaik , chicago, IL

I know a neo-con extremist who also saw an actual flying saucer, embarresses the crap out of him to admit it

October 31, 2007 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  15. mark wilkes barre pa

dennis should run for president of mars or better yet way out there ,, pluto. then his buddy shirly could really cover some distance when she astro projects her self over for a visit,, beam me up dennis !!!! dont throw stones at glass houses dennis, you might see a UFO in the reflection

October 31, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. Matt, Columbus, OH

You guys need to calm down. This whole thing is getting blown way out or proportion. It was a stupid and unfair question and he was just joking around about it. Kucinich is the most honest candidate up there and before you start questioning his sanity, find out the issues he stands for. His ideas are progressive and could take this country in a positive direction. STOP LETTING THE MEDIA DECIDE WHO WILL BE PRESIDENT FOR US!

October 31, 2007 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. Karen,ny

Just because YOU haven't seen them that doesn't MEAN that OTHER PEOPLE haven't seen them. You can't see AIR but it's there. You can't see GOD but you think he's there. I can't stand it when people ridicule others because they don't believe. People aren't going to make up something like that so people will laugh at you. He was honest enough to say what he saw and I give him alot of credit for doing that. I respect honesty!!! If more people were honest in this world it would be a much better place to live.

October 31, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  18. J. Cooper, Dayton Ohio

Dear Dennis, you need to work closer with your campaign strategist...If this was a last ditch effort to raise ratings I think you blew it... Good luck!

October 31, 2007 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  19. Mitch, Eureka, CA

A person who claims to see something in the sky that he could not identify is not automatically crazy. People beleive and see diffrent things. Now if he started using tax payers money to investigate these UFO's then thats a diffrent story.

October 31, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. Reggie, Jonestown, TX

Folks, he saw an unidentified flying object, not extra-terrestrials. Can you tell the difference between a helicopter and an airplane at 20 miles?...at night? Probably not. Guess what? That makes it a ufo.

October 31, 2007 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. Cable King Pittsburgh PA

DC is an idealist who has SOME good things to say and of course he is also a goof (not dangerous like some other goofs). More than the aforementioned he can also be entertaining!

October 31, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  22. trent porter, tx

wow, this is the second biggest reason not to take Dennis Kucinich seriously. the first reason is his gun-grabbing ideas. what a fool

October 31, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. Uwe Warkholdt, Elliot Lake, Northern Ontario, Canada

I think it would be very conceited to think that we are the only inhabited planet in this entire universe.

For someone with his political ambitions to admit to this with the possibility that some folks might think he is a "nut", I believe he saw something that is unexplained. Yet what he saw might have been a natural phenomenon and not from outer space.

But then again it might have been. After all it is Halloween

October 31, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  24. EUNICE, MARYLAND, U.S.A.

I told you so. He said it with his own mouth that if nothing is wrong with Bush then, there is something wrong with him (Kucinich) and here goes the answer to his question. We have proof that something is mentally wrong with this man Kucinich. He is such a looser. That is why he is so bitter toward our Great President George W. Bush. God bless President Bush.

October 31, 2007 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  25. J. Cooper, Dayton Ohio

With respect to DK's UFO experience-Apparently the following is an abridged account of his quote within the Shirley book, “...felt a connection in his heart and heard directions in his mind.” I'm not saying that he didn't see something, however, I think everyone should be just a little curious as what the 'voices' told him to do...

October 31, 2007 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |