November 1st, 2007

Bush: Cheney's Darth Vader for Halloween

President Bush suggested Wednesday the vice president is going as Darth Vader this Halloween.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Even Vice President Dick Cheney is dressing up for Halloween - according to President Bush.

Speaking before a Grocery Manufacturers Association gathering Wednesday, Bush suggested his No. 2 is going as "Star Wars" nemesis Darth Vader this year - even though he's not wearing a costume.

"This morning I was with the vice president," Bush joked. "I was asking him what costume he was planning. He said, 'Well I'm already wearing it,' and then he mumbled something about the dark side of the force."

Cheney has often been likened to the infamous character, most recently by Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton at a fundraiser in September.

"You can always tell when the Republicans are getting restless, because the Vice President’s motorcade pulls into the Capitol, and Darth Vader emerges," the New York senator said.

Cheney himself addressed the comparison earlier this month, telling the Institute for Near East Policy, "Most of you knew me long before anyone called me Darth Vader.”

"I've been asked if that nickname bothers me, and the answer is, no," Cheney added then. "After all, Darth Vader is one of the nicer things I've been called recently."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Dick Cheney • President Bush
  1. Jonathan Willis Cockeysville, MD

Oh, happy day!! Hillary was exsposed last night as the in-experienced fence rider that she is and EVEN CNN is reporting on the good news from Iraq. The jerks protesting war dead lost $2.9 million. Now, to top it off, Cheney and the President use Halloween to mock the upsurd wacko name calling and rub the liberals faces in the mud!! Oh, happy day! If I'm hit by a bus on the way home, at least I'll die with a smile on my face, knowing there is justice somewhere!!

October 31, 2007 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. Steve, Los Angeles CA

Wow! An honest self assement of the Bush administration!!!

Must be time to lace up the old ice skates in Diablo country!!

October 31, 2007 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  3. Scott, Cincinnati OH

I think they should both go trick or treating as a corpse. I'll bet their polling numbers go up if people think their dead.

October 31, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. Dick Cheney, Hell

Hmm... Looks like CNNs credibility has gone out the window, as it models itself after the hard line censorship policies of Communist China.

I've also noticed that stories about Republican scandals and Iraq (safe bet neither of those have ended) are visibly absent! Pardon me if I don't use my real name or EMAIL address. I wouldn't want CNN to turn that over to the Repuclican National Comittee lest I be put on a "terrorist watch list"!

Thank you for your comment. Comments are moderated by CNN and will not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

October 31, 2007 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. Sam, Plymouth, MN

Heh...did anyone else see when Lynne Cheney appeared on the Daily Show and gave John Stewart a Darth Vader action figure?

October 31, 2007 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. PLC, Washington, DC

If Cheney is Darth Vadar, does that mean Bush is Emperor Palpatine???

October 31, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  7. Melissa, Indianapolis , IN

I think him dressing as the Evil Emperor would be more appropriate. We all know the real power behind the evil. Bush is Vader- a person who quests to be more powerful than all others, but needs help to do it.

May the force be with us...

October 31, 2007 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. Steven, Kansas City, Kansas

Personally I think he should have put on a tinhat and gone as Ron Paul

October 31, 2007 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  9. Christian, Tampa FL

Heck, I think Dick Cheney would make a scarier costume!

October 31, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. Seth Vick

Hmm. Does this mean that Dick Chaney will come back to the light side, i.e. become a bleeding heart liberal right after Barack Obama cuts his hand off in a daring lightsaber fight in front of Carl Rove, who gets chucked into the pit of lightning kept in the center of the White House used to destroy the Constitution? Now that's a movie I would pay to see. The good guys win in the end!

October 31, 2007 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. Jonah, Portland, OR

This a bald face attempt by Cheney to give himself a kinder public appearance. We will not be fooled!

October 31, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. stop the SPP

He should dress as a Rockefeller NWO PUPPET!

October 31, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. Steve, Columbia, MO

"This is how liberty dies - with thunderous applause."

October 31, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  14. Manny San Diego Ca.

Quite appropiate and in that sense surely Mr. Bush will dress up as the emperor. Senseless celebration, senseless fact. decaying empire. what a joke.

October 31, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  15. Mark S. , New Orleans, Louisiana

That's such a cute political fluff piece about two guys who lied thousands of people to their deaths.

October 31, 2007 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. Phil Chicago, Ill

Hillary as Chewbacca

October 31, 2007 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  17. Mike, New Orleans, Louisiana

Are you freakin kidding me? Bush and Cheney are clowning around at a time when their approval ratings at its lowest. New Orleans is drowning in crime and broken infrastructure because of federal red tape and these idiots are laughing and carrying on

October 31, 2007 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  18. Rico

And I bet Darth Vader wishes he could come back and kick the murder Chenney's butt. Chenney is such a joke! Hope he enjoys running his secret societies!

October 31, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. Olivia Martinez

Does that make Bush the Emperor?

October 31, 2007 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  20. jmellen

Fine with me. If I remember, the story ends with Return of the Democrat . . . oh wait, that was Jedi but close enough.

October 31, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  21. Brian, Orlando, Florida

At least he admits that he is dark and twisted. If only the Republicans will open their eyes.

Nope not going to happen they enjoy torture, death and destruction better.

October 31, 2007 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  22. JLT

Hey all you ignoble Cheney haters. This is a prime example of Dick Cheney's class and your base hate-mongering.

October 31, 2007 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. Jeff Phoenix, AZ

Who do we talk to about getting this guy tried for war crimes?

October 31, 2007 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. Jason Philadelphia, Pa

This is all very funny.. A few weeks ago Comedy Central had a show called little Bush. In this show little Cheyneys father was Darth Vader!

October 31, 2007 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  25. Marco, USA WILL SAVE THE WORLD

Jeff,

You can contact the League Against Imaginary Offenses (LAIO) at 1-800-TRIPPINHIPPY

October 31, 2007 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |