November 1st, 2007

Clinton: Wellesley prepared me for 'all boys' club

Watch Clinton speak at Wellesley Thursday.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton returned to her alma mater Tuesday, the all-women’s Wellesley College in Massachusetts, as her campaign suggested this week’s debate could help her with women voters.

Clinton seemed to allude to sharp attacks from Democratic rivals in Tuesday’s showdown, telling the enthusiastic crowd, “in so many ways, this all women’s college prepared me compete in the all boys’ club of presidential politics.”

The New York senator’s comment came as aides told The Washington Post the criticism directed against her could attract more women voters. The paper quoted one adviser as saying, ‘Ultimately, it was six guys against her, and she came off as one strong woman."

The campaign prepared a video showing a montage of rivals saying her name in the debate, labeling it the politics of piling on.

On Wednesday, as she was presented with boxing gloves while accepting the AFSCME endorsement in Washington, union president Gerald McEntee said, “Six guys against Hillary. I'd call that a fair fight."

Related video: Analysis: Clinton and the 'boys'

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Paul TX

Please people, enough of the Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton thing. It's been beaten to death already. When you quote it now, it just sounds like you can't think for yourself. Think of something new if you're going to criticize.

November 1, 2007 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Michael, Colorado Springs, CO

Mrs Clinton's policies and views must be challenged no matter the gender. The leadership position she aspires to should not be given so lightly without pondering the FACTS. She has never managed a city, county, or state government. Her resume is void of this kind of leadership. She announces the taking of profits of hardworking individuals for purposes of "giving" those profits to others who have not worked and earned their way. This is the strongest example of socialism that has failed everywhere it has been tried. She has shown poor leadership abilities through her frequent position changes on any given issue or the failure to take a firm stance when needed. As a potential commander-in-chief of the MOST FREE NATION in the world, she fails to recognize compassion is a weakness our adversaries do not share. Our adversaries continue to view the US as a weak, directionless, and leaderless nation because we argue amongst ourselves allowing our leaders to divide US versus uniting US. Mrs Clinton should not be given any quarter based on gender.

November 1, 2007 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  3. Darko, New Orleans LA

Good God, How will she handle the general election debates if she gets the nomination?

They are sure to be much rougher than this last one.

Is this really who you want leading the free world?

November 1, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. Maria, Houston

Our country is already hurting by split between Republicans and Democrats and now we are starting The Gender War? This is the most shameful attempt to date of Clinton campaign to exploit American women for her political gain.

I am a single mom of two sons and a Democrat from Texas. In my line of work I compete with good ol' Republican boys every day. It is my experience that vast majority of men respect women with brains, integrity, healthy self esteem and a bit of humor as opposed to politically correct harpies and calculated robots.

This election should not be about "Women against Men". Hillary,instead of being a drama queen just needs to answer the questions truthfully.If she can't handle Democrats, how can she handle our real enemies? Or will she just send our sons to die in another the war?

November 1, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  5. Earl, Ohio

"Poor me. I want to be President, but these boys are picking on me!"

Oh please. You are just alienating male voters spewing forth your anti-male rhetoric. You might pick up a few extra votes in the primary this way, Hillary, but you are shooting yourself in the foot for the general. Male voters are not going to rally behind a feminist.

November 1, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Pres Watkinsville, GA

How is an all women's college any different than an all men's country club? It's not that I have any problem with Wellesley...it's just that I DON'T have a problem with, say, Augusta Country Club.
    Why the double standard?

November 1, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  7. Gabriel, Tucson, AZ

It figures Senator Clinton will use the tactic of "being a a women" when the going gets tough. If she wants to play in the "majors" she must be willing to get hit.

November 1, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  8. Laura - Tulsa, OK

Hillary couldn't even get a health plan passed when she was First Lady. She doesn't have any successes to point to for her bid for the Presidency.

Remember Seinfeld a show about nothing – Democrats are campaigning about nothing because they've done nothing that was successful ('cept raise taxes).

November 1, 2007 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  9. nutso in ga.

I would not vote for Hillary Clinton, even if she was running for dog catcher!!!!

November 1, 2007 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  10. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

I counted eight guys against Hillary.
    Brian Williams and Tim Russert were right in the mix

Posted By Len, Manchester, NH : November 1, 2007 3:22 pm

Hear, hear!!!!!

Tim Russert should not be allowed to moderate another debate. Whether it be Hillary or anybody else, his job was to be objective, not to aid in the attack of the front-runner. He forgot that he was not hosting his Sunday show and played "gotcha" all night with her as he did during the last debate with the torture question and Bill Clinton. I found his behavior offensive, and don't even get me started with the foaming at the mouth Chris Matthews......

November 1, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  11. Dave, Austin

I wonder if Wellesly prepared her for dodging questions? I hear she's good at it.

November 1, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  12. KatchProFILMS Portland, OR

I'd like to meet Bob.

November 1, 2007 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

No one is attacking Hillary because she is a woman! you ALL are correct, they are attacking her because their campaigns are NOT working so they are DESPERATE! that is a republican tactic, maybe one day we'll learn to truly talk about our differences and understand when we are being defeated... but until then WIN AT ALL COST BOYS! and you wonder why the American people are tire of politicians... Sen. Clinton I hope you win! just to make the Republicans Cringe... Happy Halloween Ya'll! and to my Republican Friends... "careful what you whish for"...

November 1, 2007 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  14. JB Boston MA

Here comes the gender card! "Vote for me because I am a women". Only I can understand you. . . . . Isn't that sexism?

November 1, 2007 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  15. TAUREAN, CHICAGO,IL

IT'S ONE THING TO ATTACK HER POLICIES, BUT JOHN PHONY EDWARDS AND SKIP HARD VOTES OBAMA, WAS ATTACKING HER SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY AND HER PERSONALLY. WHICH IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO DIFFERENT YOURSELF FROM YOUR OPPONENT. I WOULD CONSIDER SUPPORTING OBAMA BUT NEVER EDWARDS WHO THINKS THE WAR ON TERROR IS A BUMPER STICKER. REPUBLICANS WOULD EAT HIM ALIVE.

November 1, 2007 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  16. diamond

What a desperate woman she has become in just one night.

She's starting to unveil what is the ONLY thing she's running on- her feminity (even though she has nothing left of it).

The mighty fall fast!

November 1, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  17. David, Roseburg OR

I really have to laugh at most of these comments as they are mostly against a single paragraph in her speech, whereas if you read the transcript of the speech you would find a bit more understanding of what she was talking about. However most of you are playing the same game the other democratic runners for president are playing, knock her down because she is a female.

I am very surprised at the debate as none of them dealt with the current issues, except Hilary. They acted like kindergarten kids fighting over the favored crayon. A debate is suppose to be about the issues, not attacking each other by name. We have lost the civility of debate just as we have lost the civility of our daily life. We are so divided now that it will take a long time to hopefully get back to where we could have discussions without attacking others.

Would you talk this way if you were face to face with Hilary or the others? I don't really think you wold, I think that the problem is that you are all sitting there in your home feeling so powerful with your input to the site that you forget to be thoughtful about what you say.

I'd ask all of you to step back a bit, if you truly feel this extreme disdain for Hilary, or anyone else running then you might want to check yourself and think about what is really upsetting you about the candidates rather than just barrel in with your attacks. Do you want to endorse the Republicans? Our fight should be for the best democrat that will have the best chance at winning. I am not yet voting for Hilary, but the attitude of a few of the others I have been thinking about voting for was a little sullied when I watched the debate. We must be careful with this election, it is very important that we get a democrat in there no matter who it is as if we stay the path with the republicans we will surely continue to destroy the image of the US in the rest of the world. I'd suggest that you comment on the good of your candidate rather than tearing down another.

November 1, 2007 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  18. Atticus, San Francisco CA

Her sexist comments continue to prove her capabilities of being polarizing.

November 1, 2007 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  19. LinnieFB,Corona,CA

Wow...the HRC campaign is making some major mistakes....is Bill still running things? Playing the gender card is a disgrace to women, and certainly to female politicians. This will lose her the female vote.

November 1, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  20. Jeff

One smart woman to six clowns, her character,she has earned it,respectively.there running scared,they are the ones crying.

November 1, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  21. Claude, Mesa AZ

Another reason why I will not vote for Hillary Clinton. Playing the gender card is a cop out! Imagine if B.Obama played the race card. He would be drug and slinged through the mud!!!Hillary, take your deceptive, evasive self and go home.

November 1, 2007 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  22. Jose Card

For any candidate to get my vote, she or he will have to show me her or his exceptional ability to lead our country with integrity. It doesn't matter if the candidate is a he or she. But I am still waiting to see the right stuff from Senator Clinton.

Does she actually have it? Why can't she convince me she can lead? She said she wanted in to WIN. I wish she had said she wanted in to SERVE. However, if she really wants to win, time is running out for her to show her true self that can lead us.

We badly need to elect the one that can really lead our country at this critical point in history. The candidate doesn't have to be ambitious about winning, but he or she has to have the right stuff.

November 1, 2007 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  23. dukesjames griffin georgia

ok then it was said by a united states senator that sen. clinton is a polarizer; I heard that–it was said by a us. senator that sen. clinton is divisive; I heard that it was said by a united states senator that sen. clinton is hiding something in some type of parers from the clinton administration and other senators want to see those papers; I heard that as well. so now then these allegations were charged to the person of sen. hillary clinton. I would like to know on what ground of facts where is the existence or truth of by true or competent evidence to verify such allegations, where is the substantive facts that will prove that this lady Sen. Hillary Clinton is in fact divisive, a polarizer and is hiding records that could prove her to be un-worthy of being a canidate for president of the united states; Now all that there is is a long historic record of men talking trash about this lady, calling her names, writing books about her, making thier living by mocking her and her family and never producing one solid piece of evidence of any wrong; so this is what you got; a lot of bigots telling lies about someone that they dislike for no good reason except hate and many more brain dead americans who are dumb enough to believe and responsible enough to regenerate the vile lies and comments made by thier bigot champions; that is the truth and those are the facts. and that is what I fight against–not marriage and family– I fight for that also like I said I am a realist I see, hear and understand and I could care less about what anyone thinks.

November 1, 2007 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  24. Greg, Barrington, Il

CNN: If Hillary Clinton at the end of the day makes it through the nomination of her party and becomes a presidential candidate, get ready for the same kind of viscous, hateful attacks from the barbarians on the right that Elenor Roosevelt endured in the 1940s. "She's a lesbian","she's a communist", "she's the anti-Christ". For that reason (I'm ashamed to say) I hope that Hillary is not chosen as the Democratic candidate. This country is not ready to accept a female leader, especially against the guaranteed hate campaign from the Republicans that will be so effective in convincing the less educated voter that her election will be tantamount to total destruction of our values and way of life. These are the times when I feel the most disappointment in our people, a betrayal of the heights that we have attained. Then, as if to keep hope alive, a voice of reason and intelligence invariably appears and gives me reason to keep the hope alive that we will eventually grow up, mature in our beliefs enough to progress into the modern age. Well, we'll see...

November 1, 2007 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  25. Lily Smith, Vidalia, Georgia

Go get them Hillary! Go after Obama and when you do, bounce the question a lot of people are scrating their heads abot when he stated there are more ways than one to get to God or was it Heaven. Heard Oprah say the same words also while the girls at her scholl were being raped. And tell Edwards he believed Bush`s lie to go to war as you and the rest of us "we the People: well not all but quite a bit.

November 1, 2007 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |