November 1st, 2007

Clinton: Wellesley prepared me for 'all boys' club

Watch Clinton speak at Wellesley Thursday.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton returned to her alma mater Tuesday, the all-women’s Wellesley College in Massachusetts, as her campaign suggested this week’s debate could help her with women voters.

Clinton seemed to allude to sharp attacks from Democratic rivals in Tuesday’s showdown, telling the enthusiastic crowd, “in so many ways, this all women’s college prepared me compete in the all boys’ club of presidential politics.”

The New York senator’s comment came as aides told The Washington Post the criticism directed against her could attract more women voters. The paper quoted one adviser as saying, ‘Ultimately, it was six guys against her, and she came off as one strong woman."

The campaign prepared a video showing a montage of rivals saying her name in the debate, labeling it the politics of piling on.

On Wednesday, as she was presented with boxing gloves while accepting the AFSCME endorsement in Washington, union president Gerald McEntee said, “Six guys against Hillary. I'd call that a fair fight."

Related video: Analysis: Clinton and the 'boys'

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Anonymous

I have never, ever seen a weaker performance in a debate than that of Hillary Clinton last night. She never, ever, even ONCE gave a straight answer to a question. She flipped and flopped more than Flipper. She seemed staged and stiff and like a Bush bot.

Obama, on the other hand, rocked the cashbah. He told it like it was. he was right that she should release her archives. I want to know what her infamous experience is.

I'm voting for Barack Obama. I'm working my butt off for free for him, going door to door.

He's inspired me. What has Hillary has done?

November 2, 2007 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  2. Gabrielle Nevison

I guess it was just a matter of time, whenin a pinch, HRC resorts to the old 'gender card'!

I would not vote for HRC under any circumstances as she fails to reflect by word or past deeds, basic honesty, candor or trustworthiness, all of which are non gender related.

As an intelligent, well informed woman, my will vote on issues and NOT on gender.

November 2, 2007 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  3. dukesjames griffin ga.

So what has happen to the right to speak; maybe that only applies to the white folk that is ok fine have it your way print the white people stuff I will simply stop using this computer so I guess that is why many like yourselves did not want us to read fine I will listen to hip-hop music and get drunk on grape soda's and eat chicken whings like a fbi agent. mess up my stuff then take it down trying to make a negro look stupid- you white folk are I guess special; I do not like special. good-bye cruel ticker.

November 2, 2007 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  4. COBRA, Philadelphia,PA

So mixed gender schools are a bad idea? Seeing the pics of Hillary back then tells me why she chose Wellesley

November 2, 2007 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  5. Janis Spaggiari,Renton,Washington.

I strongly believe that Hillary was being attacked largely because she's a woman and to a smaller degree on her views.Not one of these men attacked another man but all the men attacked Hillary.It was 6 macho men trying to intimidate her to try and put her in her place as a woman but she'll not be
    intimadated,she will keep those boxing gloves on and keep keeping strong.Don't think that she won't get plenty of men votes.She is the toughest and smartest
    of all the Demorate candidates so
    there's no reason why she shouldn't
    get lots of men voting for her Ok so now all the macho men out there
    reading my opinion,go ahead attack me now just like the 6 macho men attacked Hillary.

November 2, 2007 05:13 am at 5:13 am |
  6. kparcell

Congressman Kucinich did not attack Mrs. Clinton except when he called into question the vote of the majority of the Senate to authorize the President to go to war with Iran, which Mrs. Clinton also approved. If Wellesly finds that vote or misrepresenting another candidate's statements laudable, then it's not my Grandmother's Wellesly.

Grandson of Hannah Withers, class of '23

November 2, 2007 05:47 am at 5:47 am |
  7. Jimmy NYC

Hillary cannot get it through her thick head that this campaign is not a male vs fenale competition. It's a dialogue about who can best serve as President in very difficult times. The campaign has nothing to do with which reproduction organs a candidate was born with.

November 2, 2007 05:55 am at 5:55 am |
  8. Bee

Another Gender card that is bogus. She is a joke. How about Obama or Richardson playing a race card. Clinton cannot be trusted

November 2, 2007 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  9. Lori, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

How does expect to play with the "boys" of the world who are real problems if she runs crying and can't handle criticism from fellow candidates?! I'm a woman and her statements do not hold water with me - she is obviously too weak to be the President of the United States if her only response to criticism is that it's a boys club. Is she going to say "no fair" when the men of the world won't cooperate and do what she says or, worse yet, threaten the U.S.?! Margaret Thatcher, Benizer Bhutto and Golda Meir never made such statements. She should follow their lead and forget about the boys club excuse and focus on substantive answers.

November 2, 2007 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  10. colony14 author, Mt Prospect, Illinois

If Hillary can't handle a simple follow-up question in a debate without whining about being "attacked" because she is a woman, I'd like to know how she'll handle Iran blockading the Strait of Hormuz. She may have been able to get her storm troopers in Arkansas to cover up many of Bill's indiscretions, and she may have much the media rooting for her, but none of that will help her in any confrontation with international thugs who are tougher than her – and who show it by slicing off people's heads with wild abandon.

November 2, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. Mark, B'ham, Al.

I would not and do not trust Hillary as she only does what she says if there is something in it for her. I know what she wanted to do to the Armed Forces while her Husband of Convinence Bill was in office by taking away our commissary and exchange privilages, taxing our housing and food allownace which would only get you a shack in the getto where most Navy Bases are located, and the lack of respect to the uniform by not wanting Miltary in uniform in the White House since it upset her daughter that they did not like her draft dodging dad. I respect her as little about being a woman for her support of a draft dodger as I have no respect for her draft dodging husband as a man. Watch out America, she will twist the knife that she sticks in your back.

November 3, 2007 01:35 am at 1:35 am |