November 1st, 2007

South Carolina Democrats say no to Colbert

Colbert's presidential bid is likely over.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - The South Carolina Democratic Party voted Thursday to keep comedian Stephen Colbert's name off the Democratic Primary ballot, according to Executive Director Joe Werner.

This essentially means that Colbert’s short lived White House run in the Palmetto State will come to an end, because he has said that he would not try to be placed on the Republican Party primary ballot.

The state party's executive council met this afternoon in Columbia to decide which Democratic candidates met the criteria to be placed on the ballot. To be placed on the South Carolina ballot a candidate must demonstrate national viability as well as campaign in the state.

Colbert, who officially filed papers to get on the ballot this morning, lost a roll call vote, 13-3.

Meanwhile, presidential long shots, Rep. Dennis Kucinich and former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel, made the cut.

State Democratic Party Chairwoman Carol Fowler suggested Wednesday that Colbert does not meet the standard of national viability.

"He does not appear to be campaigning to win if he is only running in one state," she said.

Werner confirmed Thursday that viablity was the issue - because Colbert only sought to run in South Carolina and has essentially acknowledged his bid was a joke, the party could not deem him viable.

Full story

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. kyle

its all about the money factor to win the president of the United states thats sad.

November 1, 2007 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. Cosmic, Michigan

After reading how many of you who would actually vote for Colbert, I'm no longer surprised why this country is so screwed-up. The criteria for chosing a President is more than a popularity contest. Americans need to get serious about our leadership. Grow up!

November 1, 2007 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  3. John

Good thing Colbert is not allowed in. He is not a nationwide candidate, and is not running as a person, but as a character. Gravel and Kucinich are both running nationwide campaigns, unlike Colbert. Kucinich, also, last election received the second highest amount of delegates for Dems (after Kerry).

November 1, 2007 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  4. Plackel Atlanta GA

Yes, apparently he is not a good enough Cackler.

November 1, 2007 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  5. dan

I don't think Steven would make a good president, but he should be able to run since he appears to have a lot of support. I really wanted to see this play out...

November 1, 2007 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  6. Gupon Dallas TX

He should not be running. He does not know how many counties are in IA.

November 1, 2007 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  7. Mike, Cleveland, OH

Tony P. Newark, California

Comparing the selection process of the president to the selection process of a McDonalds employee are two very different things. Here are the differences:

1) Potential McD employees don't have to shell out $2500 in order to apply for work, I would think this is obvious.

2) The age limit for POTUS is 35, plus you have to be an US citizen by birth.

3) You insult the integrity of the McD employee by saying that their job is similar to the POTUS.

I'm sure there may be a few other requirements, but my point was plain and simple: all Americans should be afforded to right to run for president. No one should have to pay some "handling fee" or an "initiation fee" for joining a political party ballot. Though I do see a valid point for a minimum number of signatures, I don't think that is an unreasonable requirement.

I take offense with the assumption that I helped elected Bush into office. Tony, you make a lot of assumptions without asking any questions. The truth is that I’ve NEVER voted for a republican and I don’t foresee a time when I will any time soon. If you really are a Democrat, like you appear to be, then I’m surprised you would resort to baseless attacks without knowing the truth.

I always try my very best to post the truth on these forums (minus the political spin), and to accuse me of anything but the truth is a challenge to my character that I will not allow without a debate.

November 1, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. sam smith, Pittsburgh, PA

Colbert is on TV daily talking about issues of the united states ... How much more visibility do you need? WRITE HIM IN!

November 1, 2007 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  9. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

I would like to list the presidential candidates as they best would fit in the presidential administration as Department Heads, Secretaries; regardless of party affiliation, but as I do not know the Candidates well enough to suggest such: I will omit.

This is the purpose of the State Separate Electoral College, a limited number of people who can become informed as to who the candidates are.

For Mr. Colbert to be a write-in candidate it is required that he still be listed as a candidate for a serious acceptance after the fact of election; the fact that a Presidential ballot should be hand written is beside the fact. A separate party title is not required for an independent’s status.

Mr. Colbert should gain a high profile job which is not accounted as entertainment; the recent Wrist Strong Campaign as a campaigning representative philanthropist is just a start.

The popular vote does not matter and polls represent little; the Electoral College. Endorsements matter only in party and in events of a required tie breaking.

The Party is polled and only represents a Nomination; if Mr. Colbert is serious for the Presidency he only needs a regular appearance on the affiliate Jon Stewart show to suggest what he would do as President, or have a segment in which a ‘guest’ ask him on his own.

November 2, 2007 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  10. Arjun M, Teaneck, NJ

I'm no fan of the democratic party, but you can't reasonably expect them to take this crap seriously. If you want him on the ballot, you can drive down to SC and canvass for the 10,000 signatures.

November 2, 2007 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  11. Brian, Madison, WI

Yeah write in Steven Colbert on the ballot for the primaries.

November 2, 2007 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  12. jacob, dallas, tx

I am still writing him in on the presidential ballot

November 2, 2007 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  13. Max, Boston, MA

This guy needs to go away. This is not time for people playing games. That's what is wrong with Hollywood…everything is about acting to them.
    Posted By Tony, Alexandria, Va : November 1, 2007 3:38 pm

You're aware that Colbert has nothing to do with Hollywood, of course.

November 2, 2007 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  14. Rafi Mittlefehldt, NY, NY

Does anyone else feel weird that other people are telling us who we can vote for?

November 2, 2007 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  15. Mitchell Johnston, British Columbia

I hate you guys, please let him run, or else...i hate you guys

November 2, 2007 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  16. Michael, Jacksonville, FL

What's with that picture of Colbert, CNN? He looks like someone just ran over his dog or something. Cheer up Steve! America still loves you.

November 2, 2007 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  17. Brenda, Iva, SC

Since when do the RNC and the DNC get to pick and chose who gets on our voting ballots? A lot it seems in the past 40 years since they have hijacked our elections and bushwhacked our country. This whole mess reeks with fraud and vote tampering. Thank God I'm a life long independent or I would be royally mad. The nerve of that old hag and her evil cohorts to think they have a right to decide for us. Those contempt-able people were never elected to speak for anyone much less all of us. Just like their organ harvesting of prisoners, the FYI deprived fools in South Carolina will mot likely ever know how they are being violated with Uncle Fox running the sordid crap they call news around here. Yes, Mr. Colbert can and I hope he will run on the Independent ticket. If he does, he has my vote already and as soon as South Carolina outlaws preacher political persuasion in her churches so will most others. This is no longer a free country folks, so forget everything you were ever taught about democracy and equal opportunity, it does not exist in South Carolina. Which means it's time for another revolutionary war to regain our civil rights again.

November 2, 2007 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  18. Benjamin, Miami FL

This is dissapointing, Colbert would make a wonderfull. I have never heard of most these presidential candidates. I guess South Carolina is a PLUTOCRACY!! Just like the rest of the nation!

November 2, 2007 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  19. Mark, Shreveport, La

Kucinich and Gravel are certainly NOT viable, but they're on the ballot.

November 2, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  20. Me, Landofslaves

ELECTIONS ARE A SCAM!!!!

November 2, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  21. I. Dern (Fairfax, Va)

This was a mistake by South Carolina Democrats. Everyone knows this was partially a joke. But the joke was, you have to kowtow endlessly to even be allowed on a two-party system's ballot. You have to impress party bosses and play party politics to be the leader of America.

This is not democracy. This is a two party system.

The Democratic party walked right into the joke without knowing it. I will rethink voting for them this year (of course I will make my judgement on other criteria, but this is a massive failure of imagination by both parties).

November 2, 2007 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  22. Moe, NY

This coming election is a very serious matter. America does not need a comedian making a mockery of this election...the stakes are too high this time around. We already have too many clowns seeking the nomination.

November 2, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  23. Brandon, Tampa, FL

What the hell, South Carolina?

November 2, 2007 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  24. Mar, Cincinnati, Ohio

He was ahead of Kucinich, Gravel, and Dodd in polls. The last of which might I add, had less than 0% of the vote. The fact that someone like Colbert can pull ahead of them with a 2.3%-4% is amazing. That shows that he's doing something right, whether its for a joke or not. He should be the write-in candidate, at least for effort's sake.

November 2, 2007 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  25. Jim Topeka, KS

Colert should mount a massive campiagn in South Caolina as a write in canidate and see if he can really muddy up their little panel.

November 2, 2007 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |