November 3rd, 2007

Edwards would have liked Colbert candidacy

John Edwards said Stephen Colbert are both South Carolina natives.

CHERAW, South Carolina (CNN) - Former Sen. John Edwards said Friday that having comedian and fellow South Carolina native Stephen Colbert on the Democratic presidential primary ballot would have made the electoral process a little more fun.

Asked by CNN about the state Democratic party's decision Thursday to keep Colbert off the ballot, Edwards laughed and said he had not heard the news.

"Is that true?" he asked, smiling and looking around at reporters. "I hadn't heard about that."

Edwards, whose campaign issued a light-hearted statement last week saying they would "kick Colbert's butt" in South Carolina, said he would have liked to see Colbert run.

"I kind of like Colbert on the ballot myself," Edwards said. "I think it adds a little bit of interest. I like it though. I think it's fun."

Related video: Watch Edwards discuss Sen. Clinton and Stephen Colbert

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: John Edwards • South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. Chuckles

Ah, John...you may want to reconsider your position there since Colbert would have stolen votes from you...and by the look of things lately, you will need each and every one of them.

November 2, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. Jay, Kenosha, WI

Hey CNN, if I wanted to listen to Colbert (which I don't) I'd watch him on TV. Can someone please direct me to a website where I can learn about the issues?

November 2, 2007 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  3. Kevin, Phoenix, AZ

WTF wasn't he allowed to run? I don't get those comments by the SC state Democrats. They should just do their GD jobs, nod their heads gratuitously, while they collect the appropriate fees. Where does personal sentiment fit in? I agree this is a lawsuit.

November 2, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. Shardule, Boston, MA

I forgot who previously said this on another article (this is not an original comment by me), but Colbert already proved his point by having his cause denied.

November 2, 2007 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  5. Disgusted, Austin, TX

The thing is that the Democratic Party and Republican Party do have some say who gets to run within their ranks. Nobody says you have to be a Republican or a Democrat, it's just that they hold the most sway over the American public, so if you want a serious chance at a political seat, you pretty much need to join up with them and follow their guidelines.

But a person does not have to be aligned with them. Perot didn't, Nader didn't, Jesse Ventura didn't.

While Colbert's numbers were at 2.3% as a Democrat, remember he was at 12% as an Independent.

I enjoyed his breif run, and I would have liked to see it last longer and seen what would have happened.

November 2, 2007 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. colleen, washington, dc

While I enjoy Mr Colbert's comedy, his attempt to get on the ballot is a slap in the face – a slap in the face to the entire concept of elections. People have and continue to give their lives for the opportunity to vote for their leaders. His candidacy was nothing more than a publicity stunt. And Edwards! "a little more fun?" Go to an amusement park if you want more fun. We need serious candidates.

November 2, 2007 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  7. Michael, New York

In response to Jon Nadelberg:

The Big Brother is watching, Jon.

Oddly enough, rereading 1984 is like a study in events being reported on...

November 2, 2007 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  8. demwit

It was funny until we realized he could win our nomination..

November 2, 2007 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  9. david houston texas

Its amazing that anyone can see any merit to this stooge's foremat. Is he not unbearablely pathetic?

November 2, 2007 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  10. demwit

Colbert can't run for president and suddenly CNN is looking for a new "associate political editor with strong editing and reporting skills".

Hmmmmmm.....

November 2, 2007 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. Robert Austin, Texas

Too bad for Edwards...Colbert is the only candidate that Edwards can beat.

November 2, 2007 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  12. Lawrence Walker, Kerrville, Texas

Yes, I too was surprised to learn that one criteria for making the South Carolina ballot was that each and every candidate have a legitimate, national campaign with a real chance of, what, winning? I think the Democrats in SC did the wrong thing. Everybody who meets the Constitutional guidelines and who pays the fees should be able to run.

November 2, 2007 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  13. Daniel, NY

Clinton would have liked it too. The one poll that included Colbert had the comedian draining votes... from Giuliani, as Clinton expanded her lead! Link.

November 2, 2007 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  14. Kyle, Macon MO

It is a shame, in a country that 'claims' anyone can become president, we clearly see otherwise with Colbert being denied access to the ballot. With turnout as low as it is, even though he had no chance, and I believe he knew this, Mr. Colbert could of brought more of the young, disinfrancshised voters to the box on election day

November 2, 2007 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  15. Matt, Pennsylvania

Wow, I'm glad that a political party can overstep its bounds and deny someone's constitutional right. What next, any group with enough power and influence can do the same?

November 2, 2007 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. Maryann, Orlando, FL

According to Wikipedia, Pat Paulson was on the ballot in New Hampshire several times and came in second to George Bush Sr. in North Dakota!

Have the rules changed? Or do states have different rules on who can run for president? Was Pat Paulson a "nationally viable" candidate as SC rules seem to dictate?

Or have we just become too uptight to have a sense of humor?

So much for the "American Dream" that 'anyone' can become president.

November 2, 2007 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  17. Bacra New York NY

Does he know there are 99 counties in IA ?

November 2, 2007 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  18. Gorchav Moscao Russia

Maybe he was too much of an expert on Global Warming.

November 2, 2007 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  19. Chena Boston MA

This is "fun", a campaign is "fun" ? While people are dying in Iraq, while politicians act like Kindergarten Name Callers ? And you call this Fun ? Obviously Edwards is not a Presidential Candidate. He sounds too much like a children's book writer.

November 2, 2007 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  20. Hillbilly New York NY

I guess we can see why Edwards didn't win last time around. Where is Gore?

November 2, 2007 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  21. Julie, Binghamton, NY

:( I would have liked his name on the ballot as well! I agree, his is a slap on the face for democracy.

November 2, 2007 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  22. Ticker Shock, Richmond, VA

Poor Stephen. Boo to those bums who voted him out. Now we're left with ho-hum burnt out candidates who have so much money to play with they can't spend it fast enough while the rest of us suffer. I will miss him.

November 2, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  23. Cheeselord

I can't believe this. Just imagine how much of Stephen's Formula would have sold if he got in!

November 2, 2007 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  24. Matt, Gainesville, FL

Sure, he was denied a spot on the democratic party ballot, but what about running as an independent? I'm not sure of the process, but couldn't he bypass the primaries and jump straight into the endgame as an IND?

November 2, 2007 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  25. Jason, Greenville, NC

Edwards is from North Carolina (Robbins, NC to be exact), but thanks for trying.

November 2, 2007 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |