November 3rd, 2007

Romney leads in Iowa

Watch Bill Schneider's report about Mitt Romney in Iowa.

(CNN) - Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider filed this report from Iowa Friday. Schneider takes at why Mitt Romney is leading in Iowa polls.

Related video: Watch more of Bill Schneider's interview with Romney

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

Filed under: Iowa • Mitt Romney
  1. Steve Blaine Washington

Paula in Las Vegas
    I would like to know how the Mormon Church will set our country back 50 years in the way we treat women and minorities. The Mormon Church has a Society Called The Relief Society which all Women belong. It is the most powerful organization not only in the church but probably in the world.
    Come on? Congtinue on and put your foot in your mouth and prove your statement..

November 4, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. susan aspen

Dear Paula,

Where is your proof that the LDS church holds back women?

I am Mormon. I hold a graduate degree in secondary education and have been a teacher most of my life, my two sisters have BA's, all 17 of my female first cousins have college degrees and most have graduate degrees... we are Doctors, Attorneys, Teachers, Accountants, Engineers... all of my husband's nieces have graduated from college and most have masters degrees....my two nieces are both teachers, one back East and one in Provo.... please explain what you are talking about? Setting our country back 50 years? This is an unfounded statement.
    Two years ago when I when to visit my niece ( who coming out of hight school had a 4.0 GPA and was student body president)at BYU in the dorms, I was able to meet the young ladies on her floor. Most of them had higher than 4.0 GPA's and were there on academic scholarships... they were pre-med, pre law... what are you talking about... they didn't seem very backwards to me,they are the leaders of tomorrow, bright,educated young ladies.. ready to take on the world.

November 4, 2007 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. Vicky,baltimore,md

Posted By Dan, Saint Louis, MO : November 3, 2007 5:50 pm

YOu seem to me LDS member! I would not listen to you when I meet you out with that your BiBle. I think Ann is so humble to Romney because 1. She is one of the church member and she has to practice that. 2. She doesn't have a carreer and Romney inherited millions from his father. If I were to think of Romney term as Massachusetts governor, the guy changed on a number of issues...He said, I am for pro-life, Pro choice, then changes to abortion
    He then said he was anti gay and then became the firt governor in the country to legalize Gay marriage..
    If we skip changing potions, How signing for cheap concrete to build the Big dig, a 4 Billion turnel that came collapsing and killed a woman? How about taxing everything in the name of not raising taxes.. Talking of olympics don't you remember the scandals in salt lake city under his management? Google Bain the company he was managing in massachusetts and see the illegal activities it was involved in?
    OOh, by the way the guy was very hyper to go campaign and the people of massachusetts didn't appreciate the way he abandoned his job to go and start bidding for presidency. This guy looks tough and convincing but he is a total joke! Romney father was involved in motor industry and that is where his wealth comes from but you know what that old white boy thing is not welcome anymore. We had had enough with G.W.Bush!

November 4, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  4. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Sure – Mitt's first in Iowa – he spent enough on pork for the good people of that state – BBQd and otherwise – good example of how you buy an election.

What is scary is the fact that when GOP pollsters ask GOP voters some detailed questions, they don't have a clue as to where their candidates stand on the issues. Its easier to line up like cattle to the slaughterhouse and pull the old familiar GOP lever – sure beats thinking.

November 5, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  5. Lauren, Charlottesville, VA

Romney can beat Hillary!

Mitt Romney will make a fine president. He's intelligent, he's thoughtful, he's responsible and moral.

November 5, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  6. David Columbus, OH

Thank you Paula. I agree with you 110%. Mormon in the White House = Alot of bad things.

November 5, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  7. LDS Woman, South Carolina

Paula, please. Do you actually know any Mormons?

"Their formal education does not extend much beyond the teachings of Joseph Smith." Gee, I wonder how Mitt Romney managed to get a JD/MBA from Harvard with that restriction.

LDS church members are, on average, better educated. As a woman who earned a National Merit Scholarship, perfect score on the SAT, and Bachelor's Degree at 20, I resent people who think Mormons are brainwashed, uneducated, or care only about other Mormons. I now run an SAT prep and essay editing business, and let me tell you, nothing is more important to me (and most Mormons) than higher education.

I also strive to be a good neighbor to my neighbors, who include a lesbian couple, single moms, and other young professionals. In my neighborhood of about 40 households, I am the only Mormon, and I love my neighbors and would do anything to help them. Mormons follow Jesus Christ by loving people unconditionally.

Mitt Romney is just trying to serve our country and make the world a better place.

November 5, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  8. David Columbus, OH

I know between 10-20 Mormons, and not put a single of them in the White House. They are a very fake people. I respect that they strive for higher learning, but I don't agree if it comes in the form of free education, which 99% of the time it is.

November 5, 2007 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  9. Aaron Kinney, Sherman Oaks CA

Ron Paul will take Iowa. From what I've heard (I got a few friends there), Ron Paul signs are everywhere in Iowa.

There aren't any Romney signs.

November 5, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  10. Chris, Seattle, WA

The last time I checked, Harvard wasn't free.

November 5, 2007 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |