November 4th, 2007

Former President Bush: Clinton may not be nominee

Clinton still has not clinched the Democratic nomination according to former President Bush.

(CNN)–Although some are ready to predict that Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, will be the 2008 Democratic nominee, former president George H.W. Bush says not so fast.

"I had thought a few weeks ago that she was almost a gimme, as we say in golf, for the nomination. I'm not sure I feel that way now." Bush made the comments in an interview with Chris Wallace aired on 'Fox News Sunday.'

"There seems to be more kind of internal, in her own party–seems to be more willingness to take her on and argue about stuff," he said.

When Wallace asked Bush whether his friendship with former president Bill Clinton, would make it more likely for him to be less critical of Clinton's wife, Bush disagreed. "I do have a good relationship with Bill Clinton, and I've enjoyed working with him on charitable causes, Katrina and tsunami and all fo this. And I might say I even enjoying playing golf with the guy," he said. "But just as he's not going to tiptoe about his differences with [President George W. Bush], I wouldn't tiptoe with my differences with him."

Former Presidents Clinton and Bush both traveled together extensively in the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami in Asia, and Hurricane Katrina in 2005, to raise money and awareness for recovery efforts.

Bush, the father of President George W. Bush, and former Florida governor Jeb Bush, taped the interview at his presidential library on the campus of Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: Bill Clinton • George H.W. Bush • Hillary Clinton • Race to '08
  1. Stienbrine New York NY

So does Alex Rodriguz endorse Obama ?

November 4, 2007 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  2. Karen,ny

I am sure that Putin and the rest of the world leaders will really be terrified of America's woman president.

November 4, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  3. Daniel, NY

Given the latest Washington Post general election poll that has Clinton massively leading all Republicans, the GOP better hope she is not the nominee. Link.

November 4, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  4. Colin742

There is always someone who says "if Hillary is nominated, I'm voting Republican" Either the person is a Republican (voted for Bush) or a MORON, or perhaps both statements are true. Because they don't like Hillary, they would vote for Guiliani, who knew that the firefighters had radios that did not work, which resulted in many of them dying. The US is doomned unless voters learn elect a president based not upon whether the person is goodlooking, eloquent, charming but upon indications of intelligence, competance, experience, dilligence, able to answer a complex question in a lucid paragraph. Some Senate republicans have said Hillary is smart, hard working, detail oriented. She is respected by those who know her.

For those who voted for Bush in the last two elections, you now know for certain that you nade a mistake which resulted in great harm to the nation.If someone like Colin Powell was running as a Republican, many Democrats would vote for him. None of the present Republican candidates will be able the fix reputation of the US in the world. My advice is to hold you nose and vote for Hillary. You may be pleasantly surprised.

November 4, 2007 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  5. scott, manchester NH

this is funny stuff...we've got a father and son who have a combined presidential record that has left america scratching their heads and then pulling their hair out...
    at the end of the day, we now KNOW that republican men are not fit for leadership...duuuhhhh!

November 4, 2007 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. A. Thomas, New York, NY

George Bush sr. was known to tell lies and not able to tell the future. This mental weakness in judgment goes in the family including Bush jr. (little bush or shrub)

Remember Bush sr. said: "Read my lips, and I wont raise taxes" during his presidential campaign? He lied.

As far as the dems voters survey & pols go, there is no inication of any internal to take Hillary on.

I think he discounted hillary's nomination chance as to revenge Bill Clinton's critiscm of the little bush.

I think Bush sr. is getting senile or becoming crazy.

November 4, 2007 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  7. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

If there's one thing Bush Sr. can do that Bush Jr. can't, it's telling the truth. Clinton must fall!

November 4, 2007 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  8. nina in chattanooga

Hope Rides Alone
    By Eddie Jeffers

I stare out into the darkness from my post, and I watch
    the city burn to the ground. I smell the familiar smells, I walk
    through the familiar rubble, and I look at the frightened faces
    that watch me pass down the streets of their neighborhoods.
    My nerves hardly rest; my hands are steady on a device that
    has been given to me from my government for the purpose of
    taking the lives of others.

I sweat, and I am tired. My back aches from the loads I carry.
    Young American boys look to me to direct them in a manner
    that will someday allow them to see their families again...and
    yet, I too, am just a boy....my age not but a few years more
    than that of the ones I lead. I am stressed, I am scared, and I
    am paranoid...because death is everywhere. It waits for me, it
    calls to me from around street corners and windows, and it is
    always there.

There are the demons that follow me, and tempt me into
    thoughts and actions that are not my own...but that are
    necessary for survival. I've made compromises with my
    humanity. And I am not alone in this. Miles from me are
    my brethren in this world, who walk in the same streets...
    who feel the same things, whether they admit to it or not.
    And to think, I volunteered for this...!!
    And I am ignorant to the rest of the world...or so I thought.

But even thousands of miles away, in Ramadi, Iraq, the cries
    and screams and complaints of the ungrateful reach me. In a
    year, I will be thrust back into society from a life and mentality
    that doesn't fit your average man. And then, I will be alone.
    And then, I will walk down the streets of America, and see the
    yellow ribbon stickers on the cars of the same people who
    compare our President to Hitler.

I will watch the television and watch the Cindy Sheehans, and
    the Al Frankens, and the rest of the ignorant sheep of America
    spout off their mouths about a subject they know nothing about.
    It is their right, however, and it is a right that is defended by
    hundreds of thousands of boys and girls scattered across the
    world, far from home. I use the word boys and girls, because
    that's what they are. In the Army, the average age of the
    infantryman is nineteen years old. The average rank of soldiers
    killed in action is Private First Class.

People like Cindy Sheehan are ignorant. Not just to this war,
    but to the results of their idiotic ramblings, or at least I hope they
    are. They don't realize its effects on this war. In this war, there
    are no Geneva Conventions, no cease fires. Medics and
    Chaplains are not spared from the enemy's brutality because it's
    against the rules. I can only imagine the horrors a military
    Chaplain would experience at the hands of the enemy. The
    enemy slinks in the shadows and fights a coward's war against
    us. It is effective though, as many men and women have died
    since the start of this war. And the memory of their service to
    America is tainted by the inconsiderate remarks on our nation's
    news outlets. And every day, the enemy changes...only now, the
    enemy is becoming something new. The enemy is transitioning
    from the Muslim extremists to Americans. The enemy is becoming
    the very people whom we defend with our lives. And they do not
    realize it. But in denouncing our actions, denouncing our leaders,
    denouncing the war we live and fight, they are isolating the military
    from society...and they are becoming our enemy.

Democrats and peace activists like to toss the word "quagmire"
    around and compare this war to Vietnam. In a way they are right,
    this war is becoming like Vietnam. Not the actual war, but in the
    isolation of country and military. America is not a nation at war;
    they are a nation with its military at war. Like it or not, we are here,
    some of us for our second, or third times; some even for their fourth
    and so on. Americans are so concerned now with politics, that it is
    interfering with our war.

Terrorists cut the heads off of American citizens on the Internet...
    and there is no outrage, but an American soldier kills an Iraqi in the
    midst of battle, and there are investigations, and sometimes soldiers
    are even jailed...for doing their job.

It is absolutely sickening to me to think our country has come to this.
    Why are we so obsessed with the bad news? Why will people stop
    at nothing to be against this war, no matter how much evidence of
    the good we've done is thrown in their face? When is the last time
    CNN or MSNBC or CBS reported the opening of schools and hospitals
    in Iraq? Or the leaders of terror cells being detained or killed? It's all
    happening, but people will not let up their hatred of Bush. They will
    ignore the good news, because it just might show people that Bush
    was right.

America has lost its will to fight. It has lost its will to defend what is
    right and just in the world. The crazy thing of it all is that the American
    people have not even been asked to sacrifice a single thing. It's not
    like World War Two, where people rationed food, and turned in cars to
    be made into metal for tanks. The American people have not been
    asked to sacrifice anything. Unless you are in the military or the family
    member of a service member, its life as usual...the war doesn't affect
    you.

But it affects us. And when it is over, and the troops come home, and
    they try to piece together what's left of them after their service...where
    will the detractors be then? Where will the Cindy Sheehans be to
    comfort and talk to soldiers and help them sort out the last couple
    years of their lives, most of which have been spent dodging death and
    wading through the deaths of their friends? They will be where they
    always are, somewhere far away, where the horrors of the world can't
    touch them. Somewhere where they can complain about things they
    will never experience in their lifetime; things that the young men and
    women of America have willingly taken upon their shoulders.

We are the hope of the Iraqi people. They want what everyone else
    wants in life: safety, security, somewhere to call home. They want a
    country that is safe to raise their children in. Not a place where their
    children will be abducted, raped, and murdered if they do not comply
    with the terrorists demands. They want to live on, rebuild and prosper.
    And America has given them the opportunity, but only if we stay true
    to the cause, and see it to its end. But the country must unite in this endeavor...we cannot place the burden on our military alone. We must
    all stand up and fight, whether in uniform or not. And supporting us is
    more than sticking yellow ribbon stickers on your cars. It's supporting
    our President, our troops ....and our cause.

Right now, the burden is all on the American soldiers. Right now,
    hope rides alone. But it can change, it must change. Because there is
    only failure and darkness ahead for us as a country, as a people, if it
    doesn't.

Let's stop all the political nonsense, let's stop all the bickering, let's
    stop all the bad news, and let's stand and fight!

Eddie's father, David Jeffers, writes:
    I'm not sure how many letters or articles you've ever read
    from the genre of "News from the Front," but this is one of the
    best I've ever read, including all of America's wars. As I was
    reading this, I forgot that it was my son who had written it. My
    emotions range from great pride to great sorrow, knowing that
    my little boy (22 years old) has become this man.
    He is my hero. Thank all of you for your prayers for him; he
    needs them now more than ever. God bless.

(....Though Eddie is no longer with us, you can help to let his
    voice be heard. Pass this along to others.)

November 4, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  9. pam Eugene, OR

If Clinton is the choice of the Demc I will vote as a republican and that will break my heart.
    She will tear this country apart.

November 4, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  10. new york

Who will be Hillary's version of Ken Starr?
    The Vince Foster, murder investigation seems very likely if Clinton gets the Oval office.

November 4, 2007 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  11. maggi,boston,ma

for the first time I agree with bushes....ofcourse she is not electable!

November 4, 2007 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  12. Curt, Des Moines, Iowa

No one in their right mind should vote for Clinton. Since when does America run on a dynastic rule? Is anyone else as aggravated as I am that most of the leaders in Washington are related, not to mention that we are on the verge of a Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton 20 year period of family rule?

Ron Paul is the way!!!!

November 4, 2007 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  13. hanna,boston,ma

this is pure unfair reporting!! where are other candidates pictures and material. I am tired of this clinton hype. The same way we were hyped with the war in IraQ...My ears ache when I hear of the bushes...literary!

November 4, 2007 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. Colin742

Eugene. The country is already torn apart. Hillary might put it back together. No Repuplican can help.

November 4, 2007 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  15. Cynthia C, Ft Wayne, IN

I also tend liberal, but will vote Republican if Hill gets the nom. Her financial policies are way to the left and I prefer lowering taxes.

November 4, 2007 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  16. Ron Nebraska

Here's another frightening thought folks. Because the media cannot or won't or don't know how to do their job to inform the public, we have a news media that takes the simple road of providing entertainment. To them it is an amusing story of family dynasties in American politics so when they get done annointing Hillary president and she has 4 or 8 years in office the media will begin to beat the drum for Jeb Bush. After that I can see the media promoting Jebs' son for the job,so you realize if you as voters don't get off your asses and gain actual pertinent facts about a candidate we could have the Bush/Clinton connection going on until 2028 at least. Do you really want that?

November 4, 2007 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  17. A. Thomas, ny, ny

Hillary's downward slide has begun... The 60% of undecided voters know enough about her to know that they will not support her. She has peaked, and it's all down hill from here.

Thank the Lord.

Posted By Sarah : November 4, 2007 4:04 pm

Well, I guess you have not read the latest Newsweek poll taken after the tuesday debate, that show Hillary maintains her lead (not dropping a single point) in her national poll. Her trendline is up, while the tendlines of other dem candidates are sideways.

With respect to the 60% undecided voters that you mentioned, I just wish to say that many of them will not bother to vote in the next election, as 58% of the american eligible voters did NOT vote in the 2004 election. The undecided voters argument is only the excuse of the losing candidates.

November 4, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  18. Trollmaster, CA

in response to :Posted By nina in chattanooga : November 4, 2007 7:41 pm

Those of us that were opposed to the war from the start were right to question their government.

It is your kind that were the sheep that blindly followed the government and were proven wrong. Now the majority opposes your B.S. crusade in Iraq and saying "liberals hate America" 10000 more times will do nothing to get this support back.

November 4, 2007 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  19. scott, manchester NH

I read certain anti-hillary comments, like this one:

Posted By Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO : November 4, 2007 7:10 pm
    __________________
    .....and others, from people who sound like they're much more interested in expressing an opinion of emotion rather than one of substance..
    if you listen carefully to ALL of the republican candidates, you fast come to the conclusion that the only way those clowns are gonna gain any traction is to stay away from direct talks of substance (cuz americans get soo bored with actual details) and piece together
    a bunch of one-liners that they know americans can digest when spoon fed...
    i've personally been to Hillary's local visits and listened to her speak,and there is NO ONE that comes close to her command+grasp of the issues that need attention.
    So,while all the clinton bashers continue to line up because they're upset that their candidates are LAME as can be, the rest of america is just praying that the voters of 2008 who showed up in 2004 with (apparently) no clue what they were doing...will have come to their senses...and send republicans packing.

luggage is much cheaper than horrible leadership.

November 4, 2007 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  20. my911call, North Carolina

There is a reason why Hillary is ahead in the national polls.
    The majority of Democrats, Independents and some Republicans strongly feel that she is the best of the lot.
    All you bashers, as creative as you write, are still in the minority.
    Hillary Clinton is not a light-weight. She has been around the block several times and has survived all kinds of trash thrown at her for years. She has not come this far only to fail, but rather succeed.
    We need to give her a fair chance for the nomination.

November 4, 2007 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  21. K, Washington, DC

I am not a D or R voter. If people really want change in Washington, they are not going to consider another Clinton. As bad as all the other candidates are, vote for one of them. At least the name will not cause gridlock.

November 4, 2007 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  22. Colin742

Well, I sincerely hope George Sr. is wrong, because the only way for America to have a REAL President next term, is for Hillary to be Nominated, and when that happens, it will be RUDY in '08!!!

KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT : Nov 4 07 6:10 pm

Keith, polls all show Hillary easily beats Rudi. The firefighters believe he is resposible for many of their 911 losses

November 5, 2007 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  23. Colin742

Hillary's upward climb continues. Those who support her have already decided. The 60% of undecided voters will soon join them. it's on to th WH from here.

Thank the Lord. Sarah. We will soon have President Hillary

Posted By Sarah : November 4, 2007 4:04 pm

November 5, 2007 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  24. Chelsea Anne Garen, Vista, CA

It is not true ! Hillary will win 2008 in White House !!
    Dear George H.W. Bush, did you know that the whole country is paying the prices for Iraq War with 4000 more soldiers sacrificed because of your family business, you and your son's assumptions ?! It is a tragedy in American history! Be better to keep your mouth shut that I would respect you as before.

November 5, 2007 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  25. Marie VanDyke Royal Oak Michigan

George W Is Just Mad cause She Speaks Her mind About His Son,,Oh Well George W He is What He Is And You Are What You Are..Not A Good President You Or Your Son...Get Over It

November 5, 2007 12:10 am at 12:10 am |