November 5th, 2007

Biden calls for elections in Pakistan

Watch Sen. Biden's take on the Pakistan crisis.

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden told CNN Sunday he is not surprised by the current instability in Pakistan, and said that if he were president he would be working to ensure elections took place there in the coming weeks.

The “way out for [Pervez] Musharraf and in turn for us and Pakistan is this guarantee, making it known now that the election will go off within sixty days and there will be a fair arbiter of whether or not it was conducted fairly,” Biden told CNN's Candy Crowley in a wide-ranging interview aboard the CNN Election Express as it ambled through Iowa.

Biden spoke to former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto while campaigning in Iowa Sunday and told voters he was trying to connect with President Musharraf to talk about the political crisis in Pakistan.

The Delaware senator and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations committee agreed with the Bush administration’s decision to review U.S. aid to Pakistan and told Crowley he thinks the war in Iraq has contributed to Musharraf’s present situation.

“If you’re Musharraf and you see the last two years, our entire attention being diverted to Iraq, us not being in a position where we look like we’re in it to stay in Afghanistan, then you start cutting your own deals. I think that’s what he’s done,” Biden said.

On Iran, he expressed frustration with his fellow presidential candidates for not “connecting the dots” between the Kyl-Lieberman resolution, which calls for labeling the Iranian Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization, and a jump in oil prices.

“The idea that we don’t understand, that we don’t think of these things in terms of how connected they are. My job as president is to increase the security of the United States of America, it is not to discreetly decide who each of the bad guys are and take them out if I know in doing that the consequence is we are less safe, less secure,” he said.

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: CNN Election Express • Joe Biden
  1. Phil Chicago, Ill

Phil, go read a history book and learn a little. Then come back and have a discussion on the divisions in the Middle East.

You're the reason we should only let educated people vote.

And speaking of educating voters, Obama, and anyone who votes for him, is a fool.

Posted By Jamal : November 5, 2007 4:23 pm

—————————–

Wow, Jamal, aside from making an ad-hominem attack, what was the purpose of your post? Apparently nothing.

PLEASE – educate us Jamal. And don't start down the tired old path of 1950's Operation Ajax which help install the Shah of Iran. Or go back further to Pakistan being apart of the pre-partitioned British India. Maybe you'll share with us how the US has backed Israel and alienated muslim countries? Or you'll rant about how decades ago we supplied Bin Laden and Saddam when they were fighting Russia and Iran?

Let's hear it, Jamal. Please, enlighten us. Because from where I am sitting – it seems RATHER apparent our presence and political rhetoric telling their governments who to govern seems unwelcomed. But hey – what do I know? I don't have a muslim name, right?

November 5, 2007 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  2. Karen,ny

You know I am tired of certain people thinking that I am an idiot. I just happened to hear Jack Cafferty say that he didn't think that elections in Pakistan were such a good idea either. So, I guess that I am not such an idiot after all! PS. I also heard Lou Dobbs say that he wasn't happy about the candidates either and that we would probably be surprised who would pop up as a candidate. So, with that I am back to square one and waiting to see who pops up! I am disenchanted with the candidates also, as I've said before.

November 5, 2007 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  3. bprossersme

Biden is an opportunist. That's not good for government work let alone President. Making unauthorized contacts is following in Polosi's demise.

November 5, 2007 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  4. Jamal

Like I said, Phil, go read a book-preferably one that predates your limited knowledge the 20th century. Have fun.

And it's nice to see that you have to bring race into it. Must be the final nail in my coffin. Great comments.

November 6, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. Jack, Denver, Colorado

Biden is a nice guy, but I plan on caucusing for Hillary because she is experienced and has what it takes to win!
    Posted By Brian, Iowa : November 5, 2007 12:17 pm

....Hilary, experience? the real shocker/travesty of this presidential race is that the uninformed think Hilary has experience. Hilary's motto should be "more money than Biden, Dodd, or Richardson and more experience than Obama. Hilary experience..gosh what is the world coming to?

November 7, 2007 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Gary Ridgecrest, Calif

I love the way all of these articles show liberals in a positive light and republicans negatively. Wake up America! Get your information from independent sources. Not CNN..

November 7, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |