November 5th, 2007

Clinton: Bush shares blame for Pakistani emergency

Clinton campaigned in Iowa Sunday.

CLINTON, Iowa (CNN) - Just a day after Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency, Sen. Hillary Clinton called the current U.S. policy toward Pakistan "fundamentally incoherent" and said the "failed policies" of President Bush were partially to blame for Pervez's actions.

The administration has "diverted resources, time, and attention away from Afghanistan and from the volatile Afghanistan-Pakistan border," Clinton, D-New York, said Sunday. "They have sent mixed messages over several years now to President Musharraf that rendered our policy toward Pakistan fundamentally incoherent, and now we face a situation where it's deteriorating in terms of safety."

Clinton added that the threat is "in large measure - if not caused by - certainly contributed to by the Bush administration."

Asked if she had anything specific to say to Musharraf who on Saturday suspended the nation's constitution, Clinton said she was "disappointed" and that she hoped Musharraf will be able to move more forcefully against Islamist forces

"He hasn’t been able to sufficiently rein them in," Clinton added, "So his strategy up until now has not succeeded. I would hope he would move to restore constitutional govt as soon as possible. I don’t think the answer to the threats that Pakistan faces is ongoing emergency status."

"He’s already been subjected to I believe it's five assassination attempts, so I hope he takes stock of where he is today."

UPDATE: In response to an initial posting of this story, RNC spokesman Brian Walton issued the following statement: "From her inability to find a consistent position on Iraq and her failure to support funding for our troops, to her opposition to the monitoring of terrorist phone calls as they plot to kill Americans, Hillary Clinton clearly lacks credibility on national security."

Related video: Watch Sen. Clinton discuss the situation in Pakistan

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa • Uncategorized
  1. TransparentTrollop

"Did you really just slam the investigative reporting of CNN, then cite Wikipedia?"

Yes I did. Cheap trick huh..., but I still did a better job than CNN's reporters who continuely give Hillary free passes..

November 5, 2007 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  2. David, Dallas Tx

Daniel from Minneapolis said, TransparentTrollup- Did you really just slam the investigative reporting of CNN, then cite Wikipedia?

You'd like to think CNN would be more reliable than Wikipedia, wouldn't you?

But if you actually read the Wiki article....

Granted, the focus of CNN's article wasn't Pakistani history, it was Clinton's comments. But if 10 minutes of net research shows how little Clinton understands Pakistani politics, she has a poor understanding indeed. Maybe CNN should do a brief story surveying recent Pakistani history, to educate its readers.

Of course, I couldn't help but notice CNN's top story at the moment is Bush’s comments regarding Pakistan. They’re as ignorant as Clinton’s. In fact, they say the same thing, which is another reason I won’t vote for Clinton—her foreign policy is too much like Bush’s.

All this underscores the importance of being an informed American. You're defenseless otherwise. So again I say, thank you TransparentTrollup.

November 5, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  3. Elliott in NC

Yes Hill, let's also blame Bush for the weather...

November 5, 2007 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  4. Elliott in NC

...oh wait a minute...Fat Al already did!!

November 5, 2007 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  5. Bob, San Francisco, CA

PROOF of soundbite reliance once again displayed here on the Ticker. How many "Hillary will blame anything on Bush" comments have you seen here so far?

Last week a bunch of dimwits attacked my home city of San Francisco instead of actually addressing my arguments...the day after Bill O'Reiley foamed and raged over our beautiful city.
    Figures, huh?

Keep reading those talking points, folks. They don't call you "ditto heads" for nothin'!

November 5, 2007 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  6. Maurice Washington, Richmond, VA

"Doesn't she realize that she is not running against Bush ?"
    Posted By Jeff, San Diego, Ca. : November 5, 2007 3:45 pm

Everyone knows that! But, all the republican hopefuls are following Bush's policy 100% which is a total failure on all the fronts. And since she never supported Bush, she has to critisize his failure the same way all the republicans bash Hillary and Bill for everything including 9/11.

November 5, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. Daniel, Minneapolis MN

TransparentTrollop

Did you attend University? Do you know how foolish you look by citing Wikipedia? Respectable people won't respect you if you cite Wikipedia.

November 5, 2007 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  8. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

As much as I loath the current administration, I find Clinton's comments despicable.

November 5, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  9. Kim, Dallas, TX

What a ridiculous statement. I really don't care for Bush and what this administration has done to our country. However, Clinton is just as responsible by voting to give Bush power to go to war with Iraq...without even reading the paperwork to prepare for such a HUGE decision. I don't believe that someone who cannot think for themself, won't take the time to read something that important, and takes the pressure given to vote a certain way is someone I want as president. I am Democratic, but I don't care for her policies or her personality at all. I don't think we will see any changes at all in our government if she is voted into office. Worse yet, if she is voted as the Democratic forerunner we can expect another Republican in office. All of those candidates are spouting off about bombing Iran. It's time to wake up everyone. Let's do what's right for our country.

Bush did make a mistake with his focus on terrorism. I will NEVER believe that Iraq was anything more than an oil profit for corporate interests; specifically Haliburton. It's a shame that our country's resources so needed for the REAL mission were diverted to Iraq. Pakistan has always been a hot bed associated with terrorism, but we need them for the pipeline project with Afghanistan. Is this really a war for terrorism? Or is it a war for control of the world's natural resources. I suggest reading PNAC and drawing your own conclusion.

Hillary will make no positive changes that our country desperately needs. She is flakey when it comes to answering questions, never having a straight answer. I am really tired of this type of politician.

Obama for Change!!

November 5, 2007 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  10. Ann ME

Dear God woman, is menopause shrinking your brain? Bush is not, I repeat, Bush is not running for President. Your opponents are waiting to debate you. What's this about China having a "wish list" for you to change America?

November 5, 2007 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  11. Been there, seen that

Clinton Tactic 101 – when polls slip, blame someone for anything. Take the heat from yourself, pick on a person who is already hated to show the people you are still with them.

is anyone falling for this anymore?

November 6, 2007 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |