November 5th, 2007

Clinton: I’m attacked for winning, not for being a woman

Sen. Clinton took questions from reporters Sunday along the Mississippi River in Clinton, Iowa.

CLINTON, Iowa (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, told reporters Sunday that her Democratic rivals are attacking her simply because, as she said, she’s “winning.”

Clinton was asked about an essay written by Kate Michelman, a senior adviser to the campaign of former Sen. John Edwards, that criticized the New York senator for what she called “disingenuously playing the victim card” by bringing up gender in recent stops and emails.

“I don’t think they piled on me the other night because I’m a woman,” Clinton said. “I think they piled on because I’m winning. And that’s what happens.”

Clinton has been using the phrase “piling on” ever since Tuesday night’s Democratic debate where her opponents took various opportunities to draw contrast with her over issues like her vote to authorize the war in Iraq, her vote in support of labeling the Iranian Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization, and whether or not she’s stated clearly enough her position on New York Gov. Elliot Spitzer’s plan to give illegal immigrants driver’s licenses.

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Iowa
  1. Kim, Sacramento, CA

No Hillary, they did not pile on you because you are a woman or because you are winning. They "piled" on you because you refuse to answer questions, you refuse to state a position and if you do actually state a position you change it depending on who you talk to. This Hillary is why the other candidates said the things that they said to you last week.

November 5, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  2. Ron, TX

First she was FOR the idea that she was being attacked because she's a woman. She graciously accepted the union endorsement the day after the debate when her strategists fed the union leader the line that was she beat up by six -men-, and then she willingly adopted the line "one strong woman".

Then, she was AGAINST the idea that she was being attacked because she's a woman. Now, it's just because she's the leader. Not because she's "one strong woman" or because she's in an "all-boy's club" that she tried to play at Wellesley.

Hmm.

November 5, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  3. Bob, Seattle, WA

Hilliary is a woman to the women. A black to the black. A man to the men. A child to the children. A poor person to the poor. A forum for the lobbyist. A teacher to the teachers. A democrat for democracy. A dictator to the dictator. A dictator to the democracy. A democrat to the dictator. A religious person that doesn't believe that religion has a role in politics (never mind that religion forms the base of one's moral foundation – which indeed does affect the prism through which one views an issue). A anti-terrorist that promotes to killing of 100's of thousands of 'souls' annually (pro-abortion. Imagine the 'body bag' commercials of the anti-smoking crowd being used by the anti-abortion crowd). She is everything to everyone. A socialist at heart. Big brother to take care of everyone. Don't bother to be held accountable for yourself. Don't do anything for yourself because you are a bonafide member of 'The Hilliary Nation'. The official reservation of the Federal Government. Free to do nothing. To be nothing. (Except – vote democratic).

November 5, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  4. Joe, Indiana

I wonder when every one will finally realize that a woman in the White House can do something other than pick out the china pattern and host a social event! Don't write her off just yet. Go Hilary!

November 5, 2007 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  5. Matt, Lawrence, KS

In a country where the democratic process is considered to be alsmost sacred. Why is it that out of 300 million people only 2 families get to lead the country for almost 30 years? Vote for change.

November 5, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  6. Jeremy, Portland OR

This is one of the first articles on the ticker that I have read and not felt like CNN was just "backing" Hillary. Well written fair article. Thanks

November 5, 2007 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  7. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

The Whiner from Wellesley is being attacked because she was and is duplicitous on the "licenses for illegals" issue, and incapable of winning even 50% of the vote, therefore a loser. Oh, and a practicing victimologist too.

November 5, 2007 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  8. Anonymous

If her campaign is what winning looks like to her she has a great deal in common with George Bush and his idea of "Mission Accomplished."

Have you been to hillaryclinton.com lately? All the comments are sanitized and picked through by her staff and there's not a single event within a hundred miles of Southern California put on by real people.

Go to barrackobama.com and look for an event in your area. There are hundreds of them, all over the place, every day, put on by real people.

That, to me, is what winning is looking like.

Get a real job Hillary, one that you earned instead of one that you've been granted into by your husband.

November 5, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. Lance in Monrovia CA

She definetely does better when she says nothing at all, as she usually does at these debates.

First she accuses everyone of attacking her because she's a woman. Then the press says she's whining about losing the debate. NOW she says "wait wait wait, they're not attacking me as a woman, I mispoke, they're attacking me because I'm a winner!" Yeah, that's the ticket, Hillary.

She should have a show on t.v. and call it, "Flipper."

November 5, 2007 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  10. Liberal Chic

I hope Hillary Clinton gets all her ducks in a row by January. She's almost there, but she needs to follow through all the way.

People just can't handle a little common sense. What are you going to do with all the illegal immigrants driving on our streets. Just increase our own premiums for uninsured motorists? Or should Hillary Clinton open herself up to attacks later by saying she supports something she well knows the vast majority of Americans ignorantly disapprove. She is a statesman, not a fool.

November 5, 2007 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  11. Susan

Y'know, architecture, like politics, still tends to be dominated by the "old boys." But if you keep playing the "I'm a woman" card, you'll get nowhere.

November 5, 2007 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  12. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

Winning? I'm sure she meant whining. She's going to play the "piling on" card to the hilt, now isn't she. I sure hope folks get a grip and decide that she is not what they need as their commander and chief.

November 5, 2007 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  13. A. Republican

Please Please Please nominate this woman!

November 5, 2007 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  14. derrickm, Madison, WI

Talking about "piling on" is just another way not to answer the questions. I was all for Hillary, but it is becoming apparent she is just more of the same Washington bs. It seems like nows the time to take a stronger look at the other candidates.

November 5, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  15. Kayla, San Diego CA

I think they are critizing Hillary because she is threat to other candidates because she is a woman. It is about time this country has a leadership with someone of a different mindframe than war. What I would like to know from Hillary is why I am a 24 year old single American white girl and I have to work a full and part time job while going to school full time to pay for my education in my own country. It seems you have to be a mother on welfare or a minority in this country to be able to afford an education. Yes I am able to federal and private loans with high interest rates but I am not able to get any "free" money because I am an American? I support Hillary Clinton but if a candidate supporting Americans attending our own college education I might be persuaded to take them up on their offer!

November 5, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. Coach Haughton NH

Surprise! hillary clinton with a politically savvy statement.

November 5, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  17. Dave T, Cleveland, Ohio

Does any have the web sites that are organizing the movements to have Hillary arrested for campaign finance fraud (for starters)?

November 5, 2007 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  18. Peter, Wausau, WI

Therealist:
    I agree... I clearly remember her claiming that the other candidates are singling her out for attacks because she's a woman...

November 5, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  19. Scott,Tupelo,MS

What a great day it will be when this flip-flopping hag and the idiot George Bush are no longer around. I no this sounds mean but I truly fell this way.

November 5, 2007 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  20. J. McKinney SW MO

This is rediculous. I have watched any political debates available for the last 45 years, and I never saw everyone jump onto one person while ignoring all the other candidates before. Some were ignored completely, and the only thing Obama and Edwards said was critical of Hillary. I would love to know what Edwards and Obama plan to do IF (not likely) they become the next president, but all they can do is pile on Hillary. They would seem so much more intelligent if they would state their platform. We, the voters, are intelligent enough to decide who we want to vote for, if we have any idea what they plan, but Hillary is the only one who talks about her plans. I am so for Hillary, as she is the only one with any plans.

November 5, 2007 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  21. Markie Bee, Sacramento, Calif.

Well, here's another waffle and flip-flop. She certainly said it was because she was a woman at Wellsley College the day after the last debate. Now it's because she's winning? What is she winning? She's the leader in national polls people...polls that talk with 750 likely voters and make the claim that those 750 somehow reflect the entire electorate. And don't get me started on the CNN poll, which is conducted by Vinod Gupta – a huge Clinton supporter who had a cozy picture of him and Hillary together on his polling company's Web site until just about a month ago. I'm sure some minion from Hillaryhub pointed that out to him.

November 5, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  22. Mati, Seattle, WA

You are going to win Hillary. Don't listen to these idiots.

November 5, 2007 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  23. Kate, Grand blanc

She didn't look like she was "winning" at the last debate.

Nice try Hillary. You are being attacked because you are flip-flopping on everything.

November 5, 2007 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  24. Jen, Gainesville, FL

Another example of how quickly Hillary changed the tone after feeling the wind. Remember what she said and her campaign did on the first day after the debate! No character, no integrity at all.

November 5, 2007 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  25. Jay, Kenosha, WI

Clinton is ahead of the curve in acknowledging Iran's actions in Iraq. Moderate swing voters didn't vote for Kerry's "Bush is a Failure" campaign in 2004. Any Democrat who distances themselves from the Harry Reid "War is Lost" wing of the party will have a good chance in 2008 provided they can survive their own party.

November 5, 2007 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |