November 5th, 2007

Clinton: I’m attacked for winning, not for being a woman

Sen. Clinton took questions from reporters Sunday along the Mississippi River in Clinton, Iowa.

CLINTON, Iowa (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, told reporters Sunday that her Democratic rivals are attacking her simply because, as she said, she’s “winning.”

Clinton was asked about an essay written by Kate Michelman, a senior adviser to the campaign of former Sen. John Edwards, that criticized the New York senator for what she called “disingenuously playing the victim card” by bringing up gender in recent stops and emails.

“I don’t think they piled on me the other night because I’m a woman,” Clinton said. “I think they piled on because I’m winning. And that’s what happens.”

Clinton has been using the phrase “piling on” ever since Tuesday night’s Democratic debate where her opponents took various opportunities to draw contrast with her over issues like her vote to authorize the war in Iraq, her vote in support of labeling the Iranian Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization, and whether or not she’s stated clearly enough her position on New York Gov. Elliot Spitzer’s plan to give illegal immigrants driver’s licenses.

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Iowa
  1. RAS Seattle, WA

If Obama is attacking H. Clinton because she is a woman, then, I would wonder what kind of President he will be. How the woman's right will be affected if he becomes a President. If he is attacking Hilary because she is winning, then he is not a fair person. Hilary is indeed a woman, an excellent President she will be. One would wonder how far "she" as a woman can go from her own kitchen baking cookie or explore all the possibilities to the universe. Way to go H. Clinton.

November 6, 2007 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  2. Dave,des moines,Iowa

I would think flip flopping should be one of the things Presidential candidates should be forwarded to ethics committee and have them drop the race. This is no better than Romney!

November 6, 2007 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  3. Juanito, Washington, DC

Someone should ask Hillary what she is "winning". Oh...the national polls, right...we all know how reliable those are....paging President Dean!

November 6, 2007 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  4. Jim, Springfield, IL

I love this woman. She isn't trashing anyone, isn't being mean, just acting classy, and mature about everything. She exudes confidence, and shows everything needed and necessary to lead this country.

GO HILLARY 08!!!! WOOOO!

November 6, 2007 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  5. PAUL PROVIDENCE RI

Flip flop,women,piled on, no mater whatever you call it she doggers the issues. Please let her answer the questions and then ask her again the same questions to be more clear where she stands. I will tell you now, she will not have the same answer twice. Go back to New York and do something there.

November 6, 2007 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  6. Coach Haughton NH

She's being attacked for lying.

November 6, 2007 03:33 am at 3:33 am |
  7. mark wilkes barre pa

You can't make a pile without things to pile, Hillary could pile Mount Everest and have enough left over to repair Mount St. Helen.

November 6, 2007 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  8. Kerry, Burlington MA

To All You CNN people: Will you start covering more candidates? It seems like half of the Politics headlines, and even more than that at times, have the word Clinton somewhere in the title. She is one of what, 8 Democratic candidates? And one of what, 20 or so people actually running for President? Stop the bias. Or just be honest with yourselves and start covering Bill instead. He's the only reason anybody gives a darn about her.

November 6, 2007 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  9. Chip Celina OH

You have to admit, she's right in this statement, they did question her because she is(was) in the lead, it's the way she whined afterward that is at issue.

I don't even think they turned the heat up that much.

The dwards video "Politics of Parsing" is brilliant! The more she opens her mouth, the more it 'piles' up. The window dressing is falling off and it looks like there might be a real race out there instead of a media propped up candidacy.

Have a good day!

November 6, 2007 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  10. Mary, Beaver, PA

No, you are attacked because you are a flip-flopper who can't answer a question with a simple yes or no. Admit it, Shrillary. You couldn't ask for a glass of water if you were thirsty. However, those who have followed your "career" know you for what you are: A socialist know-it-all on domestic policy and a neo-con on foreign policy. We don't need Clinton II in the White House and we don't need Bush-Cheney lite either!

November 6, 2007 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  11. Joe, Florida

It's the truth!

Edwards is desperate already, as he knows he is about to leave the "3 leading Democrats" pack. Obama should take the VP job; he'd be great. He would then be Mr. P in 2016.

November 6, 2007 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  12. Mark, BBH, ME

She is winning because that is who the big guys/gals want to further thier agenda of defeating the founding priciples of our great nation. They espouse a socialist agenda that eliminates individuality, supresses the pursuit of happiness and thwarts the very heart of our collective consciousness.

She is only leading with people not aware of what is happening, the ones who believe the main stream media, the ones who toil and work thinking they have a choice, when in fact it has been orchstated for their benefit for many years, culminating in another stolen election, and the further destruction of our currency, our youths in harms way, our christian values of loving one another, our right under the US Constitution, and the very meaning of what it is to be American.

November 6, 2007 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  13. Terry, El Paso, TX

For the first time, single women are as numerous as married women in America. There are as many single women as there are evangelical Christians (though there are surely a lot of women in both groups).

Polling suggests that this group is going to support Sen Clinton in large numbers. As elections draw closer and closer, I predict that women will support Hillary in greater and greater numbers.

November 6, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  14. I want a Leader, Not a justice Cheater

I find all this talk of "flip flops" moronic, and stale. It's like watching a remake of a movie that was mediocre in the first place. I want a candidate who learns from lifes experiences and is OPEN MINDED about her postion. Some retards on this forum seem to think dogma is the best approach to government. If I still held the same opinion on issues I had 10 years ago, or even 5, shame on me for not growing with my experiences. This is all juvenile Spin by a bunch of people who should go bak to their Everquest conquests.

November 6, 2007 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  15. Laura Hubka

Yeah Hillary what happend to the speech you made at your alma matter about being prepared for the "boys" yeah you are not playing the gender card.

November 6, 2007 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  16. A. Thomas, New York, NY

She is right. She is being attacked, by the repub candidates, and other dems candicate, for her leading in polls. It hurts these macho men's ego for losing out to a wowan, not to mention never in the american history that a woman presidential candidate leads the polls of all men candidates. The crowd has envy and success blinds them all.

Edwards is a loser and considers himself a victim all them time. He now calls Hillary playing the woman card, while he called Obama earlier playing the blacks card, as he is neither.

Edwards should note that american has had white male presidents only, and therefore he should blame himself for not being able to beat a woman or black candidate. He should criticise himself for his policies, his negative campaigns, his $400 haircut.... I can hardly wait to see him out of the presidential race in 2 months.

November 6, 2007 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  17. Ryan Indianapolis

Oh God please shut up,,,you made your bed now lay in it. You wanted this to be about you being a woman so why are you changing your tune now?

November 6, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  18. Kate, Aurora CO

I like most other women, are excited at the thought of a woman presidential candidate, sadly though it had to be this woman. As a liberal independant I would never vote for Hillary. Her stance on illegal immigration is proof enough for me to see she does not put the interest of her voters or American citizens first. She is all about putting the interests of corporations desiring cheap labor before those of her voters. Its a shame though. I would love to see a woman in the presidential seat.

November 6, 2007 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  19. Karen,ny

I have thought this whole situation over again and even though I am not in favor of a woman as president, I feel that the only way to keep the Republicans out of office is to vote for Hillary. This can be verified by going to NewsMax.

November 6, 2007 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  20. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

Flip-Flop??? I believe that this is rubbing her opponents the wrong way because she is coming above the fray, she is winning and they just can't stand it... I predict she will learn from this, she is a very intelligent person and will understand what she needs to do, Good For you Sen. Clinton, Good for you!

November 6, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  21. Lydia, Austin, TX

I read all the comments, and wasn't going to say anything, but I think it can be all summed up by what a say country we are when you see a woman, i.e. "Karen" saying "I was not in favor of a woman for President." We consider ourselves to be a progressive country, far ahead of other countries, and yet we are sadly ahead of so many other countries in this regard... conservative to an extreme.

November 6, 2007 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  22. sf, ca

Posted By Kate, Aurora CO : November 6, 2007 10:41 am

Kate, whom do you support then if illegal immigration is proof enough for you? All Democrats support it (except Dodd) and all Republicans oppose it.

Do your homework to know that Obama and Edwards and Biden – all support giving license to illegal immigrants. If you hate Hillary with no logic, then I can not help you.

November 6, 2007 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. John, Michigan

I guess I'll pile on but only because she is a politician who is wrong. We should raise the Social Security wage-cap and we should get tougher on illegal immigrants. In fact we already should have done both.
    She could also try to get a better Senate leader (?) than Harry Reid.

November 6, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. Rose Hann New London, CT

Folks, go back and check your comments. It seems there is a bias. I wrote several which were posted and removed.
    I commented on the gender issue and it was originally brought up by Edwards wife stating her husband was at a disatvantage because of gender. Any reason other than the obvious why that was forgotten? It's a no brainer.

November 6, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  25. Kate, Aurora CO

in response to sf:

This posting was about Hillary and her statement of "winning". I was responding in regards to Hillary and thank you but I have in fact "done my homework" and am well aware Obama, Edwards and Biden's stance on illegal immigration. That is why I am not voting for any front-runner but instead am looking at second tier candidates as a possibility. Also I never said I "hated" Hillary, I admire her success as a woman in a male dominated government but I disagree with her stance on illegal immigration.

November 6, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |