November 5th, 2007

Colbert 'weeping' over Democratic rejection

Colbert's presidential bid was short lived.

NEW YORK (CNN) - With his tongue planted firmly in his cheek, Stephen Colbert said he is taking a break from his Comedy Central faux news program to mourn last week’s decision to block him from being on the South Carolina Democratic Party’s primary ballot. Even if he wanted to work, his offices would be empty because his writers are participating in the Writers Guild of America strike.

Colbert’s statement to CNN’s Showbiz Tonight on the South Carolina Democratic Party’s decision:

"I am shocked and saddened by the South Carolina Democratic Executive Council’s 13-to-3 vote to keep me off their presidential primary ballot. Although I lost by the slimmest margin in presidential election history - only ten votes - I have chosen not to put the country through another agonizing Supreme Court battle. It is time for this nation to heal.

I want say to my supporters, this is not over. While I may accept the decision of the Council, the fight goes on! The dream endures! ...And I am going off the air until I can talk about this without weeping."

The South Carolina Democratic Executive Council voted 13-to-3 vote last week to keep his name off of the presidential primary ballot.

Comedy Central was scheduled to air a re-run of Colbert’s program Monday night due to the strike.

– CNN Political Assignment Editor Katy Byron

Filed under: South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. Mike, Chicago IL

gee isn't there a writers strike going on?

November 5, 2007 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. Richard, St. Paul, MN

I wish Colbert could run. He'd be the only candidate with a brain, regardless of whatever party he chose.

November 5, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  3. Ben, Ruston. La.

Dear CNN:

I realize you don't have a Comics section, but that's where this belongs.

November 5, 2007 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  4. Jay, Kenosha, WI

CNN: We still don't care.

November 5, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  5. Bert Conner, Millwod, NY

...and with the Hollywood writer's strike in full swing, Colbert had little to say.

November 5, 2007 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  6. Dave, Cheverly, MD

I usually don’t comment on what things should be taken off of here. But this two-week-old joke is about one day short of a Fortnight (two weeks) worth of STUPIDITY. There by fully deserve to be taken off forever. Its STUPID and I have less respect for Colbert

November 5, 2007 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  7. Jeremiah Garland Athens,OH

America weeps with Stephen. You may not be South Carolina's favorite son but, whether they know it or not, you are in the hearts of every true American.

November 5, 2007 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  8. Sudano Chicago IL

I guess if he weeps over that, then he should not be president. Why don't you go to Iraq and get on the ballot.

November 5, 2007 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  9. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

And I weep with you Stephen Colbert, let the world now notice the lunacy that has gripped the land and cast a giant shadow over the integrity of the Fifth Estate!

America cries beneath the heel of the power that destroyed your candidacy.

'The Dream Endures!' is the new rallying cry of the oppressed and often ignored populace of this great country of ours! Let the Pandering be the vehicle of the Clintons as the journey to obfuscation and vaguaries continues!

The Fight Goes On! The Dream Endures!

kthxbai

November 5, 2007 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  10. Judy,nyc,ny

I wouldn't even waste my time......YOu are just like Clinton who give calculated answers......What a coincidence this is with the strike!! Why didn't you go off air immediately you were not allowed to be on the ballot...I certainly want no jokes with the next presidential candidate and I rather say it now till the pain is gone in my head to listen to another republican.....stephen, give us a break please!!

November 6, 2007 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  11. Peter Illetschko, Phoenix, AZ

My Top Ten reasons for Colbert as President:

10.) Really, do we need to have any reasons to vote for this guy?

9.) The next time a comedian goes on TV and gets the guys from Crossfire fired it could be the Prez himself.

8.) Nacho Cheese Doritos

7.) Second best interviewer after John Stewart. Maybe this way the leader of the free world can actually hold a conversation with the rest of the leaders of the free world. Instead of just trying to look like they are having a good time together.

6.) 1.200.000 Friends on Facebook

5.) "I, Stephen Colbert, do hereby pledge to practice absinth-tinence by remaining absinth-tinent from Absinthe . . . Since Absinthe incidents in many instances induce incipient synesthetic inspiration and sinister synthetic insistence on sin, I sincerely insist I will be absent from instances of Absinthe ingestion, this instant".
    If you can say this really fast, you can run this country better then most current runners-for-the-presidency.

4.) ~4200 new voter registrations since putting a link up on Facebook, thats 1 voter a minute. Maybe soon 53 percent in the great state of South Carolina go vote.

3.) The other guys didn't think that he was who they thought he was. They let him off the hook!

2.) Vice President: John Stewart

1.) He is funnier then W, and he does it on purposery.

November 6, 2007 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  12. Brent, Durham NC

colbertforsouthcarolina.com

Let's get him back on the horse

November 6, 2007 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  13. alan St Louis MO

That would be funny if they let him run.

This election we need some real issues to be fixed. Him running in the election might steal enuf votes to cause an underisable canidate to win. The election in 2012 Go for it. But now hold off till we are out of this cowboy diplomacy nitemare of the world. And children who are doomed to pay off thousands of dollars of medical debt before they even become adults lol.

November 6, 2007 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  14. Joe, Florida

You know, I would not be surprised if, some years from now, this man becomes President. These things have a way of happening in America. People didn't take him seriously now, but the future is uncertain. From now on, it all depends on his actions.

November 6, 2007 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  15. MGarcia, Santa Ana, California

Even though Stephen Colbert will not have the opportunity to be president, I would still like to see an age-progression image of what he would look like after eight years in office as President of the United States – I'm sure it would be much more interesting than the age-progression images of Britney Spears we are currently suffering.

November 6, 2007 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  16. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

Okay, there is something seriously wrong with this website, too many comments get deleted. I will now stop visiting cnn.com.

November 6, 2007 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  17. Jim, Topeka, KS

He has the forum, run a write in campaign and run it for both tickets. Nothing to lose and heck have some fun at their expense at the same time.

November 6, 2007 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  18. Christian, Tampa FL

Selfish Hollywood writers! They are ruining America's fun.

November 6, 2007 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  19. Matt, Springfield, IL

I'm glad to see Colbert take two very negative things (the 13-3 and the writer's strike) and make it comedy. He should run Green Party. About time we give ol' Ralph Nader a break...

November 6, 2007 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. RealityKing

Let'm strike... WHO CARES!! It won't last long.
    These types of arrogant, opinioned, politically biased blowhards can't stand to be bottled up for long anyway. Add to that an election year, and I'd bet it lasts less than 2 weeks. Let'm eat crow..

November 6, 2007 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  21. thecomedian

Funny how these Hollywood comedians are nothing but hollow faces without their written monologs to read from. Larry, Moe and Curly must be proud..

November 6, 2007 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  22. Mark, Shreveport, La

1) is he not smart enough to write his own material? If he was a different kind of candidate, he would not rely so heavily on writers like other traditional candidates do.
    2) The strike gives him a convenient excuse not to attack Democrats, which would be like Rush Limbaugh attacking Republicans.

November 6, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. summus

I heard Obama's people lobbied to keep him off the ballot.

November 6, 2007 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  24. AJ, Chicago IL

Colbert was never serious about running for President. His request to be on the SC Ballot makes me ashame to be a South Carolinaian. With the current state of the oil world teetering on an arms race and more instability, Colbert's antics does Presidential politics an injustice.

He should be spending his time figuring out his show scripts with writers, directors, and etc. discussing going on strikes.

November 6, 2007 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |