Former Vice President Walter Mondale endorses Clinton for president.
CLINTON, Iowa (CNN) - Former Vice President Walter Mondale said Sunday that he’s endorsing Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, because he believes she is running a positive bid for the White House and not stooping to “personal attacks” on other candidates.
“One thing that I like about her campaign,” Mondale said, “is that she’s stayed focused on her positive vision for change. She knows that it’s not the time to tear down our fellow Democrats with personal attacks.”
Mondale served under former President Jimmy Carter as the 42nd vice president of the United States.
“Being in the White House and running and leading our country is tough business,” Mondale added. “I’ve been there.”
“Hillary has the strength and experience to do it, to change the course that America’s on.”
Then it was Clinton's turn at the podium.
“I cannot tell you how totally honored I am to be here with someone whom I have admired all my adult life,” Clinton said. “Walter Mondale has served our country starting by serving his native state of Minnesota and then serving the United States with such distinction, such passion for what really matters in peoples lives.”
Mondale ran for president himself in 1984 but was defeated in a landslide victory by incumbent Republican President Ronald Reagan.
The two appeared together at a stop in the eastern Iowa city of Clinton and held a joint press conference on the banks of the Mississippi River.
Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com
-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch
Xymex – (if you are still out there)
I knew I could get someone to bite. You figured out I was being sarcastic. Wow, that is surprising. Now to clarify my beliefs on how I have been indoctrinated.
1. No Xymex, your missing the point I was trying to make. Perhaps I should have been more clear but I was not referring to private individuals who I depend on for the basic necessities of life. I was suggesting that liberal politicians tend to want the government to provide everything and be in total control. This is how they maintain their power. (see Lenin, Hitler, Mussolini, Chavez, etc) Liberal citizens tend to want everything provided to them by the government.
I personally do not want the government to be involved in my personal life whatsoever. I do not need their assistance to pay my bills, go to the doctor, buy food, educate my children, or decide how I can worship.
2. No I do not feel that the government is using my money wisely. And I do not think that by obtaining more of it they would make better choices. All I know is that democrats will take more of my money to pay for things I don’t agree with. (I.E., giving savings bonds to every newborn child – notice the word give – I don’t want the government to give me anything and I don’t want them to use their police powers to take my money to give it to others. I donate a lot of money. I don’t need the government to tell me where I have to “donate” my money.
3. Ok, you got me on this one. What I should have said is that liberals treat global warming as if it were a religion. I can honestly say I have never heard anyone call global warming their religion. Please accept my apology on behalf of all of the rational people in the world who know that an avg. temperature climb of 1 degree over the last 100 years is not much of a warming trend.
4. Sorry, I was educated in government schools and cannot go from 1 to 10 without skipping four.
5. The Patriot Act violates my freedoms. No, I don’t think so. It violates the rights of known terrorists who are not citizens of the United States and therefore not entitled, nor do they deserve any protection from the Bill of Rights. Yeah I know, Bush violated the search and seizure thing by obtaining wiretaps without approval. Who cares, Bush is a moron and most Republicans are morons as well.
6. No my friend, universal health care does not work. When the government is in charge of things they don’t improve the efficiency. In fact, it is usually the opposite. More paperwork, more red tape, more incompetence. If you don’t believe me that’s fine. (we can both throw out stats all day long to support our claims.) Again, I don’t want to depend on the government for anything, much less my health. I will take my chances and pay for my own health care. It is MY responsibility to take care of myself and my family.
7. Yes, our borders have been uncontrolled for decades. Conservatives for the most part want to close them. Liberals on the other hand will hand over the keys to the gates so that they can get the latino vote.
8. No I am not suggesting that people should not be allowed to question or speak out against the military. I just don’t want to be around them because they make me want to vomit.
9. Yes, I do think the government should have a role in legislating morality. Just not the federal government. The Constitution lets it be known exactly what the role of the federal government is, and what it is not. Our federal government has completely lost control and has taken over most of the functions that the states were supposed to deal with. We do have laws that legislate morality. One that comes to the top of my head is murder. Which is exactly what occurs when a mother kills her unborn child.
And just for your information, I do believe that our nation was founded on Christian principals. If you are any sort of scholar or historian and take the time to read documents from that time period, you will clearly understand this. I also strongly support the 1st amendment. The federal government shall make no law establishing a religion.
Unfortunately the “Separation of Church and State” phrase coined by Thomas Jefferson (an avid Christian who authorized Church services in the U.S. Capital by the way) has been used by the liberal establishment to try to remove religion from our lives. The federal government should not make a law which says a person has to worship a particular God. But they should also not be involved with schools, etc who decide what to teach and what not to teach. That should be left up to the individual county, district, or state. If I don’t want my kids to learn about a particular religion at school then I have choices. I can leave that particular school, or that particular county, or the state for that matter until I find a school that fits with my beliefs.
Xymex it is ashamed that I will never convince you to see things my way, and you will never convince me to see things your way. Liberals and Conservatives should just separate. We are both wasting each others time and getting absolutely nothing accomplished. Even if our wacko President has a good idea, the liberal democrats won’t go with it. And even if our wacko Speaker of the House has a good idea, the conservative Republicans won’t go with it. How about you guys take the left,
I mean West coast, and we’ll take the right, I mean East coast? Sounds like a good plan to me. What do you think?