November 5th, 2007

Paul's November 5 fundraising push

Rep. Ron Paul has surprised pundits and his rivals with his fundraising.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Presidential campaigns and supporters use all sorts of gimmicks to try and raise money, such as celebrating birthdays, winning a chance to dine with a candidate and marking November 5 as an anniversary.

Huh? November 5?

Supporters of Rep. Ron Paul’s presidential bid are using this date to help boost the Texas Republican’s campaign coffers, in what is being described as a massive grassroots on-line fundraising drive. The significance? Well, in English history a gentleman by the name of Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Houses of Parliament, which was the subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

One of the leaders behind the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. Paul’s presidential campaign said the idea did not come from the Texas congressman, but they are promoting the progress of this fundraising drive. As of late Monday afternoon, the Paul campaign claims it raised over $2.7 million, a figure that cannot be independently confirmed until Federal Election Commission reports are filed at the end of the year.

Paul, who is registering in the low single digits in most polls, raised $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period.

Related video: Ron Paul's fundraising shocker

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. sean,boston,ma

This is sounding more like advertising than news.....Hey I forgot they just have calm down with Hillary advertsement. I want a real thing
    Obama 08!

November 6, 2007 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  2. Matt, Norman, OK

4 million dollar gimmick?

Where do you guys get off?

November 6, 2007 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  3. Brad, Beale Air Force Base, CA

We started the day with a 4th quarter total of $2.7 million in contributions. We finished the day with $7.1 million!

November 6, 2007 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  4. Schratboy, Boulder CO

Over 3 & 3/4 million dollars in one day! Not too shabby for someone the lame stream media refuses to acknowledge.

November 6, 2007 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  5. Thompson,Ks,Mo

anyone who has republican roots, not my vote, doesn't matter black or white!!

November 6, 2007 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  6. Jose Pulido, St. Louis MO

It is now up to $4.2 million.
    CNN Should make a more recent post and have this on top rather than something about Colbert. This makes Paul the leader among Republicans on single day donations. Furthermore, every article about Paul talks about how he has low support in the polls, but the polls only take into account long-term registered Republicans and not independents who can make a primary.

November 6, 2007 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  7. keith Austin, TX

The terrible picture was obviously intentional. Like saying "the Paul campaign claims it raised.." Shameful journalism.

November 6, 2007 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  8. Andrew, NJ

the official # is 4.2 million in 24 hours. Pretty insane if you think about, since he raised a total of 5.2 million for Q3

November 6, 2007 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  9. Adam, Waukesha, WI

I think that showing Ron Paul more on CNN would help boost CNN's credibility. I see the same discussions about the same candidates over and over. The cable news channels are giving these mainstream candidates free press. I propose an experiment. Have all the cable news channels talk about Ron Paul all week and see how his poll ratings look at the end of the week.

November 6, 2007 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  10. Ground Chuk, Dayton Ohio

The CNN Bunch are scared. Ron Paul isn't who they want. They want a candidate who will funnel money to them. Ron Paul won't do that.

Wake Up America!!

November 6, 2007 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  11. Sean, St. Louis, MO

This is getting pretty disgusting that this hasn't made the front page of any major news source, and is already pretty much buried on CNN. The bias is quite obvious here.

November 6, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  12. Louis Tash

Ron Paul is the only honest candidate running for the office of President of the United States that I have seen in my lifetime. In all the past elections in my life it has always been a choice of who would do the least damage to the country. For me that has always seemed to be a Democrat. With Ron Paul I see a chance to stop the selling off of the American dream. I saw Dick Chaney say on the news that a weak dollar is good for America. A year earlier he moved 25,000,000.00 USD into E.U. Funds. That to me is a traitorous act. I am American I believe in this country and I believe in Ron Paul. So for the first time in my life I am voting for a Republican for President. For the first time in my life I am giving my money to a candidate. It is Ron Paul’s message of a bi-metallic currency and true freedom that has sold me on this campaign and this man. But most of all it is his honesty.

November 6, 2007 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  13. Derek, Honolulu, HI

I totally agree with some of the previous posts here. We want to hear less about Giuliani, Obama, and Clinton and more about someone who abides by the U.S. Constitution - Ron Paul.

CNN is starting to make me wonder too. Why the frowning picture of Ron Paul? Why do you spend so much of the article questioning the "claims" made by the campaign of a man who has shown himself to be the most principled politician in DC?

November 6, 2007 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  14. Josh Hartford, CT

Ron Paul is the only choice we have that manages the impossible. He tells the truth! I feel as though Dr. Paul is getting blackballed by the media. The main stream media has yet to say anything constructive or relevant. They talk about his smile and the way he looks? Those are the only things they can attack. Certainly not his voting record, principles, Christian faith, or plans for a prosperous America.

November 6, 2007 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  15. Ssee, Washington DC

Ron Paul has raised a little over $4 million in one day. That's four times what Mike Huckabee raised in the entire last quarter. And yet on CNN website you have a small link to Ron Paul history in the making ... I find that odd

November 6, 2007 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  16. Lynn, Ocean, NJ

I am no fan of the Rep party yet every time I hear Ron Paul I become more and more convinced that is the smartest candidate with the most integrity. I hope he continues to shock and awe!!

November 6, 2007 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  17. Brett, Phoenix, AZ

ronpaul2008.com – that's what caught my attention all those months ago

November 6, 2007 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  18. Steve Mantua, NJ

Hmmm...less government, lower taxes, and an exit from Iraq. I've heard worse ideas from this batch of candidates on both sides of the isle. Although I really don't believe Paul will win the nomination, I hope $4-mil in one day is atleast a wakeup call to other candidates that his values reflect those of many Americans.

November 6, 2007 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  19. Chris, Bellingham, WA

Same approach yields same results. Finally, we have a new approach to immigration, social security, governmental overspending...Ron Paul.

November 6, 2007 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  20. frank, san diego, ca

CNN and the rest of the mainstream media continue to try to marginalize Ron Paul and make him appear as a fringe candidate when he is the only candidate representing the people and the constitution.

November 6, 2007 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  21. DefendTheConstitution

That's right mainstream media. $4.2+ million in a single day from 37,000+ very enthusiastic donors!

Will you guys start treating Dr Paul with some respect now and discuss his policies in an intelligent and informed manner rather than blowing him off as some kind of moonbat and throwing juvenile remarks at his campaign?

Will you start giving him an equal level of reportage or keep trying to suppress his message?

The people have spoken. They are tired of big corrupt government. They are tired of lazy and biased journalism.

Keep trying to manipulate this election and the media will lose the tiny fragment of credibility it has left.

November 6, 2007 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  22. Aaron, Williamsport, PA

Ron Paul is a strong candidate. He is intelligent, confident, dependable, and reliable. He hasnt wavered his views and has been very accurate for the past 20+ years in his actions and words and opinions. This man has more potential than anyone running. I really hope and pray that CNN, FOX, and all the mainstream media with the BIG BUCKS, can really take a good look at this candidate. He is really in my mind the ideal president. He wants change and some of his ideas appear drastic to people, but overall they are FOR THE PEOPLE, and to BENEFIT the people. There is no personal gain in anyyything this man is asking for. RESEARCH IT AND YOU WILL SEE. He is true and a real American citizen. GO RON PAUL!!!

November 6, 2007 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  23. Dan, Moscow, Idaho

Guiliani doesnt have a chance. America needs and wants a change, not another war hungry Bush wannabe. Ron Paul's record is better than any other Presidential candidate. I dont know where CNN and other news media get their polls. Maybe from Democrates who dont want a real contender like Ron Paul?

November 6, 2007 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  24. Vanessa, Las Vegas, Nevada

It's obvious how the media is ignoring Ron Paul...guess what...he's not going away, and we're behind him...the American people are supporting him and I certainly wish that CNN would represent him in a fair light! Hey...BTW...it's over $4 MILLION! What a gimmick...NOT!

November 6, 2007 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  25. Adam Walter, Detroit MI

Another pathetic attempt to triviliaze Dr. Paul. It's funny; this college professor Levinson was really kind to CNN in his lecture on the mass media's mistreatment on the Paul campaign (google it) but by now, I don't think anyone could be so unobservant not to notice the discrimation.

November 6, 2007 03:30 am at 3:30 am |