November 5th, 2007

Paul's November 5 fundraising push

Rep. Ron Paul has surprised pundits and his rivals with his fundraising.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Presidential campaigns and supporters use all sorts of gimmicks to try and raise money, such as celebrating birthdays, winning a chance to dine with a candidate and marking November 5 as an anniversary.

Huh? November 5?

Supporters of Rep. Ron Paul’s presidential bid are using this date to help boost the Texas Republican’s campaign coffers, in what is being described as a massive grassroots on-line fundraising drive. The significance? Well, in English history a gentleman by the name of Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Houses of Parliament, which was the subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

One of the leaders behind the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. Paul’s presidential campaign said the idea did not come from the Texas congressman, but they are promoting the progress of this fundraising drive. As of late Monday afternoon, the Paul campaign claims it raised over $2.7 million, a figure that cannot be independently confirmed until Federal Election Commission reports are filed at the end of the year.

Paul, who is registering in the low single digits in most polls, raised $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period.

Related video: Ron Paul's fundraising shocker

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Troy, Greeley, CO

I don't know why they deleted my first comment that they had posted for about an hour...

I'll say it again. This article is an attempt to smear Ron Paul and the millions of American people who stand by what America is all about.

The truth may stink for those who bow down to Corporate America, but the truth is, Ron Paul is more popular than you would have the American people believe.

November 6, 2007 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  2. J.

I agree with Jonathon. The picture and diction is somewhat disconcerting. Even looking at the pictures that are still on the ticker web page, many show certain candidates smiling or engaged in animated discussion, whereas certain other candidates are frequently pictured as frowning or grim-faced. Perhaps this is unintentional, but CNN should try to balance the pictures used. I cannot vote and I am not American. I find political interference by media organizations very troublesome, however.

November 6, 2007 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  3. Matt, Columbia, MO

yea what's with the grumpy looking picture, come on mass media, give the guy a chance and stop trying to brain wash the American people. 4.2 million not 2.7

November 6, 2007 03:40 am at 3:40 am |
  4. Jordan, San Francisco CA

Over $4 million in one day and they're still not giving Dr. Paul the credit and/or the publicity he and his message deserves. His message isn't radical or unobtainable, it's irrefutable and realistic. Why promote the the shallow, dull, indistinguishable messages of all other presidential candidates when the mainstream media can give credit where the credit is due. I have my reasons. Do you have yours?
    There's no other sensible, logical choice in 2008 other than Dr. Ron Paul.

November 6, 2007 03:49 am at 3:49 am |
  5. Daniel, NY

Could Ron Paul actually be a factor in the GOP primaries? Remember, a very recent New Hampshire poll had Paul running at 7.5%, AHEAD of Fred Thompson!!! Link.

November 6, 2007 03:52 am at 3:52 am |
  6. James

The arts of power and all its minions are the same in all countries and in all ages. It marks its victim; denounces it; and excites the public odium and the public hatred, to conceal its own abuses and encroachments. -Henry Clay-

You would think CNN would be above this. Fox news on the other hand... but then you are controlled by the same State.

November 6, 2007 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  7. Louis Tash

Ron Paul is the only honest candidate running for the office of President of the United States that I have seen in my lifetime. In all the past elections in my lifetime it has always been a choice of who would do the least damage to the country. For me that has always seemed to be a Democrat. With Ron Paul I see a chance to stop the selling off of the American dream. I saw Dick Chaney say on the news that a weak dollar is good for America. A year earlier he moved 25,000,000.00 USD into E.U. Funds. That to me is a traitorous act. I am American I believe in this country and I believe in Ron Paul. So for the first time in my life I am voting for a Republican for President. For the first time in my life I am giving my money to a candidate. It is Ron Paul’s message of a bi-metallic currency and true freedom that has sold me on this campaign. But most of all it is his honesty.

November 6, 2007 04:02 am at 4:02 am |
  8. R Anderson, Loveland, CO

It takes only a little thought to realize that Paul supporters utilize technology to organize and communicate. That's why he wins post debate polls and online polls. I believe the way the national polls are conducted are not reaching the supporters. I have no doubt they will also show up at the polls that count.

November 6, 2007 04:03 am at 4:03 am |
  9. Marty, Sacramento CA

Ron Paul may be one of the only candidates to consistently vote to end the war, but the rest of his policies are being ignored by his supporters, and they are quite concerning. Ron Paul, while not a serious political threat, would be a danger to the country if elected.

Look what the Republicans have done to the US over the last 6 years, and ask yourself: do we need another Republican president?

The answer is a resounding 'NO.'

November 6, 2007 04:07 am at 4:07 am |
  10. James, Alexandria, VA

If this was Hitlery or Osama Obama who raised $4 million in 1 day it would be the top headline on CNN right now. This country is a joke and no longer a democracy. I donated $300 today and feel it will be in vain but I will hold out hope that this country can right itself.

November 6, 2007 04:27 am at 4:27 am |
  11. J, Omaha NE

I will be registering republican for the first time in my life (I'm traditionally an independent). why? I'm voting for the good doctor in the Nebraska primaries, and anyone who wants our country, ideals, and civil liberties back should as well.

November 6, 2007 04:33 am at 4:33 am |
  12. Robert, Green Bay, WI

Sure would be wonderful if a decent candidate like Dr. Paul were president. He is a true patriot!! I know there are individuals at CNN who would love to give this man the media coverage he deserves. Your courage in doing so would truly be ... Patriotic! God Bless and Good Luck on reporting the truth!!

November 6, 2007 04:35 am at 4:35 am |
  13. Robert, Green Bay, WI

Sure would be wonderful if a decent candidate like Ron Paul won the presidency ... he is a true patriot. I know there are individuals that would love to give this man the media coverage he deserves ... that would truly be patriotic! God Bless and Good Luck reporting the truth!!

November 6, 2007 04:35 am at 4:35 am |
  14. Eric, Chino Hills, CA

I wonder if CNN will ignore this amazing feat today as they did yesterday.

November 6, 2007 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  15. Evan Rogers, Dublin Ohio

In one day, Ron Paul broke the record for how much money raised through the internet in one day. He has raised the most money in one day for the 2008 campaign, it's not even 2008 yet.

Acc'ding to my calculations based off of his website he raised at least $4.4m in one day. The record is held by John Kerry which was $5.7m. John Kerry was the front running democrat, Ron Paul is, sadly, one of the underdogs of the republican party. THIS IS AMAZING.

Ron Paul, in this one day, got his money from 37,000 individual donors... That is, what doesn't seem like much, but .012% of the American population in ONE DAY before the initial primaries(based off of the CIA world factbook). I don't know about you, but that's an astonishing feat, not a gimmick.

The aim of this "gimmick" was $1m, he got 450% that. It's not a gimmick.

Polling in the low single digit percentages? He's won the most straw polls in republican straw polls, and that's with such little support from his own party. He's come in first place and beat almost all of his republican rivals in these straw polls. he's beaten Mitt Romney 2 times as many times as Mitt has beat him. He's beaten Giuliani (who doesn't even have the support of his own New York police dept) 6 times more often than vice versa. And, in comparing the other candidates, the coefficients sky rocket up to 35.

The funniest part is that CNN.com uses such harsh language against Ron Paul ("Gimmick"), but, as we proved yesterday, Ron Paul's support is a grass roots organization that is incredibly strong through the internet. WATCH OUT CNN!! You're making fun of the candidate who has the largest internet support!!

November 6, 2007 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  16. Jonathan Turner, Tampa, Florida

Interesting how you all have decided to focus on this bogus conspiracy theory and trying to tie the date to violent acts. Frankly, as an American, that offends me. Ron Paul is the candidate that has the most integrity, honesty, and backbone of ANY current candidate, and I dare say of any past president in a long, long time.
    You all did not even mention the fact that, with just the $2.7 million at the time of the report, the amount set the record for online donations in election history. You did not even mention the fact that he was approaching Mitt Romney's single largest donation day of $3.1 million (not just online either). And by the way, before the day was out, Ron Paul's numbers were in the neighborhood of $4 million. Spin reporting at it's finest!! Congratulations for trying to smear the best candidate we've had in long, long time... you all should be very proud.

November 6, 2007 04:59 am at 4:59 am |
  17. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

"Money for nuthin' ..."

November 6, 2007 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  18. Stacey Fort, Albuquerque New Mexico

What a disgrace that mainstrem media is failing to report on the will of the people!! If CNN reported the facts instead of the slanted views that are in their financial interest then it would allow people to hear Ron Paul's message of Liberty!! AND believe me once you hear his message you will have no doubts on who to vote for in 2008. He is clearly the only candidate that can save America from the financial ruin that the Bush administration has created. Don't trust the mainstrem media to give you the facts, hear Ron Paul for yourself at RONPAUL2008.COM.

November 6, 2007 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  19. Adam, Plano, TX

way to go Ron Paul. now lets hope it means something come primary time, cause all the other republicans suck.

November 6, 2007 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  20. Jeana, Durham, NC

Time to update your story guys: it's 4 million.

As to the highly condescending tone of the article – I think Gandhi said it best:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

They've ignored us, now they're laughing. C'mon guys, we're going to WIN!

November 6, 2007 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  21. Bruce Arnold; Anderson, Missouri

The final numbers from Ron Paul's Nov. 5th fundraising:

$4.3 MILLION.

From over 38 THOUSAND individual donors.

This is HUGE, and unprecedented in U.S. history (for a grassroots fundraising effort, not counting big corporate fundraisers).

HOW is this NOT all that CNN is talking about? If CNN's fav-rave Hillary had done this, we'd be hearing about it constantly for a WEEK.

Wake up, elitist "MainStream Media" – we're on to your tricks, and we're going elsewhere for REAL news!

November 6, 2007 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  22. bret, atl, ga

CNN discounts anyone not named Huckabee or McCain, nevermind the fact that nobody in their right mind donates money to those clowns.

The People are speaking! Go hear it for yourself.

November 6, 2007 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  23. Steven DuPont,Austin Texas

Why is this not on the front page, CNN?? His campaign has raised over $3.8 million, more then 35,000 total donations, in one day. I think it's time that Ron Paul is taken seriously, and given the respect he deserves.

November 6, 2007 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  24. Darryl Schmitz, St. Johns, MI

Thank you for the coverage, CNN.com!
    Please suggest to your TV associates that viewers would like to get Ron Paul's take on the constitutional crisis in Pakistan, since Paul has been a strong advocate of adherance to our own Constitution.

November 6, 2007 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  25. Nicholas, Athens, GA

Doesn't it look like the tone of this article is implying that the fundraising numbers are made up or inflated? Is that normal for articles about political fundraising?

November 6, 2007 08:01 am at 8:01 am |